Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is an article in Dutch and the google translation:

The first four cases of zika were announced in Aruba

February 11, 2016

Minister Alex during the press conference with Schwengle of Health this morning in which the first four cases of zika were announced - picture: AriŽn Rasmijn

ORANJESTAD - Aruban health has now registered four cases of Zika. According to epidemiologist Maribelle Tromp involves imported cases, so patients who were infected with the disease abroad.

Local infection cases do not yet exists, says Tromp. That's according to her mainly because the number of breeding grounds of the aedes aegypti mosquito on the island is currently very low. Reason is the drought.

AriŽn Rasmijn talking to Maribelle Tromp

Yet a major cleanup throughout the island for the next few weeks is scheduled. Directorate of Public Health, the Department of Public Works and garbage collection Serlimar will than in non-urban, illegal landfills and citizens at home remove potential breeding grounds.

Also will soon launch a new awareness campaign in which full information on the aedes aegypti mosquito and the disease dengue, chikungunya and zika is given.

By AriŽn Rasmijn

http://caribischnetwerk.ntr.nl/2016/...llen-van-zika/

That is excellent news. I thought it was saying nobody contracted it on the island and your translation would back that up. That is great news. All that said, it is only a matter of time.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is another article in Dutch from Amigoe:

Google Translation:

4 zika cases in Aruba confirmed

Thursday, February 11 2016 15:16

ORANJESTAD / THE HAGUE - Aruba has officially four people infected with the virus zika. This is evident from the results of the blood tests Directorate of Public Health received yesterday from the Netherlands. In total there are currently 66 suspected zika cases where the virus has not been confirmed. However, they are treated as zika patient.

That announced Maribelle Tromp, Head of the Department of Epidemiology Public Health Directorate (Despa) this morning during a press conference. Yesterday, Aruba received the results from the Netherlands. The cases confirmed in Aruba are people who have traveled recently to Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia. Again, a number of blood tests have been sent to the Netherlands of suspicious zika cases. Despa does not know how much blood test is this. The focus now is on prevention, give Health Minister Alex Schwengle and Tromp together. "There are few mosquitoes in Aruba. Zika transmission is not possible without mosquitoes. So prevention is very important, "says Tromp.

Second room

Also in The Hague on zikavirus widely spoken and the possible consequences. Experts in the field of infectious diseases today during a briefing to parliament discussed the possibilities of the connection between the zika virus and other diseases. They argue that there is little to say with certainty is about the virus. Pieter Hofmann writes for the Caribbean Network. During the briefing a number of deaths was discussed zika which may have played a role. In Suriname, last week four men are deceased to the effects of zika. Marion Koopmans, head of virology at Erasmus Medical Centre said: "Is it death with zika, or death caused by zika? That is a very important difference that with the data we have now can not do. "She adds that patients with Guillain-Barrť syndrome (GBS), a neurological disorder may die if the respiratory muscles become paralyzed. The link between GBS and zika being investigated, but is not certain. Professor Jaap van Tiller, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Control of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) responds: "I have spoken with the doctors. There are too little details in the newspaper article to make clear that they are ill. They were all patients with underlying medical problems. Although you can not rule it out. "

Prepared

Members of the House wanted to know how it will respond in the Caribbean Netherlands and that the islands are prepared. According to Rob Sardeman, project health Caribbean Netherlands Caribbean Netherlands is prepared for zika virus. "On all the islands there is an existing program that does audits. Which see if there are breeding grounds for mosquitoes. This activity is now hyped "Agnes Wolbert (PvdA) that look into '. You hear nothing really about pregnant women, how the people are doing there with them" From Tiller: "There was a lot of turmoil by an information deficit, which is now over the top. This is there rather sobering. ' "

Tour operators

Also Dutch travel organizations active left react in the Caribbean. Petra Cook, spokesman for TUI: "Zika is also not very harmful, except possibly for pregnant women." That group may rebook free of charge, several dozen have done in recent times. "But zika been playing longer and certainly the people are well informed. The number of rebooking is been declining. "

http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/222446-4...ruba-bevestigd

Thank you for keeping us updated on this very important matter.

This morning we received a visit from Govt Health who are going house to house inspecting for anything on the property with standing water. This afternoon they are spraying and fogging the whole area including Govt lands behind us. They are proactive

Aruba since 1979
    We got a reverse 911 call this morning. Spraying our neighborhood tomorrow evening.
    John I am glad the aruba government is being proactive!!!

Oh no...I'm preggers and we decided to go in March as long as Aruba wasn't on the list!!!

Tiffany, I would consult your doctor and see what they say to do. Enjoy your pregnancy.

Aruba since 1979
    Welcome to the aruba.com community forum Tiffany.
    The cases that are in Aruba are cases of zika where people got it in Venezuela and chile.
    Check with your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyTousant View Post
    Oh no...I'm preggers and we decided to go in March as long as Aruba wasn't on the list!!!
    Reality is that so far Aruba has been lucky but one never knows when Zika will show up. Being so close to Venezuela and Curacao makes the likelihood of Aruba getting the mosquito more than likely. You could be in Aruba and then find out that the Zika Virus is there. Its a personal decision but one that could have serious consequences. I personally, as I stated before, not take the chance. Aruba will always be there to visit.

However, I will also like to ask you to check into this as well
    attention Pregnant travellers
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast