Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Clark Howard's take on Timeshare.

Aruba since 1979

Wink Clark Howard's take on Timeshare.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...oo-much/nD2RJ/
    Clark Howard talks about timeshare purchases.

I am thinking that Clark has never been to Aruba

I'll second that.
    Thank you for your time,

Scott Kompa
    skompa@comcast.net

If you know of anyone that needs to buy or sell a home anywhere in the world let me know as I can help! Scott Kompa, Sales Associate, RE/MAX Connection

As someone who listens to him almost daily I can say that he extremely dislikes timeshares as an investment.

HOWEVER, if pushed he will grudgingly admit that as long as you purchase through re-sale, not through the developer and it is at a place that you LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and will return to year after year for many years, it is not a bad idea.

Good tip to know Andrea J. If you use his per night model -Aruba turns out to be a fair value. $90.00 a night for Aruba during prime time for a hotel would be hard to get. Also I notice timeshare people in Aruba tend to have the best location and the best view. Try to find that kinda of deal on priceline- even would be tough. This is our 2nd year going to ABC and last year the people we met were very proud and happy about their timeshare.
    Sean and Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    As someone who listens to him almost daily I can say that he extremely dislikes timeshares as an investment.

HOWEVER, if pushed he will grudgingly admit that as long as you purchase through re-sale, not through the developer and it is at a place that you LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and will return to year after year for many years, it is not a bad idea.
    I agree with the above. And one should always remember that timeshares are NOT an investment and should never be looked at as one.

They're not for everyone - we looked into it a few times and definitely not our cup of tea for our money since we still need to be flexible with dates, like to travel to different places, and just don't want our money tied into something like this.

But again, as Lisa stated, if you buy through resale and KNOW that you will return year after year for many years for the same week(s) and don't mind paying higher airfare since your dates aren't flexible, then it might be a good deal for you.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

own many weeks at the occidental, my weeks are very flexible. from week 2 thru week 50, me my 2 week stay this trip. mait fee 630.00.
    no fixed week on my contract's.

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    I agree with the above. And one should always remember that timeshares are NOT an investment and should never be looked at as one.

They're not for everyone - we looked into it a few times and definitely not our cup of tea for our money since we still need to be flexible with dates, like to travel to different places, and just don't want our money tied into something like this.

But again, as Lisa stated, if you buy through resale and KNOW that you will return year after year for many years for the same week(s) and don't mind paying higher airfare since your dates aren't flexible, then it might be a good deal for you.
    I agree with Amy. We like to be flexible with our travel plans. We love Aruba and have visited the island many times at different times of the year. We are lucky enough to be able to travel any day of the week. Saturdays and Sundays can be very difficult to travel. Many Timeshares have Saturday to Saturday weeks available and that would not be to our liking.

Think about buying on Aruba, now that is an investment, and you can visit anytime of the year and rent out when your not useing it.

dont agree at all.....have 3....bought one from divi out right, cost too much and will never do that again....bought 2 resales....great deals....
    have to pay maintain fees, but for what it costs me I could never get the kind of accomodations I get....and where...
    have traded and have not been disappointed....and have been able to choose different weeks than I own and at the places of my choice....
    so I am either very lucky...which I doubt or just doing the trading the right way....
    I do however agree it is not for everyone.....and I would never say to anyone it is the only way to go.....but I will say that if you are going to buy...do a resale, I can suggest a few, just pm me and I will send details
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I have bought all mine on re-sales. Now all mine are through RCI Points, I know you have to pay for RCI to be a Points member, but worth it for us as we always go mid-week now. Current trips are Oct. 24 (Monday) - Nov. 9 (Wed.) through RCI Points. Next trip is Wed. 12/21 to Saturday January 7. We are coming home on a Saturday because the flight was cheaper. Love the flexability of any check-in day, and I can get a studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or whatever I want. Got rid of my Divi that had a weekend check-in and got back what I paid for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast