Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

We drink beer( a lot- after all it's vacation) and neither of us have ever been bit by a mosquito in 8 trips. My husband only drinks beer(balashi) while I do indulge in a mixed drink here and there.

We paid for our honeymoon last night giving Zika the BIG MIDDLE FINGER!

Aruba since 1979
    well there ya go!

Quote Originally Posted by agager84@gmail.com View Post

Good for you!!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Right ON!!!

I'm wondering if there are any stores on the island that sell Thermacells and the butane cartridges. These are hand held electronic mosquito repellents that use butane cartridges to heat the repellent. Not overly worried about mosquito’s as I haven’t had a problem with them on past visits but might by one of these if they are sold on the island.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

have you checked amazon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I'm wondering if there are any stores on the island that sell Thermacells and the butane cartridges. These are hand held electronic mosquito repellents that use butane cartridges to heat the repellent. Not overly worried about mosquito’s as I haven’t had a problem with them on past visits but might by one of these if they are sold on the island.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Zika Virus Tied to Birth Defects in 6 Babies, Fetuses in U.S.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports data as of June 9

By Betsy McKay

Updated June 16, 2016 5:00 p.m. ET

The Zika virus has been tied to birth defects in the babies and fetuses of six women in the U.S. who were infected during their pregnancies, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Thursday.

Three of the women have given birth to infants with birth defects linked to Zika, such as microcephaly and brain damage, the CDC said, citing data reported to its U.S. Zika pregnancy registry as of June 9.

Three others lost babies with birth defects, either through miscarriage, stillbirth or termination of pregnancy. The data are collected from U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

The infections were all travel-related. Most Zika-infected pregnant women in the U.S. contracted the virus while in a country where Zika is circulating, the CDC has said. At least two were infected through sexual contact, CDC Director Tom Frieden said last week.

Overall, 234 pregnant women had tested positive for Zika infection in the U.S. as of June 9, according to the registry. More than half of the pregnancies are still under way, Denise Jamieson, co-lead of a pregnancy and birth-defects task force for the CDC’s Zika response, said in an interview.
    The CDC is reporting on Zika-related birth defects in completed pregnancies only, she said.

The six cases reported on Thursday are among fewer than 117 Zika-related pregnancies in the U.S. that have ended either through a live birth or pregnancy loss, Dr. Jamieson said.
    The CDC currently estimates a pregnant woman infected with Zika in her first trimester faces a risk of between 1% and 13% that her unborn child will develop microcephaly, which is an unusually small head for gestational age, Dr. Jamieson said. The current number of cases of birth defects—about 5% or less of total completed pregnancies—falls within that range.

But another study in Rio de Janeiro has found a 29% risk that any of a range of abnormalities could develop from infection at any point during a pregnancy. Brazil has had the largest number of babies born with birth defects related to Zika.

The CDC didn’t identify the six women in the cases disclosed on Thursday, but at least three cases of Zika-related birth defects in the U.S. have been publicly detailed.

Health authorities in Hawaii reported in January that a woman there who had lived in Brazil had given birth to a baby with microcephaly.
    A baby girl with birth defects, including microcephaly, was born two weeks ago in New Jersey to a woman from Honduras who had been infected with Zika.
    In another case reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, a woman in Washington, D.C., who had been infected while on vacation in Central America, terminated her pregnancy after doctors discovered severe brain damage in her fetus.

Dr. Jamieson said the latest findings were concerning and said they serve as a reminder that pregnant women should avoid travel to areas where Zika is circulating. “U.S. travelers are at risk for these outcomes,” she said. “The pattern that we’re seeing here is very similar to the pattern that we’re seeing in other places.” The virus, normally transmitted by mosquitoes, hasn’t been found to be circulating in the U.S.

The CDC has said Zika can cause congenital abnormalities that include microcephaly, severe brain damage such as absent or malformed brain structures, calcium deposits that signal inflammation in the brain, abnormal eye development and other damage that affects nerves, muscles and bones. Such birth defects have been documented in Brazil, Colombia and other countries as well as Puerto Rico.

“The abnormalities that we’re seeing are consistent with what we’ve described as congenital Zika virus infection,” Dr. Jamieson said. She said the agency plans to report outcomes of pregnancies of Zika-infected women weekly.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/six-babi...ika-1466101655

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    C.D.C. Reports 234 Pregnant Women in U.S. With Zika

By SABRINA TAVERNISE JUNE 16, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/he...-cdc.html?_r=0

Been using Amazon for 10 years now, UPS is usually at my house twice a week but it never dawned on me see if the ship to Aruba. They do. Thank you.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast