• 1 Post By Mr. Ratt
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By mjl60621
  • 4 Post By purestone2004
  • 1 Post By Kingpin
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa

Thread: how or where do people stay long term

how or where do people stay long term

My wife and I love going to Aruba. We are arriving this Sunday April 21,,,yay!!!! but I always see posts from people (non aruban) who seem to stay there long term. I just read the post from the lion fish guy who stated he was going for 5 months, I was always curious how folks actually do that. Do they stay in hotels which I would imagine could be very expensive, same with the food. As I stated i am curious and we are not wealthy people we save and come down every other year but I am totally envious of all of those who can stay for months.

Envious is a good word for it.
    I would bet that the majority of the folks that do spend what many of us might consider a lot of time in *paradise* are retired folk that have put in their time in the working world, and are now taking that much deserved break.
    You'll also likely find that many have spent a lot of winters in rather nasty climates, and now are taking every opportunity to make up for lost warmth time...

Sound about right folks?
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumjays View Post
    My wife and I love going to Aruba. We are arriving this Sunday April 21,,,yay!!!! but I always see posts from people (non aruban) who seem to stay there long term. I just read the post from the lion fish guy who stated he was going for 5 months, I was always curious how folks actually do that. Do they stay in hotels which I would imagine could be very expensive, same with the food. As I stated i am curious and we are not wealthy people we save and come down every other year but I am totally envious of all of those who can stay for months.
    There are a lot of homes and condos for rent by the month. Some people own a home or condo on the island and use it for long stays or frequent vacations. Some of these are for rent when the owner is not there. Staying on the island in a home is no more exspensive than staying in a home in New York as far as meals are concerned. We stay in a time share condo for 2 weeks. We have a full kitchen but dont cook unless you count toasting bagels and making coffee. We do eat most breakfasts on the balcony overlooking the ocean. We do stock up on breakfast and lunch items and beer and snacks. We eat a few breakfasts and lunches out but most are eaten on the balcony. We do eat every dinner out unless we get Pizza Bobs. If we stayed for 4 or 5 months, we would not eat out often.

Aruba since 1979
    there are some apartment-style places that folks can rent for about $2K per month or less for a few months.
    they are not luxurious and not on the beach

when we are in aruba, we eat in every other night.
    if we were there for a month or 2, we'd eat out probably only once or twice a week.

i know someone that bought 12 consecutive weeks of timeshare at the tropicana in aruba for $14,000. every year they stay the 12 weeks and it costs them their annual maintenance fees.............about $6000. so in the scheme of things it is a pretty good deal for them to get out of the cold for part of february, all of march, all of april and part of may. i live in a golf community in the tampa bay area. there are about 1600 homes here in our community and we have a huge contingent of snowbirds that are renters.........and the pretty standard rent here is $3500 p month with a 3 month minimum for a 2 bedroom house. pretty costly imo, and one can rent in aruba for less.

if we win the lottery someday, we may rent for a month or 2 in aruba.
    til then, with the grace from god, we will go 2x a yr or 2 weeks.

About a year ago I did some basic research on monthly rentals in Aruba. I found places at or less than $2k a month, some around $1,400. It was nice to find them because now I dream of going to Aruba for the entire winter someday. Still in my late 30s, so that dream is far away, but still nice to have because it is part of my long term goal. I hope to do that, @ least 1x before I die. Spend christmas in the states, then fly off to Aruba the next day, then stay until right before easter. This way we can still see friends and family in the US on major holidays.
    Someday..........

We spend about 2 months over the winter on the island (and smattering of time in between) Lucky enough to be able to buy a home 6 years ago. We are self-employed thus able to take off for that long. Like others said one of the keys is not really treating it "like a vacation" every day. We mainly eat at home and do "regular stuff" I have been known to just sit and watch tv. We will only eat out once or twice per week. But still must admit it is way nicer being on a budget on the island in January than working hard in Calgary.

Catashi, thats were our rented bungalow is. Our fav beach is Rogersbeach. Our favorite hangout, the Cigar Lounge of Ruben de Lange.
    We work way to manny days, almost take no days off for two years, save way to much money for two loooooong years.... then we stay 8 weeks on Aruba, rent a privatly owned bungalow with our own pool at Catashi near Santa Cruz, rent a car, cook ourselfs, go out some times for a meal. And live like a Aruban for 8 weeks...

http://www.arubaonehappyisland.com/en-UK/home.htm

Heres the thing. I spend 6 or 7 months in Aruba. We reant a house in Saveneta and we do alot of cooking in. You can live cheaper that way then in the states.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    Heres the thing. I spend 6 or 7 months in Aruba. We reant a house in Saveneta and we do alot of cooking in. You can live cheaper that way then in the states.
    Are there advantages of rental vs. purchase?
    Is renting a savings over purchasing?

Do you feel safe in your location?