Thread: Zika Virus

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is a current map:

All Countries & Territories with Active Zika Virus Transmission

As of May 12, 2016

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/active-countries.html

ValerieSaponara

Thumbs up Zika HAS BEEN reported in ARUBA as of April 2016.

Randi- not sure where you're getting your info, but if you look at the CDC in the US you can see Aruba has several reported cases of Zika in Aruba. There are 4 cases in Aruba regarding locals who have it and one US tourist who came back in April 2016 fell ill and was testing positive for Zika and Aruba was the only place he had traveled in months.

So for those tourists that ARE concerned about Zika, here is what I have to say:

Don't worry too much about this, unless you're planning to have a baby sometime within the next 6 months. Women carry it for 8 weeks and men can carry it up to 6 months. It is sexually transmitted and they HAVE found live virus samples in saliva alone. SO, be careful, go to the USA's CDC site and read "recommended" methods of preventing mosquito bites, and Zika. Get a bug spray that has 20% or more of DEET, and consider permetherin for treating your cloths before going to the island. Just be careful and use those and you should be fine.

I've been going to Aruba for over 11 years now (4-5 times a year) and I have never once been bitten by a mosquito ever. Maybe im luck, but the steady 10-15 mile/hour winds going across the island at all times sure helps.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Well thankfully this virus has not been reported in Aruba yet. With Aruba being in such close proximity to many of the effected areas it certainly is a concern. Does anyone who lives in Aruba know if the government is starting to get prepared for this? Are they contemplating spraying areas known for standing water, etc?

This is an obvious concern for woman (and possibly men) of child bearing age not to mention pregnant women.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

when randi made the posting in JANUARY, there were NO reported cases in Aruba at that point. (Jan 2016)

i have been visiting aruba, like you, for a long time.
    we have seen mosquitos...at dawn, dusk, on Ren island, having dinner at outdoor restaurants and on our patio at our timeshares.
    we have been bitten. not often, but bitten nonetheless.
    you have been VERY fortunate not to have been bitten in your 44+ visits.
    my husband, and I not so fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by ValerieSaponara View Post
    Randi- not sure where you're getting your info, but if you look at the CDC in the US you can see Aruba has several reported cases of Zika in Aruba. There are 4 cases in Aruba regarding locals who have it and one US tourist who came back in April 2016 fell ill and was testing positive for Zika and Aruba was the only place he had traveled in months.

So for those tourists that ARE concerned about Zika, here is what I have to say:

Don't worry too much about this, unless you're planning to have a baby sometime within the next 6 months. Women carry it for 8 weeks and men can carry it up to 6 months. It is sexually transmitted and they HAVE found live virus samples in saliva alone. SO, be careful, go to the USA's CDC site and read "recommended" methods of preventing mosquito bites, and Zika. Get a bug spray that has 20% or more of DEET, and consider permetherin for treating your cloths before going to the island. Just be careful and use those and you should be fine.

I've been going to Aruba for over 11 years now (4-5 times a year) and I have never once been bitten by a mosquito ever. Maybe im luck, but the steady 10-15 mile/hour winds going across the island at all times sure helps.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum Valerie!

You two must have some very sweet blood Andrea!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    hahaha it is not often, but we have been bit.
    our worst experiences have been at some outdoor seating restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum Valerie!

You two must have some very sweet blood Andrea!

I am not sweet so I typically don't get bitten. My wife and son, they are much sweeter and tastier for the skeeters because they both have been bitten, lol. That said I think it was only really only one of our trips with our son he got bitten.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.simplemost.com/mosquitoes...m_content=WFTS

interesting tidbits on who mosquitos like and dislike

I guess that explains it, the skeeters think I smell bad and I am anything but tasty, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    http://www.simplemost.com/mosquitoes...m_content=WFTS

interesting tidbits on who mosquitos like and dislike

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Women and the Zika virus: Smart questions and a few solid answers

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article82839907.html

"Mosquitoes like people who drink beer"...I'm itchy already!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast