Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Construction at The Divi Phoenix

Post Update at the phoenix!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikke View Post
    BGlynn - looking forward to getting those pics. I'll be at the Phoenix Jan 17-24 and am curious if there is lots of construction noise. Last year there was some but not overwhelming.
    Hi, Sorry for the delay in posting! I returned from the Phoenix on Saturday. Another amazing trip! The construction is still moving steadily. It seams they are really picking it up as you can really see work being accomplished. I will post the pictures on this site after the post. One of the pools is open and there are people staying in the first building. The other three are almost done but the fourth one needs the most work. Work sounds can be heard but are not disruptive. The workers work all throughout the day. I walked by at 7:00 PM and could hear them sawing! I had my yearly visit to the members office and they informed my that they hope to have the entire project completed by June 1st. She said that building one is open; they hope to have building two open by the end of February; Building three open by the end of March; and building four open by the end of April. She said the restaurant and swim up bar pool should be open in February. They are going to be starting construction on an additional lobby which they also hope to have completed by June. They are in the process of making new huts on the beach and putting in trees in front of the new buildings. Also they plan on moving the towel hut for added room and to improve the view of the new buildings. They have big plans but for all those who stay in the tower they need improvements! She said that the tower improvements will start again in April. The tower renovations would be the completion of the bathrooms; new matresses; new sliding glass doors; and general maintance. The elevators are crazy in the tower also and do need replacement eventually. everything is looking good though! CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!

Hi, BGlynn0211!

I would say "welcome back," but perhaps I should say "sorry you had to come back." Hope you're getting over your Aruba withdrawal all right. Thanks for the update!
    When you say "one of the pools" is open, do you mean a new pool, or the one they've always had? If it's the new pool area, how is it?? And I'm SO glad to learn that they're adding huts to the beach. Good deal!
    Going March 28...can't wait!! :-)

Hi, Ya really hate being back. I came into snow on Saturday night when I returned. I had a fantastic week though. Anyways, one of the new pools is open. Not the pool connected to the swim-up bar the one directly behind it. I saw maybe two people in it all week. I do not think that many people know it is open. It is kind of awkaward to swim their during the day while they are working but it looks great! Enjoy your trip and hopefully a lot more will be accomplished at that time!

update divi phoenix construction jan 2009

hello, just returned from 2 weeks in aruba jan 3-17,2009 we were scheduled to stay at the new beach villas at divi phoenix and upon showing up they are no where near complete. they are placing people in a building which has following things incomplete.
    hallways are not done opening everywhere windows missing even on 6 floor!!! duct tape holding number on service elevator bare light bulbs no flooring. Room had no plug covers,wires hanging out no ligt covers in ceilings range was not hooked up bathtub was not attached to wall. still smells heavily of cement pool does have water but not usuable yet ,restaurant is under full construction,buiding 2,3,4 all have no balconies yet landscaping not done and your room will overlook the dusty construction as well as you have to walk though it too reach beach as for noise they still have ful blown construction bobcats included and jackhammers going on. As I told the manager when I demanded they put me in another hotel,do you even have an occupancy permit this building is not safe yet. I am sure once all construction is comlete they will be nice although the 1 bedroom was very very small,but I would say they have at least 6-8 months min left to finish the construction.I did take photos that I will try to post any questions feel free I will try to reply.We ended up staying at divi village and golf resort in lo rise area best thing that ever could have happened. stayed in "the links"

I'm going in August. What are the chances of them being finished?? Any other helpful information would be great!

I was at the Phoenix from 1/17 to 1/24. Building A is open and occupied but there are a lot of little problems and some major ones as well. I had to move out to the Divi Links for our second week and they did a great job of acommodating me and my guests. Doug Kuhn, Resident Manager from NC is there, and is doing a good job. But there is only so much they can do when things are behind. We're dealing with foriegn contractors, some lazy workers, and materials not yet arrived. Nevertheless, they shouldn't have opened. And if you're thinking of renting out your unit, who would want to pay big bucks to listen to construction, have styrofoam in your beach and pool water, and get dust all over them, all week long. I did it for a week and could not do it any longer.

My wife and I decided NOT TO STAY the month of February because it would be a nightmare. We were going to rent, but you can't do that when we are dealing with construction conditions, problems with the rooms, unstocked items, broken utilities and appliances, etc..... so we have requested that our 2009 maintenace fees for this year be applied to next year. We'll see how that goes.

Pool: The pool has water in it but cannot be opened because of all the construction. The kiddy pool is huge and is in the way of the bigger pool. Looks like "hot tubs" will be cold tub whirlpool extensions of the swim up bar.

Units: They are behind schedule which is no surprise, but I can say the units will be nice, when they are complete. Complete being the operative word. Washer/dryer all in one is a disaster- they DO NOT work. Some shades are not up; ceiling fans missing; electrical system problematic; appliances missing; phone system problems; and a bunch of other minor issues. But the beds are AWESOME! Flat panel TV's are superb. A major issue is going to be where they will put all the people that will be inundating the pool and beach when all 4 buildings open. WOW!

Restaurant: It is not even close to opening. But they are working on it.

New Lobby: Foundation isn't even poured.

New Parking Lots: What? Not even a gleam in the stream yet.

New Beach: Yeah, right. There is not a hell of a lot of new beach. When we bought in 2007, we were told that the beach would be all the way down to the beach police station. No way. It's only 40 to 50, maybe 75 yards NW of the jetty. That section has some serious seaweed- I hope they are planning to dredge it out and clean it up.

Chickies: They are putting a lot of new chickies up but they are now so close together that you'll need a to be a limbo dancer to get around other parties to your chickie, or to /from the beach. That's not quite a big deal- I can handle this.

BOTTOM LINE: Why are they even open? They should be extending people's contracts and waiving maintenance fees but not opening until they are ready to host owners/investors in the manner they should be hosted. Something about not getting construction styrofoam flying into my food and drink is a little too much to expect I guess. I spent over 100 thousand dollars buying weeks 3-8 and I'm SOL this year for weeks 5-8 after having paid maintenance fees. My unit is not yet complete so how can there be maintenance. It is disappointing to say the least.

HOWEVER, DIVI is a professional outfit. It looks like they know what they are doing. I base this upon the 4 other properties they own and maintain. Me, my wife, and our guests were taken care of at the DIVI Links, but there is nothing like being right on the beach. I'm not a fan of golf cart rides.

My wife and I are appreciative of the efforts put forth by resident manager Doug Kuhn, the front desk staff, Activities Director Avril Culley, towel hut manager Carmen, and beach assistant Louis - they are good people and really care about us. But the corporate people are pushing the deadlines and resort operations are having trouble because there is only so much that can be done with limited time, manpower, and supplies.

So I'll leave you with my prognosis: It'll be GREAT next year.

Phoenix

I would like everyone to know, He's talking about
    the NEW units!, The Phoenix has units that are aprox
    12 yrs, they have made some changes to these units
    as well. However my husband & I own week 10-12
    in the Villas and it's GREAT. The new construction
    doesn't affect the Tower, Villas, Pools, Gym, Market
    or Restaurant!!!!!!!!!! If your staying in the existing
    units go and enjoy.

Phoenix Beach Villas Building A

Hello. In response to the posts about the condition of building A, we called them down there and the person who answered said that Building A is complete and being occupied without problems and has been since the end of December. But their tone was defensive. We have one of the penthouse units in Building A for week #9. I suppose if we wind up at the Links it would not be the end of the world but we will continue to monitor this forum and hope that as people come back in the next two weeks they will provide an update here.

Thanks

I walk by there daily and saw a woman trying to collect the flying strofoam. Maybe 3 or 4 units occupied. The walkway in front of the beach is open but the area is still under major construction and not many people staying in new area. Looks like it will take another month or two to settle down

Thanks for the pictures going in March can't wait to get back

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast