Aruba Beach

Thread: Booking flight for unborn child?

Junior Member SittinUnderAPalmTree's Avatar

Booking flight for unborn child?

My husband and I plan to travel to Aruba next summer with our baby who will be 7 months at the time. I am due in January, but don't really want to wait until then to book our flights since, as we all know, flights can book up and prices usually increase. Does anyone know if it is possible to book a flight for an unborn baby? (I want to book the baby his/her own seat so we can use a car seat. Plus, most rows on flights sit 3 across and I'd rather not inconvenience the 3rd passenger since we'll be getting up/moving around a lot.) We usually fly Continental since they offer nonstop from the New York/New Jersey area, but I cannot find any information on their website.

Thank you!

Aruba since 1979
    your question is a first!!

call continental and ask if they will ticket the child as __________ last name.
    but, then when it is time for you to add the 1st name, they may wallop you with a change fee.

do you know the child's sex and have a name already?

could you come to my house and help me organize. you seem to be everything i am not!! (that is a compliment)

but my real suggestion is to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    your question is a first!!

call continental and ask if they will ticket the child as __________ last name.
    but, then when it is time for you to add the 1st name, they may wallop you with a change fee.

do you know the child's sex and have a name already?

could you come to my house and help me organize. you seem to be everything i am not!! (that is a compliment)

but my real suggestion is to wait.
    LOL, I am a bit of a planner (can you tell?? haha) and I'm dying to get back to Aruba. (having withdrawal, lol... haven't been there since 2008) My fear in waiting is the price skyrocketing and 3 seats not being available together. In my experience, flights are usually least expensive right when it is first able to book (at 331 days before the flight), so that would be in September. I'm scared to wait until January when the baby is born. We will know the sex before September and in turn, will have the name (amazingly, my husband and I agreed right away on a boy and girl name!!).

As much as I don't want to, I will probably wait to book the baby's ticket and just *hope* that the seat next to us is available. Worse comes to worse, my husband will not sit with us or someone will be kind enough to switch with him.

AND IF they say there would not be a change for booking the ticket, now as "infant yourlastname" tell them to direct you to where online it says that you will NOT be charged a change fee.

Aruba since 1979
    if you do not book the baby's seat in september, make certain that when you book your seats........you and your husband choose and aisle and a window. that will almost guarantee that come january or february that MIDDLE seat will still be available.....then you can choose that seat for the bambino!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SittinUnderAPalmTree View Post
    LOL, I am a bit of a planner (can you tell?? haha) and I'm dying to get back to Aruba. (having withdrawal, lol... haven't been there since 2008) My fear in waiting is the price skyrocketing and 3 seats not being available together. In my experience, flights are usually least expensive right when it is first able to book (at 331 days before the flight), so that would be in September. I'm scared to wait until January when the baby is born. We will know the sex before September and in turn, will have the name (amazingly, my husband and I agreed right away on a boy and girl name!!).

As much as I don't want to, I will probably wait to book the baby's ticket and just *hope* that the seat next to us is available. Worse comes to worse, my husband will not sit with us or someone will be kind enough to switch with him.

if you do not book the baby's seat in september, make certain that when you book your seats........you and your husband choose and aisle and a window. that will almost guarantee that come january or february that MIDDLE seat will still be available.....then you can choose that seat for the bambino!!!
    Great advice! Thank you!!

Your baby needs a passport. My niece who visited me from holland had to get one for her baby boy. Was the cutest passport picture I have ever seen

"Yes. Every U.S. citizen — including infants — needs a valid passport to enter and leave most foreign countries. The U.S. Department of State issues passports."
    Last edited by lizzardo; 07-22-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org