pier
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a minor who is not our child

Traveling with a minor who is not our child

We will be bringing our 16 year old niece along with us to Aruba this Spring Break along with our own 3 children. Do we need any documentation other than her passport to bring her into the country? Any info appreciated!!
    katherine

Trip #14 in

2 years ago our daughter (then 16) went to Bermuda with a friends family. We had to give the parents a letter that both my husband and I signed allowing them to take her out of the country and it had to be notarized. Not sure if it's the same in Aruba, but it wouldn't hurt. And make sure you take a copy of her family insurance card in case she needs medical care

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    I always make the parents write a letter before I take kids on vacation. I even do it for my nieces that have a different last name. You never know if one of the airline employees might want proof that you are allowed to take someone else's child to another country. Immigration could also be an issue. I have never had it happen, but it could really put a damper on your vacation if it did. Included in the letter, I have them give me permission to make medical decisions on behalf of the child in case of emergency.

We always have our kids bring friends with us on vacation so that they have somebody to hang out with. So every year I gather all of the passports, photocopies of the passports, all of the confirmations for car rental, outings, etc, the letters from the parents and any other important trip-related documents and put them into a folder. I impress upon the whole family and the friends of the importance of the folder and how our vacation could be ruined! if the folder gets lost. Guess who left the folder on the floor at Hadicurari??? Our room at the Surf Club wasn't ready last year on arrival so we went next door for lunch. After all of my lecturing about the importance of the folder, I left it sitting on the floor! Thank goodness they picked it up and put it safely away. It was actually a few hours before I even realized it was gone. I took quite a bit of ribbing for that one!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Notarized note, written by parents, and signed by you. Also include any health care info notarized...not kidding here..
    Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress .
    Don't strive to make your presence noticed just make your absence felt.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Yes, as others have said, you need notarized approval from both parents to take a minor child out of the country. We've taken our minor niece and a friend of my son's to Aruba, and was not asked to show the document. However, a few years ago, my husband (and our son's father) was taking our son to Canada, and I just happened to go into the airport with them, thankfully. The woman at the counter needed my approval for his dad to take him. She said had I not been there, and since my husband didn't have a letter stating my approval for him to take him to Canada, they wouldn't have let them leave. It's to cut down on child custody abductions. We also had the parents send medical/dental authorization letters in case the child got sick or injured.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/auth-foreigntravel.html AUTHORIZATION FOR FOREIGN TRAVEL WITH MINOR

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/auth-minormed.html AUTHORIZATION FOR MINOR'S MEDICAL TREATMENT<<-- pretty sure this is a "must have"

Aruba since 1979
    AND..............have the minor child have in his or her possession a valid master card or visa card in his/her name (of course the parent's account)

if medical care is necessary there will be NO issues of being "paid back" if the minor child's parent's account is paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    AND..............have the minor child have in his or her possession a valid master card or visa card in his/her name (of course the parent's account)

if medical care is necessary there will be NO issues of being "paid back" if the minor child's parent's account is paying.
    Great idea. Our dd has a pre-paid credit card which she will be bringing on a couple of upcoming class trips. God forbid she needed additional funds put on to the card, with a few key strokes on the computer, we can add funds instantly to the card.

I know this thread was started to discuss taking someone else's child, but Corona's point is very important for all to see and think about because it is not as obvious.

If one parent is taking their own child out of the country, have a notarized note from the other.....even if you're happily married and not divorced. With child abductions being a valid concern, thiis may be needed.

Our niece and nephew sometimes fly separately to Aruba, and they always prepare a note for the one with their kids.

If the child is not yours....be sure to have a note giving you permission to make decisions regarding medical care....not just a health card.
    ........with CindyO and daughters
    Annual Aruba visits since 1997....September 2014 and New Year 2015 are next

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    >>>> "her family insurance card in case she needs medical care"
    ------ Don't think Aruba will take any of the U.S. Medical Plans for payment if medical care is needed. The Aruban Hospital will take a charge card. Get good documentation as some medical plans will pay you what they normally pay. Mine even paid me for treatment on a cruise ship.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast