Aruba Beach

Thread: Divi Phoenix Beach palapa question

Divi Phoenix Beach palapa question

Hello All,

We are going first time to Aruba to Divi Phoenix Beach July 6-15. I have two questions re: palapas, huts, cabanas, etc…. Is there difference in types structure, or it’s the same individual shaded area that has different names? I read on this forum that some hotel officially charge pre-reservation fees, and in some, you just tip upfront $20, and have palapa reserved for you. Question: is there official reservation in Divi Phoenix? If you tip upfront, is the palapa yours for the whole day, part of the day, and do you tip $20 every day, or is it $20 for the whole week?

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Aruba since 1979
    i cannot answer your question re: paying/tipping/obtaining a palapa.

here are some names of the huts
    huts
    palayapa
    chickee

they are for all intents the same!
    different names for same thing.

my husband and i call them shade shacks

Quote Originally Posted by scorpi View Post
    Hello All,

We are going first time to Aruba to Divi Phoenix Beach July 6-15. I have two questions re: palapas, huts, cabanas, etc…. Is there difference in types structure, or it’s the same individual shaded area that has different names? I read on this forum that some hotel officially charge pre-reservation fees, and in some, you just tip upfront $20, and have palapa reserved for you. Question: is there official reservation in Divi Phoenix? If you tip upfront, is the palapa yours for the whole day, part of the day, and do you tip $20 every day, or is it $20 for the whole week?

Thanks a lot for your responses.

The palapas at the Phoenix are on a first come, first served basis. They are free to use for anyone staying at the Phoenix.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

As a guest at the Phoenix no charge, You shouldn't have a problem getting a hut at that time of the year. We go to the Phoenix twice a year, (May, Oct) and we have never had a problem getting a hut on the beach. They have expanded the beach area and have added more huts, go and enjoy.

We just returned two weeks ago. There were plenty of palapas to go around. We were up and on the beach by 7 and could always get a front row. I do think that there were some people who tipped the beach guy at the beginning of the week and he would put out their chairs and towels for them. As they had the same huts every day and DID NOT come out to the beach for several hours after I was there. This practice bothers me as it is not fair to everyone else. I don't want them to start reserving huts at Phoenix - either get out of bed and get outside or you lose.

Anyway - as I said there are plenty of huts to go around so you shouldn't worry. When we were there they were in the process of painting numbers on the poles which will be helpful when you want someone to find which hut you are at.