Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Zika Virus

I saw a news story last night (link below) about how scientists are now creating genetically modified mosquitoes to hopefully eradicate the Zika virus. The mosquitoes are being tested in Brazil, for one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-gene...he-zika-virus/

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I saw a news story last night (link below) about how scientists are now creating genetically modified mosquitoes to hopefully eradicate the Zika virus. The mosquitoes are being tested in Brazil, for one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-gene...he-zika-virus/

That's really incredible!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Knox County man returning from Aruba tests positive for Zika virus

http://mountvernonnews.com/story/2016/03/12/knox-county-man-returning-from-aruba-tests-positive-for-zika-virus/

I'm coming to Aruba for my Honeymoon in September but my wife-to-be will not be pregnant. However we will look to conceive early next year.

Slightly concerned about coming here but we are waiting for more information to be researched about the virus in the coming months.

Anyone know what part of Aruba the cases were found in?

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

the cases so far on aruba are travel related.

Quote Originally Posted by agager84@gmail.com View Post
    I'm coming to Aruba for my Honeymoon in September but my wife-to-be will not be pregnant. However we will look to conceive early next year.

Slightly concerned about coming here but we are waiting for more information to be researched about the virus in the coming months.

CK1

That's a great approach to continue to stay on top of that subject which further information will be released in the coming months. There is a lot of great info in this thread as well.

Here is an excerpt of an article:

The new report describes the case of a 68-year-old British man who traveled to the Pacific islands in 2014, when an outbreak of Zika virus was occuring there. When he returned home, he developed a fever, fatigue and a rash. The man tested negative for dengue fever and chikungunya virus, but positive for Zika virus.

After the man recovered, the researchers conducted follow-up tests for the virus, to see if it had lingered in his blood, urine or semen. The virus had disappeared from his blood and urine, but it could still be found in the semen 62 days after the man's illness started.

http://www.livescience.com/53704-zik...nsmission.html

CK1
    CDC issues Zika travel notice for Aruba

Posted by Robert Herriman on March 11, 2016

Because local transmission of Zika virus has been reported on the Caribbean island of Aruba, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a travel notice today for travelers to the island.

Local mosquito transmission means that mosquitoes in the area are infected with Zika virus and are spreading it to people.

According to the Aruba Department of Public Health (computer translated), there has been four Zika virus cases reported as of Feb. 19, three residents of Aruba and one Dutch traveler.

Because Zika virus is primarily spread by mosquitoes, CDC recommends that travelers to Aruba protect themselves from mosquito bites.

In addition, sexual transmission of Zika virus from a male partner is also possible, so travelers are also encouraged to use condoms or not have sex.
    There is no vaccine or medicine for Zika. Travelers can protect themselves by preventing mosquito bites: Covering exposed skin, using EPA-registered insect repellents, stay in places with air conditioning and window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside and sleep under a mosquito bed net if air conditioned or screened rooms are not available or if sleeping outdoors.

Men who have traveled to an area with Zika should use condoms to protect their sex partners. If the man’s partner is pregnant, the couple should either use condoms the right way every time or not have sex during the pregnancy.

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/cdc-iss...r-aruba-41051/

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    That's a great approach to continue to stay on top of that subject which further information will be released in the coming months. There is a lot of great info in this thread as well.

Here is an excerpt of an article:

The new report describes the case of a 68-year-old British man who traveled to the Pacific islands in 2014, when an outbreak of Zika virus was occuring there. When he returned home, he developed a fever, fatigue and a rash. The man tested negative for dengue fever and chikungunya virus, but positive for Zika virus.

After the man recovered, the researchers conducted follow-up tests for the virus, to see if it had lingered in his blood, urine or semen. The virus had disappeared from his blood and urine, but it could still be found in the semen 62 days after the man's illness started.

http://www.livescience.com/53704-zik...nsmission.html
    We thought we would wait until the last minute before paying the rest off of the holiday (June) before we make a decision. Silly to cancel now with not enough information. It's odd though how this has been around for a good few years but only now it's serious, maybe the press got a hold of it and it's gone viral.

The bit about the virus staying in the semen is the only thing that worries me obviously as I would be the carrier and potential risk to my future baby. If it is confirmed that it stays around for 6 months then that would be a serious worry as that'd encroach on our future

I went on holiday to Cape Verde when there was an Ebola outbreak in Western Africa and that had me worried as you could obviously die from that disease, but all that hype went away a few months. I don't usually get bitten from mozzies but my fiancée does which is the concern of her passing it to me.

I'll stay glued to this forum and the CDC and other health sites for daily updates. I emailed the hotel we are supposed to be staying at and they got back to me saying they are spraying with insecticides etc - but at the end of the day no one can stop flying insects so I wouldn't hold the hotel responsible for not doing enough.

Thank you for the response on here too

Kind regards,

Alex

CK1
    We thought we would wait until the last minute before paying the rest off of the holiday (June) before we make a decision. Silly to cancel now with not enough information. It's odd though how this has been around for a good few years but only now it's serious, maybe the press got a hold of it and it's gone viral.

The bit about the virus staying in the semen is the only thing that worries me obviously as I would be the carrier and potential risk to my future baby. If it is confirmed that it stays around for 6 months then that would be a serious worry as that'd encroach on our future

I went on holiday to Cape Verde when there was an Ebola outbreak in Western Africa and that had me worried as you could obviously die from that disease, but all that hype went away a few months. I don't usually get bitten from mozzies but my fiancée does which is the concern of her passing it to me.

I'll stay glued to this forum and the CDC and other health sites for daily updates. I emailed the hotel we are supposed to be staying at and they got back to me saying they are spraying with insecticides etc - but at the end of the day no one can stop flying insects so I wouldn't hold the hotel responsible for not doing enough.

Thank you for the response on here too

Kind regards,

Alex

You are most welcome, Alex.

It's a very personal decision and not an easy one, as you plan on being parents in the near future.

Hard to tell why it came to an outbreak with the Zika virus. I had followed the Ebola outbreak as well, it was very frightening as Ebola is fatal in most cases. Thousands of people had died, many special trained people around the world came to get it under control.

I would have been worried, too, to travel to Cape Verde at that time. Glad, all went well with you.

Kind regards,

CK

CK1
    Article in today's Amigoe (google translation):

Pregnant women of Marines: stay in the Netherlands

Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 14:30

ORANJESTAD - Pregnant women of Marines get urgent advice from the infirmary of the Marines barracks in Savaneta to leave for the Netherlands or stay in the Netherlands. This because of the advancing zika virus and the real risk of miscarriage, premature birth or neurological disorders. Directorate of Public Health (Despa) is unaware of this decision.

By our reporter

Bobby Spier

Initially, the infirmary advised that pregnant women from local defense personnel the first trimester of their pregnancy had to serve in the Netherlands because of the zika virus. After 22 weeks, the wife then allowed to return to Aruba. This opinion has been intensified after the publication of recent small-scale study involving 88 pregnant women with zika were followed and that two women have had a miscarriage at thirty weeks. Because according to the infirmary is a realistic chance of premature birth with low birth weight, miscarriage or neurological disorders such as microcephaly (being born with a small head and small brains) nursing staff would rather not take that pregnant marines women risks. Women of Marines are also advised to postpone pregnancy until more is known about the virus and its effects on unborn children. However, all this remains a recommendation, and the final decision is made by the couple or the pregnant woman herself.

Zika protocol

Despa is not aware of this for said advice. Reported Nahaina de Cuba, Acting Head of Epidemiology Despa, request to Amigoe. "We have heard nothing about this." For that reason they would prefer not give a substantive response yet. However, they report that the special protocol for obstetricians and gynecologists who work with pregnant women who (may) have been infected with the virus zika is now off and can be applied in practice. The protocol includes a research roadmap that the growth and health of the baby and should monitor the condition microcephaly must detect early. "Next week the protocol is officially presented, but it's actually been used." To date, there is no local pregnant woman who is infected with the virus zika or suspected of being infected, according to De Cuba.

Swipe action

To date, Aruba has seventeen official zika infections. Yellow Fever and Mosquito Control (GKMB) now sits in collaboration with waste disposal Serlimar and Public Works Department (PWD), in the fourth week of the island-wide swipe action for the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which spreads diseases such as dengue, chikungunya and zika to eradicate as effectively as possible. Houses with a history of mosquitoes are checked for breeding and sprayed and houses suspected now of breeding are addressed. Meanwhile, ten thousand potential and two hundred official breeding sites have been addressed. Clayton Croes, a policy of GKMB, argues that these figures are "very high", "all because of the current circumstances in which we already know a time of drought and very little rain." Besides zika was diagnosed with sixteen people, dengue in the first three months of 2016 and down by two persons chikungunya. In about four weeks the swipe action is to be completed.

Travel advice

Mid-February Aruba was incuded in the list of zika countries by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This organization informs travelers and clinicians about current health issues at different destinations. Meanwhile, the warning level for travel to Aruba has increased to level 2. This means that travelers should be extra vigilant and take extra measures to protect themselves against zika.

http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/224450-z...f-in-nederland

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast