Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning complicated trip from toronto and vancouver need advice

It is for personal reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by damnyankeeuk View Post
    I don't understand why your husband cannot fly through tthe US. I thought that as a transiting passenger he would not have to clear US Customs, but instead wait in a departure lounge. I would check with the airlines to see if that is the case before getting in a panic trying to avoid flying into the US.

From another fellow Canadian

We find that Canadian airlines are more pricey than the US carriers but since this is not an option you must deal with it. Air Canada does fly directly to Aruba and in September you should be able to get a decent price.

I would say that going the time share route may be your best option as you can accomodate your family plus your sister much easier and much more spacious. The grocery stores are amazing and that helps keep costs down and allow you to be able to enjoy dinners out, when you want to go. We have used redweek.com and they are great as it tug2.com We are Marriott owners and Surf Club and Ocean Club are always listed in redweek.com

Also, traveling with a child is also easier in a timeshare environment as it is not always so much fun to be eating in restaurants three times a day. Having a full kitchen for meals, snacks, etc is the best. Even when you babies become "big babies"

I would say that your sister is best to travel to Aruba via the US and meet you there as it will be far cheaper. We do not live in Toronto so we tend to overnight somewhere and then carry on to Aruba, it isn't terrible and will certainly make the travel time a little easier to do it in two days coming from Vancouver. If US Air or some other airline flies out of Vancouver she can fly direclty to Atlanta, Miami, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. that has direct flights to Aruba. Aruba is not a place that Canadian travel agents know alot about so I understand that you may not have had confidence in her answers. My travel agent (that we use for trips other than Aruba as we are timeshare owners and do not need services of a travel agent) actually called me to get information about ARuba to pass onto another client. Do your homework and don't get stressed out.

Good luck!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Casa del Mar or Marriott or both?

I have found good deals on renting at the Casa del Mar and Marriott. Obviously the CDM is slightly better in price for rental size. We can also get 2 weeks in the same room there or switch and save a couple hundred. However, the Marriott looks great too and I don't know if we should stay there? So far I haven't found back to back weeks there in the same room or by same owner. We are renting a car so could stay a week at CDM and week at Marriott or both weeks at one place? We are fairly young and like lots to do and see. Both seem kid friendly for my one year old. Should I experience both places as a newbie to Aruba or stay at one? Which one? Thanks for any advice.

Aruba since 1979
    both places are GOOD
    marriott properties are a bit more upscale and less laid back than CDM.

if it were me, and for convenience sake only, i would take the 2 back to back weeks at CDM in the SAME unit.

take some time, go up to visit the marriott surf and marriott ocean club properties and maybe on your NEXT trip to aruba, you can go there for your stay.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    We move after 1 week for our 2nd week and it isn't too bad - different scenery (inland to beachside). But like Andrea I think if you can get 2 weeks in one place go for that! Why waste a day moving if you don't have to?! (the checkout to checkin times are usually a few hours difference, not that you can't find something to do in that time but it is kind of a pain!)

All booked! Yay! I booked our flights today for Sept 18 to Oct 2 and spoke to the owner of the timeshare we are renting at CDM for those two weeks and gave her my VISA info. She is going to run it through her business account at work in the morning. I am so excited and can't wait to go. Anyways, the timeshare owner assures me that all I need from her in order to stay in her suite for those weeks is this: She will email the resort and tell them that I will be checking in on Sept 18 and staying for those two weeks. They will send her a confirmation email with my name on it. She will type up a word document verifying that I have permission to stay in her timeshare for those dates and I will print out both the email confirmation from Casa Del Mar with my name on it and the Word document from her and present that with photo ID at time of check in at the resort.
    Does this sound right to you guys? I don't need a rental agreement? I asked her as I found one to print out on this site and she says it's not necessary and that she has never used one before so I didn't push. I tried calling CDM but couldn't get through and have sent an email and haven't heard back. All I asked them was if she in fact owned the timeshare for those weeks and had permission to rent to me and what I needed in order to stay there. I am waiting to hear but she seems very nice and legitimate.
    Anything I need to know about renting the TS for 2 weeks? Advice? What's the resort like and the presidential suite particularly as that's what we are renting? They look great on the website.
    I need to start writing down things to remember for my one year old. One thing I am wondering is what to do with her potty? She uses it at home but I certainly don't want to lug it to Aruba. And yes, before you ask, my one year does use the potty - she wanted to and does great! Obviously she's not diaper free but does use it for most of her "eliminating". Thanks.

