Aruba Beach

Thread: 8/25-8/29 Kid Friendly Budget Vacation

8/25-8/29 Kid Friendly Budget Vacation

Hi all, this will be our first time traveling to Aruba and any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. We found airfare round trip non stop on Jet blue from JFK for $434; we are staying at the Divi Phoenix Beach Resort and it will be myself (33) husband (41) son (3) in a studio suite for $155/night and mother in law (63) sister in law (40) niece (10) and nephew (8) in a one bedroom suite. I have several questions...

1. What do you think about the prices and airfare, is there a way to get a cheaper rate at the Divi?
    2. Does anyone have experience with the "run of the house" special at the Divi phoenix for $155/night?
    3. What attractions should we book for fun with the kids?
    4. Where is the nearest grocery store, what are the prices like, how is the selection and is there anything that we should just bring from home (in terms of food)?
    5. Should we rent a minivan and from whom? What is a decent rate? I have been seeing prices around $400 for the week.
    6. Where should we go for dinner, reasonably priced and kid friendly?
    7. Is there anything that we must pack for our vacation with kids, other then the usual clothes, sunblock, sunglasses, camera....?
    8. Where is the best spa for couples treatments and the most reasonably priced?
    9. Is the Divi Phoenix located on the beach and what is the quality of the beach in the proximity of the resort?
    10. How is the Divi Phoenix resort accomodations, any positives and negatives would be greatly appreciated; as well as if anyone knows of another comparable resort, located on the beach, in the same price range, with a kitchenette, that is kid friendly?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome, we are traveling with kids on a budget; but looking forward for our upcoming vacation in Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

in the SEARCH menu on left, click and enter Kid friendly restaurants

same search menu enter donkey sanctuary and butterfly farm

re: airfare. at this late date, i do not think you will do much better

am i reading your dates right? 4 nights?

i cannot comment on the pricing on divi phoenix. i do not know.

maybe you should look into MCM TOURS to see if they can package something and it might come out to better pricing....maybe at the westin or radisson?

auto rentals, again use the search and enter minivan rental

the nearest grocery store to phoenix is kong fui (sp?) and you will find the pricing maybe 20% higher than usa.

the divi phoenix is on the beach.

pack extra sunblock and more bathing suits

please read lots especially in family vacation section and restaurant section and getting around aruba section

and/or ask your questions in those categories
    you will receive tons of answers!

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by funnigirl11 View Post
    Hi all, this will be our first time traveling to Aruba and any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. We found airfare round trip non stop on Jet blue from JFK for $434; we are staying at the Divi Phoenix Beach Resort and it will be myself (33) husband (41) son (3) in a studio suite for $155/night and mother in law (63) sister in law (40) niece (10) and nephew (8) in a one bedroom suite. I have several questions...

1. What do you think about the prices and airfare, is there a way to get a cheaper rate at the Divi?
    2. Does anyone have experience with the "run of the house" special at the Divi phoenix for $155/night?
    4. Where is the nearest grocery store, what are the prices like, how is the selection and is there anything that we should just bring from home (in terms of food)?
    5. Should we rent a minivan and from whom? What is a decent rate? I have been seeing prices around $400 for the week.
    7. Is there anything that we must pack for our vacation with kids, other then the usual clothes, sunblock, sunglasses, camera....?
    9. Is the Divi Phoenix located on the beach and what is the quality of the beach in the proximity of the resort?
    10. How is the Divi Phoenix resort accomodations, any positives and negatives would be greatly appreciated; as well as if anyone knows of another comparable resort, located on the beach, in the same price range, with a kitchenette, that is kid friendly?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome, we are traveling with kids on a budget; but looking forward for our upcoming vacation in Aruba!

Arrow Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

maybe you should look into MCM TOURS to see if they can package something and it might come out to better pricing....maybe at the westin or radisson?

pack extra sunblock and more bathing suits
    Yes, DO contact MCM Tours. http://www.aruba4u.com We just returned from the Tamarijn All Inclusive which we booked through MCM. Kids 11 years of age and under stay and EAT for free. http://www.tamarijnaruba.com/

I realize you are on a budget and it may sound counterintuitive to stay at an all inclusive resort, but with the number of kids in your party,
    unless you have your heart set on staying along Palm Beach, it maybe less expensive to just stay at the Tamarijn All Inclusive instead. It is a Divi property.

"The Family Package allows as many as 2 children up to age 11 at time of travel to stay, play and eat FREE All Inclusive through December 21, 2012 when sharing a room with two paying adults. Package features include:

• Oceanfront accommodations with spacious patio or balcony
    • Families can also choose the Tamarijn Aruba’s Family Room option to add on a second separate room for a maximum of 4 children up to age 11 at special rates
    • Children’s camp (Monday thru Friday for children ages 5 – 12) with plenty of entertaining activities as Papiamento lessons, t-shirt and face painting, pool and beach games, scavenger hunt, snorkel and tennis clinics, basketball, movies, soccer tournament, bingo, arts and crafts, snacks and more"

It is important to note that, unlike most other Aruba resort kids clubs nowadays the Tamarijn's kids club is FREE.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/chil...ctivities.html

Shop around, but keep in mind that cheapest is not necessarily the best vehicle. We have found that even the well known US car rental agencies are franchises and can leave a bit to be desired. Do your homework.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/rest...expensive.html
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/restaurants%20kids.html

Like Andrea said, EXTRA sunscreen, hats are a plus as well. Make sure they are snug on the head or they will blow away.
    Nafanny receives rave reviews
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/nafanny.html
    To be perfectly honest, we have stayed there and found the beach to be just okay. The ocean water is set between two jetties and is fairly shallow as compared to the rest of Palm Beach and there was a fair amount of sea grass. Perhaps it has since been removed?

Overall it was unappealing to us. There are timeshare owners who will beg to differ, but this is jmho, we do not have an investment in the property.

10. How is the Divi Phoenix resort accommodations, any positives and negatives would be greatly appreciated; as well as if anyone knows of another comparable resort, located on the beach, in the same price range, with a kitchenette, that is kid friendly?
    The two swimming pools are very nice. The new pool is beautiful. There are also some shallow areas of the Phoenix's pool which would be ideal for children.

Some Phoenix photos attached, click on the thumbnail to enlarge

Tamarijn Reviews

Last edited by Arubalisa; 07-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.

thank you for the replies!