Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that the virus cannot be transmitted from human to human ? I also wonder if animals, such as dogs can be infected. Have been reading up on it but have not seen any reference to these questions. Anyone?
    Here is a LOT of info including a map.

Excerpt:

Zika virus is transmitted by daytime-active mosquitoes and has been isolated from a number of species in the genus Aedes, such as A. aegypti, and arboreal mosquitoes such as A. africanus, A. apicoargenteus, A. furcifer, A. hensilli, A. luteocephalus and A. vitattus. Studies show that the extrinsic incubation period in mosquitoes is about 10 days.[18] Zika virus can migrate between humans through sexual contact and it can also cross the placenta, affecting an unborn fetus. A mother already infected with Zika virus near the time of delivery can pass on the virus to her newborn around the time of birth, but this is rare.[citation needed]

The vertebrate hosts of the virus are primarily monkeys and humans. Before the current pandemic, which began in 2007, Zika virus "rarely caused recognized 'spillover' infections in humans, even in highly enzootic areas".[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zika_virus

CK1
    Another informative article including a map:

Zika-linked condition: WHO declares global emergency

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35459797

CK1
    Amigoe article, google translation:

International emergency due zika virus
    Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 14:10

ORANGESTAD - The World Health Organization (WHO) yesterday called on the international emergency the spread of the virus zika. International action is urgently needed, according to the WHO. What the consequences are for Aruba, is unknown. To date, there are no cases of local microcephaly, and the paralysis disease Guillain-Barré known which can be coupled to the Zika virus.

By our reporter

Bobby Spier

During a new emergency meeting in Geneva, the WHO declared the international emergency. This is due to the rapid spread of the Zika virus, the possible link between the virus and neurological disorders such as microcephaly (being born with a small head and small brains), and Guillain-Barré syndrome and the fact that there is still no vaccinations and immunity against the virus. According to WHO, an internationally coordinated response needed to minimize the threat of the virus in other countries and to reduce further international spread. This regards the situation regarding possible neurological abnormalities, combating mosquito populations and accelerating the development of diagnostic tests and vaccines to protect people, pregnant women in particular, according to the health organization. To date, there are no further restrictions imposed for travelers and commerce.

Consequences

What does this state of emergency and its implications for Aruba, is in Amigoe unknown. Directorate of Public Health (Despa = Directie Volksgezondheid) this morning was unavailable to give a response. However Despa gave last Friday at a press conference regarding the zika virus to their commitment to keep the mosquito population as low as possible. Yellow Fever and Mosquito Control (GKMB) plays an important role in this mission. Clayton Croes, acting head of the GKMB (Gele Koorts en Muskieten Bestrijding), indicates that the population must also be alert and to it must show that breeding places in and removed around the house.

Until last week had forty zika suspected cases reported to Despa. Suspected cases are tested by the Dutch RIVM because Aruba does not have the right equipment. The results of these tests are not yet known.

http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/221922-i...ens-zika-virus

Is that saying there were 40 possible cases in Aruba that are being tested elsewhere? I am having trouble understanding, lol.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Is that saying there were 40 possible cases in Aruba that are being tested elsewhere? I am having trouble understanding, lol.
    Yes. It's been tested in the Netherlands.

Thank you everyone for your informative information.

Oh God ! No more sex in Aruba?

Our 6yr old son travels with us, there will be none, lol.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Our 6yr old son travels with us, there will be none, lol.
    Hahaha! Then you are on the safe side!

The first case has been reported in Texas via sexual contact with a person who traveled to Venezuela.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...irus/79708774/

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast