Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Compilation of places to go, things to do, places to see?

Smile Compilation of places to go, things to do, places to see?

So I have been reading the boards for a few days to try to plan our trip to Aruba.

These are some of the places that I have seen mentioned. I was also wondering a few things about them. Any and all info is appreciated.

California Lighthouse-Is there an admission to get in here and can you climb to the top for some wonderful views?

Aruba Butterfly Farm-How long will it take to see all of this and is there an educational presentation or something you just walk around in? Price?

Trykes tour-which there are 3 of us and I know this must be a wonderful tour since a lot of people talk about it here and on the cruise forums, but do they have a tryke for 3 people? It does seem a little expensive, so not sure about this.

DePalm Tours has been mentioned. Either going to the island or other tours offered. Can anyone offer their experience/things that are worth doing? Does it cost for each thing you do there?

Of course the mall at Palm Beach with the water fountain light show (sorry the name has skipped my brain at this time). Do they only have the light shows on certain days?

The Cinemas for movies

Adventure Sports for parasailing. Anyone done this? Know the price? The website didn't have much info. This has been on our bucket list for awhile.

Natural pool-can you get to this without having to do a tour? Like is it obtainable by just driving there?

Aruba Ostrich Farm-Anyone know price and how long you usually spend there?

Philips Animal Garden-Price and approximate time there? Is it like a petting zoo?

Alto Vista Chapel-is this just a historical site? A place to take pictures?

Casibari Rock Formations-can you drive to this yourself?

Donkey Sanctuary-price and approximate time there?

Or course there are all the beautiful beaches. We have been to Arashi and would like to hit up Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove, Palm Beach, Eagle beach, Baby Beach. What are some o ther beaches that everyone enjoys? We are up to just about any whether there's vendors or completely primitive. I found a site that mentioned "Tres Trapi", which states it is located by Catalina Cove, but I can't seem to locate it on the map.

Are all the beaches easy to get to and have parking spaces for a car? We plan on renting a car and just driving around daily to check everything out.

Let me know if there's any other points of interest to see and do here in Aruba that I should plan for. Really not too interested in the Caves, boat tours or the Jolly Pirate. We prefer any snorkeling/swimming from shore if possible. We are very active and also beach people and could stay on the beach from sunrise to sunset on days. Our family consist of me, the hubby and our 9 year old daughter. She has been snorkeling since she was 3 years old and is a certified PADI seal with several actual dives conducted from the beach so far (down to 30'). You have to drag her out of the water. She loves it so much. She has been doing extreme "things" since she was 3, which includes ziplining in the jungle by herself, jumping off 2 story buildings into the ocean and so on. Nothing scares her and it's almost like having another adult with us. So, even though you may not feel that something you might mention would be a good fit for a "child", please mention it because more than likely...it will fit.

Thanks in advance.

Aruba since 1979
    wow that is a lot of stuff that you hope to do.
    how long will you be in aruba?

i will type my comments in red for the things that i can answer

California Lighthouse-Is there an admission to get in here and can you climb to the top for some wonderful views? yes but i do not know the $ amount. it is a tour. check in at the restaurant there.

Aruba Butterfly Farm-How long will it take to see all of this and is there an educational presentation or something you just walk around in? Pr no tour, just walk thru. i do not know the price.

Trykes tour-which there are 3 of us and I know this must be a wonderful tour since a lot of people talk about it here and on the cruise forums, but do they have a tryke for 3 people? It does seem a little expensive, so not sure about this. you will have to contact them about 3 people. if the child is small...maybe?

DePalm Tours has been mentioned. Either going to the island or other tours offered. Can anyone offer their experience/things that are worth doing? Does it cost for each thing you do there? been there , loved it. some things like snuba are extra.

Of course the mall at Palm Beach with the water fountain light show (sorry the name has skipped my brain at this time). Do they only have the light shows on certain days? check their website

The Cinemas for moviescheck their website

Adventure Sports for parasailing. Anyone done this? Know the price? The website didn't have much info. This has been on our bucket list for awhile. contact them thru their website

Natural pool-can you get to this without having to do a tour? Like is it obtainable by just driving there yse using and ATV or UTV. tour recommended and safer

Aruba Ostrich Farm-Anyone know price and how long you usually spend there? check their website and 1 hour tops

Philips Animal Garden-Price and approximate time there? Is it like a petting zoo? check their website and 2 hours tops

Alto Vista Chapel-is this just a historical site? A place to take pictures? yes and yes

Casibari Rock Formations-can you drive to this yourself?yes

Donkey Sanctuary-price and approximate time there? ​donation i think and 1 hour tops

Or course there are all the beautiful beaches. We have been to Arashi and would like to hit up Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove, Palm Beach, Eagle beach, Baby Beach. What are some o ther beaches that everyone enjoys? We are up to just about any whether there's vendors or completely primitive. I found a site that mentioned "Tres Trapi", which states it is located by Catalina Cove, but I can't seem to locate it on the map.

Are all the beaches easy to get to and have parking spaces for a car? We plan on renting a car and just driving around daily to check everything out.

Let me know if there's any other points of interest to see and do here in Aruba that I should plan for. Really not too interested in the Caves, boat tours or the Jolly Pirate. We prefer any snorkeling/swimming from shore if possible. We are very active and also beach people and could stay on the beach from sunrise to sunset on days. Our family consist of me, the hubby and our 9 year old daughter. She has been snorkeling since she was 3 years old and is a certified PADI seal with several actual dives conducted from the beach so far (down to 30'). You have to drag her out of the water. She loves it so much. She has been doing extreme "things" since she was 3, which includes ziplining in the jungle by herself, jumping off 2 story buildings into the ocean and so on. Nothing scares her and it's almost like having another adult with us. So, even though you may not feel that something you might mention would be a good fit for a "child", please mention it because more than likely...it will fit.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Hi, welcome to the forum! When we went to the Butterfly Farm, there was a guided tour where a young lady provided a very informative lecture on the different species, origins, eating habits, etc. I found it to be quite educational, but be advised it is pretty hot there. I would recommend going when they first open. Admission was a couple of bucks and was good for the entire day should you want to return. We were there for about thirty minutes.

You mention not liking to snorkel from boats, but I would urge you to look into the Black Pearl. It's not a crazy, noisy, party atmosphere, but very instead relaxing. I think you might enjoy it http://www.aruba-sailing.com/

Aruba since 1979
    my last time at the butterfly farm was probably 15 years ago and it was a self guided/ just walk thru.

sorry for the misinformation.

yes indeed walt...go early in the day!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum! When we went to the Butterfly Farm, there was a guided tour where a young lady provided a very informative lecture on the different species, origins, eating habits, etc. I found it to be quite educational, but be advised it is pretty hot there. I would recommend going when they first open. Admission was a couple of bucks and was good for the entire day should you want to return. We were there for about thirty minutes.

You mention not liking to snorkel from boats, but I would urge you to look into the Black Pearl. It's not a crazy, noisy, party atmosphere, but very instead relaxing. I think you might enjoy it http://www.aruba-sailing.com/
    Thanks for the information and I'll take a look at Black Pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    my last time at the butterfly farm was probably 15 years ago and it was a self guided/ just walk thru.

sorry for the misinformation.

yes indeed walt...go early in the day!!
    Thanks for all the information you posted above.

I'm not saying we are going to all of them...just saying after days of reading, these are the things that people have mentioned and I wondered if there was anything I was missing that is a "must see/do" item. I plan on doing some research and finding out what best fits us.

I think we might be going for 10 days. I know the island is small, so I don't think taking a few days and just starting on one side and driving down and around, hitting up things to do along the way, would take that long would it? Especially if some of these places are only 30 minutes to 2 hours or so to do. For instance go to the butterfly farm in the morning and continue to the cost to the lighthouse, come back down to see Alto Vista and stop and Philips Animals farm. Then finish the day off at a beach in that area or something. Maybe another day at DePalms Island. Another day donkey sanctuary then head over to baby beach. Another day natural pool and a beach. Another day Casibari rock formation and ostrich farm then a beach.

I'm just not sure how easy it is to get to each of these places, which is why I was wondering if you can drive to all of them instead of taking a tour. I know I've read that you shouldn't take a car in certain places and that's why they have jeep tours or 4 wheeler tours. Is it possible to rent a jeep on the island as your vehicle? (Instead of just renting a car)

Very open to suggestions for beaches to go to. That is our "main" reason to going just about anywhere.

Aruba since 1979
    you can do ALL Of the places that you mentioned on your list except the natural pool in a car.
    yes, jeep or suv rental for a day, week or any amount is readily available by many of the car rental places.

i encourage you to look in the activities/sports category/forum and read about many or the activities.

i did not notice where you were staying, many of the resorts are on or across the street from either Eagle, Palm, or Druif beaches.
    Other beaches you may be interested in could be Arashi, Surfside, Baby.

also too, read others' My Aruba Story to get some other ideas.

QUOTE=AudiaS4;318834]Thanks for the information and I'll take a look at Black Pearl.

Thanks for all the information you posted above.

I'm not saying we are going to all of them...just saying after days of reading, these are the things that people have mentioned and I wondered if there was anything I was missing that is a "must see/do" item. I plan on doing some research and finding out what best fits us.

I think we might be going for 10 days. I know the island is small, so I don't think taking a few days and just starting on one side and driving down and around, hitting up things to do along the way, would take that long would it? Especially if some of these places are only 30 minutes to 2 hours or so to do. For instance go to the butterfly farm in the morning and continue to the cost to the lighthouse, come back down to see Alto Vista and stop and Philips Animals farm. Then finish the day off at a beach in that area or something. Maybe another day at DePalms Island. Another day donkey sanctuary then head over to baby beach. Another day natural pool and a beach. Another day Casibari rock formation and ostrich farm then a beach.

I'm just not sure how easy it is to get to each of these places, which is why I was wondering if you can drive to all of them instead of taking a tour. I know I've read that you shouldn't take a car in certain places and that's why they have jeep tours or 4 wheeler tours. Is it possible to rent a jeep on the island as your vehicle? (Instead of just renting a car)

Very open to suggestions for beaches to go to. That is our "main" reason to going just about anywhere. [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-30-2017 at 05:49 PM.