Aruba Beach

Thread: 1st Time Aruba w/6yo w/food allergies

Lightbulb 1st Time Aruba w/6yo w/food allergies

My wife and I have done Saint Martin for many years prior to the birth of our now 6 year old daughter. Since then, it's been Florida trips. We'd like to return to the Caribbean, but my wife is concerned about Saint Martin because of the recent reports of an increase in crime, and because she fears that food options for my daughter might be limited there. She envisions Aruba as more "Americanized" and thus will have familiar food options.

Our daughter is severely allergic to all dairy products, as well as eggs. Therefore, we seldom eat at restaurants unless we are totally sure that their kitchen understands food allergies and cross contamination issues. If we do, we usually bring food for my daughter. We always stay in places that have a kitchen.

Can anyone enlighten us regarding reasonably priced places to stay that have kitchens, yet are on or near the beach and other activities?

The other caveat is that we'd be travelling from Boston or Providence Presidents Day week, as she is now in public school.

Thanks.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    AH...another boston person....same here...anyway, we LOVE the Rennaissance Suites, a Marriott property, that has a private island perfect for kids, and is in the downtown area close to the stores. I think this would be a great choice for you. THe rooms are decent size, have kitchens, and has 2 pools that are RIGHT there. There is also a lagoon. The most fun for the kids is the boat ride to the island. It is a 10 minute ride to the private island, no fighting for chairs, safe area for kids, with tennis courts, workout room, restuaurant, flamingos, caged birds, nature path....check it our, also, see my pics in the gallery for some island shots....anymore ?'s just ask...

Allergies do make traveling outside of North America both challenging and scary. Many of the places to stay are timeshares which mean they have kitchen facilities. Going to the grocery store allows you to buy many products that you need. For example, Kong Hing has many of the products from the US so you should be able to find a lot of the items that you need.

As far as where to stay, I can't comment on Renaissance as I have never stayed there but I have stayed in the low rise section and the high rise section and both are crawling with families with young children. My impression ( my apologizes to fellow poster, Cindyo, if I am wrong on this) is that the downtown location would have more of an appeal to couples or families with older children who would enjoy more of the downtown scene. The other areas seem to be more for families. I am sure that downtown has families too but that is my general impression.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Ok Randi...the Ren private island is crawling with little kids too! LOL...They love the lagoon, and the boat ride( sometimes they are allowed to drive), and all the caged animals on the island. Also, you can walk around the marina, the huts, movie theatre, shops.... Our group ranges in age from 15 mts to 75...all are happy there....Come meet us sometime there....cindy

Thanks Cindyo, I did say I could be wrong LOL... looks like you were visiting my fair province of Ontario!!! Maid of the Mist...NIAGARA FALLS

Would love to come to the "island" but it is kind of expensive if you aren't staying there ($75 p.p).
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Randi, Jes, ya, you are from Canada...those are my two teens, a.k.a. "Maid of the Mist Chicks", we did both sides for the boat rides, we now have 8 of those blue baggie ponchos....We had such a nice time in your province....loved the vineyards, falls, Rogers center, Niagra on the lake...my daughters want to move there....also fell in love with the ice wines...

Randi, if you are there during April I will get you on the private island...

Thanks for the offer, I wish I would be in Aruba in April. Will be there Dec and Feb.

Come visit the capital of Canada...Ottawa that is where I am from.