Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New timeshare owner- getting more confused by the minute

don't know yet...only had one visit to Aruba so far....will let you know within the year :-)

New timeshare owner- getting more confused by the minute

Need help sorting it all out

My first visit to Aruba this past February and it was love at first sight...so bought 2 weeks(35 and 36) at Aruba Phoenix. Was told that if we don't use our 2 weeks our points can be transferred to following year, which was great since we prefer to travel during winter months, this way could accumulate extra points to exchange points to reserve at our home resort during winter. Also have unlimited bonus weeks anytime between april and dec. 24.My dilemma is that I loved it soooooooooooo much that I now would like to go 2 times during year.
    What are my options to get the max usage of my own 2 weeks and take advantage of all those bonus weeks at only the cost of our yearly maintence fees. I own a studio at Phoenix so that means I could book any number of weeks at 629.00(maintenance fee) as bonus weeks, or am I better off just renting from other owner that have rental posts.

I am looking to travel 2 weeks between August 20 and September 2011, and then do 2 to 3 weeks in February 2012. You all seem like you have so much experience (have been reading the different forums) figure you all might have some wise and great ideas to share with me.

Alto Vista Chapel, Renaissance Island, Arashi Beach

Thumbs up Welcome to Aruba

Hi Gianna,

We also own two weeks in Aruba. My advice to you is to rent the other weeks from owners on this board. The economy is forcing many owners to rent out their units, because they cannot afford the airfare.

My best,
    Susan

Next Aruba trip in

Aruba since 1979
    in hindsight
    i would not buy timeshare again.
    the maintenance fees are a killer for us.
    we rent out many of our weeks just to pay the bill.
    to do it all over again, i would skip buying timeshare.
    i would much prefer to rent timeshare from someone.

if you have unlimited bonus weeks and can still use your weeks next year, then in theory you should just be able to contact RCI ....i assume that is what you have since you say you are using points...and ask them when there is availability to go and then just book...of course as andrea stated it would be the 629 x the number of weeks you are planning on going and then again for the 2 weeks you go later in the year....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    in hindsight
    Andrea, know where you are coming from...have 3 and although I would not sell them it still kills me when the bill comes...have 2 of the 3 paid for and need to pay 3rd one by end of this month.....and since they are renovating divi 2 of the 3 units have a larger than normal fee attached...which they say will only be for 2 years and then back to normal.....yeah right, do I have stupid stamped across my forehead ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    in hindsight

gawd, where were you when I got snookered into buying a time share.
    With us-- we did not want to be tied to certain weeks so we liked the Occidental. (gave us 6 bonus weeks plus a 1 week in a delux room.) sounded good at the time but when figuring what we pay each month for the time share PLUS the minenetance fee--it worked out where I could do 2 weeks going on a vacation.

Guess it will work out better when we retire and can go for longer periods of time.

I rented it last year with no problems

Aruba since 1979
    the thing about the BONUS WEEKS is that it is based on AVAILABILITY.
    there are thousands of people in the DIVI system all hoping for BONUS WEEKS or accelerated weeks AND if you are lucky enough to book a bonus week, of course the maintenance fee has to be paid for that week.

lots of folks are rushed into buying while on the euphoric high of being on vacation.

disclosure........ i owned 10 units at LACABANA 10 weeks of timeshare.

we converted ALL of those to the bluegreen program using points and not being "married" to a certain week or season.
    it works for us, but still i wish i was a non owner.
    [/U]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianna View Post
    Need help sorting it all out

My first visit to Aruba this past February and it was love at first sight...so bought 2 weeks(35 and 36) at Aruba Phoenix. Was told that if we don't use our 2 weeks our points cane transferred to following year, which was great since we prefer to travel during winter months, this way could accumulate extra points to exchange points to reserve at our home resort during winter. Also have unlimited bonus weeks anytime between april and dec. 24.My dilemma is that I loved it soooooooooooo much that I now would like to go 2 times during year.
    What are my options to get the max usage of my own 2 weeks and take advantage of all those bonus weeks at only the cost of our yearly maintence fees. I own a studio at Phoenix so that means I could book any number of weeks at 629.00(maintenance fee) as bonus weeks, or am I better off just renting from other owner that have rental posts.

I am looking to travel 2 weeks between August 20 and September 2011, and then do 2 to 3 weeks in February 2012. You all seem like you have so much experience (have been reading the different forums) figure you all might have some wise and great ideas to share with me.

Aruba since 1979
    gianna START looking now for those FEB weeks you will be needing.
    Feb/Carnival is HIGH season and rentals are expensive, and bonus time units almost non existent.

maintenance fee: is it per year or for each week you want to use?

don't know yet...only had one visit to Aruba so far....will let you know within the year :-)
    first of all, thanks guys you have been really helpful
    will contact RCI and ask is availabilty for 2 bonus weeks between aug and sept
    and request usage of points for 2 weeks for february
    that is an 11 month advance reservation hopefully should be able to get 2 weeks
    the phoenix sales rep did assure us that phoenix owners get priority choice if reserving
    at home resort anything other than our fixed 2 weeks
    hopefully the reps are not just pitching lines to hook bait at time of sale
    and are truthful

and Andrea, if it doesn't work out at phoenix in feb maybe will just rent
    2 weeks directly from owners at lacabana since that is where we stayed
    during our first visit to aruba this past feb 2011 and had such a great
    time meeting great bunch of people
    again thanks so much for everyones advice really glad to have joined this forum
    Last edited by Gianna; 03-05-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast