Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

We are traveling to Aruba in less than 2 weeks. I am also a regular platelet donor. I know that upon my return to the states, I have to wait a month before I am eligible to donate again.
    Next Aruba trip in

Aruba since 1979
    (off topic) thank you for your platelet donations.
    you and other donors like you extended my friend sherry's life by 3 months.
    june thru october 2015 she received over 80 units of platelets from people as generous as you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrid23456 View Post
    We are traveling to Aruba in less than 2 weeks. I am also a regular platelet donor. I know that upon my return to the states, I have to wait a month before I am eligible to donate again.

Thank you for your life saving donations!

Even though Aruba is within the zika virus's belt, you would think one has a much less chance of being bitten by a mosquito here compared to other SA / LA areas due to consistent trade winds blowing vectors out sea.

First trip to SuperFood, OFF!® (25% DEET) is on the grocery list. There's even 100% DEET products available online (Repel) for trips to the Amazon or other parts of the world that have nasty, bug-borne parasites and viruses. I think Aruba is low risk, but it's good to be on the safe side since there's a risk for other Caribbean mosquito viruses too, like chikungunya.

In multiple trips to Aruba, I have not seen a single mosquito.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrid23456 View Post
    In multiple trips to Aruba, I have not seen a single mosquito.
    There are 2 times we have seen mosquitos on Aruba. When the trade winds stop, you will get them. That has happened to us only a couple of times. My BIL and I were so excited one morning because we were going to play golf at Tierra Del Sol and the winds had stopped completely. We thought this would be a great time to play this course without 20 to 30 mph winds. NOT. There were not only mosquitos everywhere, there were billions of gnats in swarms all over the course. We drove into them all over the course on the golf carts and they stuck to you all over because without the wind, you were very hot and very sweaty. Better have your mouth and eyes shut when you hit them or you would gag. It was miserable. The other place you always find mosquitos is on the nature trail on Renaissance island. As soon as you get into the mangroves they are all over you. Must have deet on to do that trail.

I was a platelet nurse in Canada for 11 years. It was a wonderful job. Thanks so much to jbrid23456 for his gifts. I have also been on the receiving end of transfusions so am so grateful to all of the wonderful blood donors. My husband gets eaten alive in Aruba and I am not touched-go figure.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516