Aruba Beach

Thread: Help the kids and sea turtles- easy community service! Part 2

Help the kids and sea turtles- easy community service! Part 2

Here are 2 more groups that you could (visit) and help with donations of money, items needed or time. I have posted this in Aruba General as well. Again, I could not include the direct email addresses for the contacts below. Feel free to contact me.

FUNDACION PAPIEMENTE

This is from an email that I received last year...

"We're a very small foundation (4 members) that's not funded by our Government (yet), operating on volunteer basis only,with local sponsoring. And we would really appreciate all the help we can get. Because the children in Aruba speak Papiamento (native language), we try to publish three new children's books in their native language each year, so they can read and relate to the characters, identify themselves with the stories. In Aruba we have a Dutch school system, so the children have to learn in a foreign language, which is okay, but over the years there's a gap,because of the lack of literature in their own language. Aruban kids read books about winters and forests, while living on a tropical island - the difficulty to imagine situations in several stories makes it hard for anyone to relate to the content and enjoy a book.The pleasure of reading starts early on, with books about your own world and in your own language, at home, and together with mom and dad. Our foundation is building a new generation of book lovers, we're trying to bring families closer together so they can discover this experience. During our workshops we would love to have puppets to work with, anything related to storytelling would be more than welcome. Books are wonderful, in any language, but for our purpose it won't fit, except if the books are without text and with universal themes

Liliana & team..
    Fundacion Papiamente
    Seroe Pita 7-A
    Tel. 585-9575
    Cel. 5928743

AND

TURTUGARUBA - extremely nice husband and wife team; call the hotline and they will tell you where and when to go...magical to watch the sea turtles hatching!

"Thank you for your interest in the sea turtles.Sea turtles do nest on Aruba in very small numbers. There are no scheduled turtle walks. At the West coast , where the majority of the touristic coastal development has taken place Leatherback sea turtles still come and nest on the sandy beaches (Eagle Beach and Arashi; March-July). Nests are well-marked and protected during incubation (60-70 daysMid July the nesting will probably be finished. The hatching just started last week. To observe the hatching is a free public attraction. Volunteers of Turtugaruba are helping to inform the crowd. After dusk disorientation by artificial lights is a serious threats which we try to handle with protective measurements. If in doubt which nests are ready and hot to go you can call the turtle hotline tel nr. 5929393 is posted on every nest sign.

Richard van der Wal

To help the orphanage- kids ages birth to 8
    Casa Cuna,
    Corina Linssen ,Directeur
    casacuna@setarnet.aw

Tel: 00297-5857177
    Fax: 00297- 5853010

To help the orphanage- kids ages 8- teen

Imeldahoff

imeldahofaruba@setarnet.aw

To help the small, private foundation that promotes reading-
    Liliana & team..
    Fundacion Papiamente

www.fundacionpapiamente.com

To donate, volunteer or watch the sea turtles hatch-

Richard van der Wal

turtugaruba@hotmail.com

Smile My class fundraiser

Thanks for the info. I am a teacher of 3rd grade. My class always does a fundraiser and I think this foundation would be so worthwhile. I just love Aruba and the students could raise money for their books. Thanks again. xo
    Next Aruba Trip [Countdown8/4- 8/18 200PM:]!

As an added note...

Turtugaruba Foundation assisted in the rescue of a juvenile hawksbill turtle yesterday. It had a fish hook protruding from its throat which was successfully removed by Wayaca Veterinary Clinic.