Aruba since 1979
    bring the potty or a small version thereof.

i rent timeshares often and have no formal rental agreement form.
    i put the name of the renter on the reservation, lacabana is notified of the name change.
    renter pays a portion as a non refundable deposit and then the balance a few months out.
    easy
    simple
    and since your trip is within a couple of months, i am sure that u had to pay 100% upon making the reservation and that is the norm.

BUY trip/travel insurance in the event that you have to cancel, have medical issues while on aruba, flight delays or cancellations, lost luggage etc.... a policy for the 3 of you (not including your sister) will run you less than $200.
    go to www.insuremytrip.com.

make certain a receipt with dates, amount of rent received, and a copy of the reservation with your name on it is in hand.

again, bring a smaller potty version........no sense having a setback.

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    All booked! Yay! I booked our flights today for Sept 18 to Oct 2 and spoke to the owner of the timeshare we are renting at CDM for those two weeks and gave her my VISA info. She is going to run it through her business account at work in the morning. I am so excited and can't wait to go. Anyways, the timeshare owner assures me that all I need from her in order to stay in her suite for those weeks is this: She will email the resort and tell them that I will be checking in on Sept 18 and staying for those two weeks. They will send her a confirmation email with my name on it. She will type up a word document verifying that I have permission to stay in her timeshare for those dates and I will print out both the email confirmation from Casa Del Mar with my name on it and the Word document from her and present that with photo ID at time of check in at the resort.
    Does this sound right to you guys? I don't need a rental agreement? I asked her as I found one to print out on this site and she says it's not necessary and that she has never used one before so I didn't push. I tried calling CDM but couldn't get through and have sent an email and haven't heard back. All I asked them was if she in fact owned the timeshare for those weeks and had permission to rent to me and what I needed in order to stay there. I am waiting to hear but she seems very nice and legitimate.
    Anything I need to know about renting the TS for 2 weeks? Advice? What's the resort like and the presidential suite particularly as that's what we are renting? They look great on the website.
    I need to start writing down things to remember for my one year old. One thing I am wondering is what to do with her potty? She uses it at home but I certainly don't want to lug it to Aruba. And yes, before you ask, my one year does use the potty - she wanted to and does great! Obviously she's not diaper free but does use it for most of her "eliminating". Thanks.

Daily surcharge at CDM

So we rented a TS at CDM and felt ok about the deal and excited about our trip. I had enquired what the daily surcharge would be and the owner told me $9.35 and when I questioned her as to if she was sure, she said yes. Well I had contacted the resort with my questions and finally heard back and the daily charge s $18.15! That's double what we expected. When we add the crib rental and Internet we are looking at $25 day more than the rent at least. Why is the surcharge so high and is this usual? Amar
    Last edited by amarg; 07-23-2010 at 12:07 AM.

http://www.casadelmar-aruba.com/rates.html
    Government taxes and Energy surcharges are not included and are payable upon checkout.
    Energy surcharge
    $8.80 daily for a two-bedroom Presidential Suite
    Government Timeshare Tax
    $9.35 daily for a two-bedroom Suite (Presidential)
    $18.15

The surcharge is correct. I really think you need to take up the difference between what the owner told you and what is actually charged by the resort with the owner him or herself. Even more so if you felt you were misled. Imo no one here can answer or speak for the owner.

Aruba since 1979
    this is the norm

crib rental and internet are options
    can u bring a portacrib?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast