Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: All inclusive vs pay as you go??

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    I could eat and drink breakfast/lunch for cheaper then 110. per couple per day.
    If you are not big drinkers, ABSOLUTELY positively, you could do it for less.

You can still be "big drinkers" and not do AI. We do it every year and bring large collapsible cooler, fill it with Amstel Bright and Heiney Light from cases bought at Lings. Playa Linda to see Sassy daily from 12-5 for "Happy Hour" 2-for-1 (much cheaper than our Surf Club drinks). We eat breakfast and make sandwiches for lunch, then eat out at a different restaurant every night for dinner. Works great for us and I think much cheaper, more versatile/flexible and I am pretty sure better food (my .02cents).
    Next Aruba trip in

We have the all - inclusive optional at the the Occidental and If it weren't for forums like this and others we would not have known that the breakfast/lunch and all drinks throughout the day for 55/pp plan existed. When you book it they say that is not an option. You have to book that plan when you get to the hotel.

I know $110 per couple/day sounds like a lot until you realize what it would cost for those 6-8 drinks per/person all day long. I think the drinks are watered down (thank goodness) otherwise people would be blizto'd. LOL.

This is the perfect plan for us. Uh oh.... Andrea is going to tell me how many bogo's you can get for $110! I had to throw that one in there.

Andrea you were originally from Waltham... We are from Taxachusettes too!

Aruba since 1979
    Yes from waltham lived there 53 yrs

Ok i am trying to do the bogo math but my brain is mush.

$110 per day per couple drinks and bfast and lunch.
    Sounds reasonable.
    Probably perfect for lots of couples.

I am not a big fan of all-inclusives because of the broader consequences on the local economy. Aruba is a very safe island unlike other islands where you are relegated to staying in your "compound". The locals are welcoming and we are delighted by the variety of great food options on the island. IMO, all-inclusives are a bit like WalMart - they come in, rake in the dollars and the profits go some faceless corporation in a far-away-land. We own a home on the island and do whatever we can to support the local economy any way we can. This is one of the incredibly special features of our island paradise . . . I am saddened every time I hear of all-inclusive options since it only encourages visitors to become isolated, become "tranced" by their resort property, and not really enjoy the splendour of everything Aruba has to offer . . . Michael

Aruba since 1979
    i understand your words michael and agree to a certain extent.
    i love to see the local economy getting a boost.

i feel that lots of folks want the all inclusive option because it leaves out any question of finances. the hotel, the food, the beverages and some sports are all included. you know exactly how much you are going to spend...no surprises.

many folks who travel to other caribbean resorts HAVE to participate in all inclusive for their own safety.

lots of folks in all inclusive places in aruba, actually do go off site for a dinner or 2 and many take part in snorkeling tours, island tours and other tourist activities.

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post
    I am not a big fan of all-inclusives because of the broader consequences on the local economy. Aruba is a very safe island unlike other islands where you are relegated to staying in your "compound". The locals are welcoming and we are delighted by the variety of great food options on the island. IMO, all-inclusives are a bit like WalMart - they come in, rake in the dollars and the profits go some faceless corporation in a far-away-land. We own a home on the island and do whatever we can to support the local economy any way we can. This is one of the incredibly special features of our island paradise . . . I am saddened every time I hear of all-inclusive options since it only encourages visitors to become isolated, become "tranced" by their resort property, and not really enjoy the splendour of everything Aruba has to offer . . . Michael

I am really not a big fan of all-inclusive plans. That's why the partial all-inclusive is the best of both worlds. You are correct, Aruba is very safe island and the locals are wonderful. There are so many great resturaunts on the island that it's a shame to be tied down to the hotel you are staying at. I agree with Andrea the all-inclusive for many people is about knowing up front that everything is paid for. Even when we have done the full all-inclusive we have always gone out to our favorite resturaunts regardless.

The thing that is unfortunate is when the time share owners have all-inclusive mandatory in their contract. Perhaps that's what needs to be stopped. Somehow prevent these timeshares from making it mandatory

Good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post

i don't want to hijack this thread, but my question fits here:

Can you go a certain amount of days, all-inclusive? Say your staying 7 nights at Renaissance Marina, can you pay for 4 nights of AI, then rest are EP?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisinStl View Post
    Can you go a certain amount of days, all-inclusive? Say your staying 7 nights at Renaissance Marina, can you pay for 4 nights of AI, then rest are EP?
    Maybe contact the Renaissance directly? You are booking a hotel room and not a timeshare privately?

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Maybe contact the Renaissance directly? You are booking a hotel room and not a timeshare privately?
    We will be booking from a travel site, and was curious if you could choose days. Would be great to do AI for a couple days, then hit the island restaurants rest of vacation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast