Aruba Beach

Thread: Airplane activities

Airplane activities

Hello,

I am longing for a return trip to Aruba. However, this time around I would be travelling with a two year old. I have been to the island four times "pre-family". I was the grumpy guy complaining about the screaming child kicking the back of my seat for five hours. Well, now I'm that parent! The thought of trying to keep our busy two year old occupied for five hours makes me cringe. How do you do it without divorcing your spouse or jumping out of the plane at 5,000 feet?

I know we would all have a great time once we were settled at the hotel but the trip might kill us (or me anyway) Much appreciated.

KD

Arrow A trip to the dollar store may be all you need...

"Mom I'm Bored- Things for the Plane"
    Besides a DVD player, laptop or iTouch or any other technology capable of showing videos...
    A backpack stuffed with age appropriate goodies...
    Crayons & coloring book, new books, snacks and...
    SURPRISE toys! Enough toys that after playing with one for awhile you can pull another one out of your "bag of tricks" A couple of ideas for toys which are small-- wind up toys and matchboxes or similar dye cast vehicles.

Besides the snack, I would bring your own meal. We find that even with our 13 yo, feeding her face gives her something to do and helps to pass the time.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 10-11-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by KevDad View Post
    Hello,

I am longing for a return trip to Aruba. However, this time around I would be travelling with a two year old. I have been to the island four times "pre-family". I was the grumpy guy complaining about the screaming child kicking the back of my seat for five hours. Well, now I'm that parent! The thought of trying to keep our busy two year old occupied for five hours makes me cringe. How do you do it without divorcing your spouse or jumping out of the plane at 5,000 feet?

I know we would all have a great time once we were settled at the hotel but the trip might kill us (or me anyway) Much appreciated.

KD
    Couple of things we used to do for the plane rides....
    *Wrap all kinds of little things and when they got bored out came another one...match box cars, tiny dolls, candy, viewmaster with discs...,
    *Plenty of snack type things...all their fav's
    * DVD player with headphones
    * books to read from
    * benadryl...yes, for the ears, and added bonus, kids get a little sleepy from it
    * Sticker books, not a lot of $$, and just toss when done
    * small ( pony type)bead kit- kids loved to string them on gymp...ah, who cares if ya spill a few
    *coloring books
    * lollipops--in the mouth, then its shut ( LOL)

Anyway, have a blast. Buy your beach toys when there, less to carry over on the plane. ENJOY...

Baby Beach -just to be lazy and float on my raft and snorkle too
    A laptop or DVD player with some movies and bring a head set. Snacks. Treats. I wrapped up a lot of little gifts for being good and gave them out every hour or so. New crayons with a favorite character coloring book. A new DVD. A new book. A favorite treat. A little small toy or stuffed animal. Remember to have some for the return trip home. The last one was a new swim suit , sunglasses, and hat. Remember to bring a small pool float, ball, pail and shovel too.

Our kids traveled well with these little gifts at age 9 month, 3 years, 5 years, 9 years, and now even as teenagers.

Bring a collapsable stroller with a sunshade. Great for getting around the airports, walkways, sleeping in the shade. Swim diapers or ecology friendly bathing trunks. Floppy hat to cover ears and back of neck. Sunblock for kids, that is water proof.

We made sure that our kids got a nap. We feed them dinner at our timeshare prior to us going out to eat. They brought books, crayons, video games to keep them busy. They got to order dessert while we ate our dinner. It worked until they got older and wanted to eat the good food. Now the food bill has more than doubled with 2 teenagers.

Enjoy and have fun. Take time to enjoy and bond as a family. Great memories because they do not stay little for long. My oldest is graduating from high school this year and it seems like we just took her for her first trip to Aruba at 9 months of age. Time flies, enjoy it and do not rush it.

Jill
    Good luck and enjoy.

It's good idea to keep your 2 year old busy with coloring book or snacks. Gifts can also keep him/her busy. I booked my airline tickets from Globester when I visited with my family.

Thanks,
    John

My 19 month old loves a ton of the suggestions above. We wrap a ton of tiny little toys (we go on a "dollar store" excursion a few weeks before the trip...they are cheap and not well made...but you aren't buying a great new toy...you are buying a few minutes' entertainment!!) She LOVES stickers. They requrie a little concentration, which usually means she's quiet for a few seconds. Somtimes, though....a kid wants nothing other than to be out of the damn seat already!! (I know how they feel!) My philosophy has always been to allow this EARLY rather than let it get bad. I hold her, and walk her back to the galley..usually when I KNOW there is no open lavatory, so I can put her down and give her a few minutes of freedom to stretch her legs, see all the stuff, and maybe meet a friednly (we hope) flight attendant. She has been back and forth accross the US (falmily in CA, we are in CT) a half dozen times, and to Hawaii once. So far....I'm not divorced, and no one has been murdered or jumped from the plane (though it came close when she had the last remnants of an ear infection....poor kid.)

Also another idea is to keep the child up late and home the night before the trip. I always try to have my daughter as tired for the plane ride the next day as possible. Then she sleeps a good amount of the plane rides. I bring a travel DVD player, lots of snacks and also travel games. At 2 I'd suggest buying those markers that only show up on certain paper made for the markers.

We are GPs to a 2.5 yo and 8 month old; we brought the DVD player for the plane ride and beach time.
    Most important thing is:
    Plane ride toys; we prefer very soft toys; esp if they decide they want to throw a post pattern pass to someone 4 rows in front... tell me about it...

Be prepared to take them for strolls up and down the ailses when antsy time sets-in.
    Beach:
    A cotton sheet is good to have for them to nap on the beach under a palapa. EZ to shake, wash, & dry each night for next day use.

Foldable beverage bags (large w/compartments & /zip lock bags for snacks & for holding ice (re-freeze em overnight to save water)

Sunscreen is a MUST! Some great Tips by the nice members here.

We stay @ La Cabana; here is their Children's Activity Schedule - geared mostly for older than 18 months tho
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by miesk5; 12-22-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Thanks to All Who Serve!

We have traveled with daughter every year since she has been born. She just turned four a few weeks ago. We generally allow her to apck a back pack with items that she wants to bring on the plane. However, a portable dvd player and LOTS of snacks has done the trick thus far. I would definetley bring something that will cause him or her to swallow (i.e. gum or lollipops) in order to clear their ears during altitude changes.

I have been travelling with my kids since they were born. The first trip for them at 5 months and 2 years, they both slept on the plane. When fly Jetblue, so they have the TV's.

Now, I put all TV shows on my net book for the kids to watch. I have all the seasons of iCarly, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place. And my wife just got an iPad, so we will have that on the next trip. Along with the kids Ipods they are usually set. But they are 5 and 7 now, so they travel pretty well for me.

I am one of those people who hate when the kids are out of control. I'm not talking about a little baby, but small children drive me nuts! And yes my kids drive me nuts too.

If my kids were bad, i would be more embarrassed. I don't get the parents who just allow their kids to be out of hand!
    Decided to take down my timer!