Aruba Beach

Thread: Sandcastles

Jax

Sandcastles

My daughter cannot wait until she gets to Aruba to build a white sand castle. On my last trip, I did not build any (adult trip). Can anyone tell me if the sand sticks for building castles? I would rather disappoint her while we are still home rather than when we get there, if the sand isn't very conducive to building.

I'll check when I go to the beach today...just a word of warning, with all the bad weather they've had lately, there is a HUGE drop off when you first walk into the water. Maybe 3 feet. I see many people falling going into the water, and not being able to get out. I'm sure it's not like that everywhere, but it is by the Marriotts. I can't get out unless my husband gets out first then grabs my hand and pulls me out! But I'll check out the sand for you today.

Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Baby Beach
    Here is a secret to building and sandcastle the sticks together and lasts a few days. The sand does stick but you must get it wet....i call it medium wet add enough water for it to stick but yet for it to be able to come out of the pails. Best way to do is make a pile add water add sand add water, make holes with your finguers so the water can sink in and make it evenly wet. This is the haredest part of the entire process adding water and sand a few people helping is good. Once you have it to the size you want now its time to start sculpturing. Use different size tools from little shoveles, to spoons be creative, sometimes the sticks from the popsicles is good too. It is good to have a spray bottle with water so if the sand starts to get dry you can spray it and keep it moist. Once you get a section done move on to the next but before that get your second spray bottle this one should have a mixture of clear jelletin and water, spray down the finished part well. Now move on to next section and repeat. the Jello will keep you castle up for 2- 3 days depending on the traffic and the people....one thing make sure you build it back enough from the tide line! Hope this helps....i have some photos up form some of my creations in the photos section.

Aruba since 1979
    WOW you know the sandcastle procedure!!!!

i looked for some of your photos in the gallery and did not see any....could you try posting them again?

Jax
    Tavilas, you definitely know your sandcastles! Thank you for your advice. I am very excited to try this out when we go! THANKS!

Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Baby Beach
    good luck i need to get some photos up of my creations.....some good some so so ....but always enjoyable as long as i am on Eagle Beach in Aruba.....;_

We tend to do animal sculptures with my daughter (2.5y/o). A little easier for her (no super fine motor skills required for a liot of it) and little accidents aren't as hard to fix. Last year we did a big alligator down by the tide line, and people were apparetnly talking about it all the way up and down the beach, came to take pictures with it, etc. This was week 50 or 51 at the Casa Del Mar. We'll probably do something similar this year.

At the Marriott when the water is very rough the entry into the ocean is very difficult and dangerous. Once the wind dies down it will take a few days for the entry to go back to normal. I might suggest bringing a life jacket for a young child.

Sandcastles: lots of kids like to build them and the technique of water is necessary! One word about the sandcastle making. At the end of the day, it is a good idea to fill up the hole. A few years back I witnessed a person walking along the beach and fell in the hole. While it wasn't that deep, it was big enough to injury a person walking along the beach the next morning. I know this may be heart breaking for a little one but it can be dangerous for a unsuspecting person.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents