Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aquaman

Thread: Beware of This Hot Vacation Rental Scam

Beware of This Hot Vacation Rental Scam

Beware of This Hot Vacation Rental Scam
    Documented scam involving VRBO for which they are not taking responsibility or are able to explain.

Not sure where this belongs if the mods feel this is appropriate for another category.

Aruba since 1979
    ya let's leave it here and i will copy it to the timeshare and apartment and villa sections too.

Clark Howard is a HERO.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thank you, Lisa, for posting this. I rent from VRBO but both places, the owners were from NJ (where I live) and I mailed a check to their home address. Also, I made sure I spoke to them on the phone. I found another place on VRBO and the person is from NH. I emailed them, they'll be in Aruba the same time we are. They gave me the address & their phone number and said to stop by and they'll show us the house. So we are going to since its right down the street from where we stay now. I always am afraid of that. This time we'll actually get to meet the owners and I know what they look like from photos on their listing, lol. thanks again, as always diligent and on top of everything.

The vacation scammers are out there. I was aware of a Venezuelan based " Travel Agency" that promoted properties on Aruba "arranged" a reservation and took the renters money under the guise that they did everything. They issued a receipt etc. The poor renter arrives in Aruba to find no such booking!!! I have had to remove us from booking.com as we had all sorts of issues arising from Venezuela. We will no longer rent to a Venezuelan!!! Some of the properties hit in the scam were some well known timshares and private residences.

My concern with the post is that it smears all private owners. I believe if a potential renter is smart there are many ways to determine if a rental property is real or a scam. For instance, checking with past guests, trying to contact owner directly and so on. Where possible, I always phone and speak to a rental enquiry and make sure they have tel number for me and our property/rental manager.

The posts cast serious doubts on all who rent out their property and I don't think that is fair. renters need to know that there are options open to them to check out a property, its owners and past guests experiences.

In this day and age of technology, the scammers out there can make it hard to determine the reality. A renter needs to do due diligence as opposed to not considering a rental home because of info like this scaring them off.

John

Totally agree John, a renter does need to do their due diligence. I don't think this post smears any private owners, it is just a reminder to renters to do just what you said
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    agree jacki!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Totally agree John, a renter does need to do their due diligence. I don't think this post smears any private owners, it is just a reminder to renters to do just what you said

Clark Howard was not "smearing" owners, he was making people aware of the fact that people need to be "careful the next time you go to book a vacation rental property from the owner." He never suggested NOT renting a private home.

He detailed step by step how VRBO usually works. From the tone of the piece, not only is he alerting people to the scam, but he's also annoyed with VRBO for not stepping up and taking some responsibility and instead turning a blind eye. For years he has been one of the biggest cheerleaders.

"I want to be perfectly clear about one thing: Because of how VRBO is set up, I never had direct access to the owner's email address. All correspondence between the owner and myself passed through VRBO's system. When I later called VRBO to ask for an explanation, they were incredulous. They insisted at some point that I emailed the owner directly and that’s how this whole situation happened. But I did not, which makes this even scarier."

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We have used VRBO in the past with no problems. You will find scammers everywhere. We have rented from owners at Costa Linda, Aruba Beach Club, Playa Linda and Renaissance Suites. CL, ABC and PL have their own BB rental site. Ren can be rented thru Red Week. All of these sites warn of scam activity in the past so be careful. I always call the resort to verify the name of the owner of the unit week I am renting. The resorts are happy to do this.