Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DONKEY sanctuary

Melissa (ctfirewife), our son Dylan and I just visited there today and I have to tell you what a great expierence! We made the mistake at first of walking in the gate with 4 2lb bags of carrots and a six pack of red delicious apples, opening the bags to feed a few and then being swarmed by about 20 donkeys...none the less Melissa had the baby close and we led them out of the way...our carrots and apples were gone so fast it was unbelievable and sad since we wanted to keep feeding them LOL...anyways once they scattered again we entered and visited the little shop and got some education on the donkeys from a wonderful woman there who also took a liking to Dylan I would have to say I would visit here everyday if I could while on vacation since it is such a nice expierence and definately would say to those that are questioning in going to GO. It is so much fun and rewarding. I just said to melissa, geez, maybe I'll sponsor Sassy...16.76 a month is not much to know your doing some good in a country you love to visit and after visiting to know that your money is going to a great cause for some great animals I never thought about in the past other than referring them to Juan Valdez coffee ...I'll let everyone know if we go through with it Will post pics when we get back home!!!

So glad you had a great experience. Tip to all who enter-- from my trip report
    A lesson we learned was that upon entry, you will be swarmed by the donkeys if they know you have the food. Hold the food above your head and walk through and up to the building where the store and refreshments are. It has a nice patio which is fenced in. There you can slice up the apples [the volunteers provided a knife & cutting board], behind the protection of a railing and feed the donkeys one by one.

Aruba since 1979
    hahahaha my dear husband was swarmed and i LAUGHED AND LAUGHED.
    he is very frightened by livestock.

that being said after he finished stroking out........and we got to the porch we fed our apples and carrots and lifesavers.

i cannot wait to see the photos of dylan and the donkeys!!
    the lady in charge is desiree and she is a saint!!

Donkeys

This looks like a lot of fun, we will go there in April!
    I don't think it's on the itinerary for our kini kini jeep adventure tour, so how would we get there? Taxi?
    thanks,
    Todd

btw - we are staying at Raddison.

Aruba since 1979
    i suppose a taxi could take you.
    it may be a better excursion if you rented a car for the day.
    the road is somewhat rough the lst mile in, but a sedan can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by toddbigeasy View Post
    This looks like a lot of fun, we will go there in April!
    I don't think it's on the itinerary for our kini kini jeep adventure tour, so how would we get there? Taxi?
    thanks,
    Todd

btw - we are staying at Raddison.

Boca Prins, Mangel Halto & just about any spot with my little family.
    We did it in a minivan! It was a bit touch and go for a few minutes driving in but worth it. I think renting a car would be the best option because then you wouldn't have to worry about the taxi waiting and all. We went to Boca Prins after for lunch and made a day of it. With a car, you'd have that freedom. Just my thoughts
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Again, the sanctuary is looking for people, family or groups to sponsor their donkeys.

Cost is $16.76 USD per month for the donkey’s keep. With this amount you help support the sanctuary as well as your own donkey.You receive a certificate and a T-shirt and your name and photo will be posted on their website. Adoption info
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-15-2013 at 11:57 PM.

We loved the donkey sanctuary. Or I should say my 9 year old daughter loved it. There was a darling young girl working there who cut up apples and we bought several little buckets of them for $! each. The donkeys were so sweet and gentle, eating very softly from her hands. They looked her right in the eye and some of them flashed huge toothy grins. The man who runs it (or the owner) gave a very informative talk to all of us. It seems like a really great place. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload some fun pics.

Aruba since 1979
    uploading to gallery

left menu under the the words COMMUNITY FORUM click GALLErRY

then across the top of the new page click UPLOAD

in the space provided give a title of your photos (Donkey Sanctuary)

and follow instructions on that page to add in photos from your computer "my photos"
    Quote Originally Posted by Island-girl View Post
    We loved the donkey sanctuary. Or I should say my 9 year old daughter loved it. There was a darling young girl working there who cut up apples and we bought several little buckets of them for $! each. The donkeys were so sweet and gentle, eating very softly from her hands. They looked her right in the eye and some of them flashed huge toothy grins. The man who runs it (or the owner) gave a very informative talk to all of us. It seems like a really great place. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload some fun pics.

Andrea,
    I didn't know about the donkey sanctuary. I'll have to take my kids there next time we are back. Thanks for the info.
    Nancy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast