Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AudiaS4

Thread: OSTRICH FARM: Review

Thumbs up OSTRICH FARM: Review

I wasn't quite sure how I would feel about going to see Ostriches ONLY because we had previously went to Philips Animal Garden and there were Ostriches there. So how can visiting a place with just ostriches be any better? Well I was wrong! This place was absolutely amazing and I had the best time here! I think out of all the animal places we went, this was probably my favorite.

The Ostrich Farm is open from 9-4pm and admission is $12 per adult and $6 for children.

We found this place (by mistake) when we were out looking at other things one day and back tracked our steps on how to get back there the following day. Well needless to say...we messed up...several times. We messed up so bad that we somehow did a complete circle and ended right back up where we began about 45 minutes later. Finally we stopped to ask which way to go (unsuccessful the first 2 times) and then we arrived. (Getting back is easy, just getting there was confusing).

This is a guided tour by a very knowledge and very FUNNY tour guide. He spoke to us prior to the tour and got to know us and told us a lot of information about the place (not the ostriches) and we loved every minute of it. Our tour consisted of us 3 and another couple, who didn't really seem to engage in conversation too much.

Our tour guide took us around the "farm" and told us a lot of interesting facts about both the ostriches and emu's. We seen the life stages of an ostrich from a male who had dug his nest and was awaiting a female, to eggs already laid and how the staff collects them, to the incubator, after hatching, then to the pens before going out with the rest of them. We were showed the difference in their feathers according to their age. It was just so interesting and although if someone told me these things were what I was going to hear and learn about, I would think oh boring but he kept our attention at all times...well, until my daughter spotted several peacocks and off she went (her favorite bird).

I have to say feeding the ostriches was such a great time and we laughed and laughed. There was a photographer there to take your picture and most times I do not purchase things like this because we take our own (and a lot of them), but they put it in the cutest frame and...truth be told, when we remodeled one of our rooms at home, my daughter decided she wanted a "bird" theme (trust me, it's not as tacky as it sounds) and I knew these pictures would perfectly fit in with that room.

It was a great tour and one of my favorites. I HIGHLY recommend it!

HERE ARE MY PICTURES

Aruba since 1979
    Also copied to the Your Aruba Photos category

So is this place a zoo, a rescue facility (like the Donkey Sanctuary) or a farm that raises them for food/feathers?
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Aruba since 1979
    Not a rescue. But yes to zoo-like and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Not a rescue. But yes to zoo-like and food.

Uggghh...thanks Andrea. Will be spending my time at the Donkey Sanctuary.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Aruba since 1979
    phillips animal garden is also a sanctuary of sorts.
    phillip has a number of animals there tht he has resuced from various bad situations or situations of homelesssness.

http://www.aruba.com/things-to-do/ostrich-adventures
    ostrich link above
    no where do they say or imply that they are a sanctuary or a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Rescuer View Post
    Uggghh...thanks Andrea. Will be spending my time at the Donkey Sanctuary.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.