Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Procedure for Renting a Timeshare

Procedure for Renting a Timeshare

I know I have read about this before on the forum, but could not find a thread. I think we will be renting 2 weeks at a timeshare next year. I have found people with units for rent on the Costa Linda website, so I know they must be CL members. Just wondering what the usual procedure is when renting from unknown people. Would rather be safe than sorry.
    Thanks
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Aruba since 1979
    i searched but did not see any threads with timeshare rental info. i know it has to be here.

but in abridged format

1. make sure the owner really is the owner or make sure that the person that is renting out the unit by using points really is the owner of the points and the reservation exists.

2. make sure that the owner is in good standing (no outstanding maintenance fees or assessments)

3. a payment schedule you can abide with. half down on reservation(usually non refuundable and the balance 90 days out.)

4. buy trip insurance so in the event that you have to cancel, you will get some money back.

i am in a situation right now with a forum member that had a balance of $550 to pay me 2 weeks ago. i have been told by her 3 times now that the "check is in the mail". i am ready to pull the plug on her rental, and rent it to someone else. how long do i beg? her name is NOT on the reservation. ......it was supposed to go on the reservation when i received the final payment. quite frankly, i will keep her deposit and call it a day.

1 more letter, this time registered sent this morning, with return signature, with a 1 week leeway. pay by apr 30 or you are done. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    I know I have read about this before on the forum, but could not find a thread. I think we will be renting 2 weeks at a timeshare next year. I have found people with units for rent on the Costa Linda website, so I know they must be CL members. Just wondering what the usual procedure is when renting from unknown people. Would rather be safe than sorry.
    Thanks

Thanks Andrea - I suppose i can confirm with the resort whether the people are owners and if they are in good standing?
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Aruba since 1979
    yes
    you can contact the resort to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    Thanks Andrea - I suppose i can confirm with the resort whether the people are owners and if they are in good standing?

Also - the owner normally puts the reservation in your name when all monies are paid? Is there usually some sort of contract with the first payment?
    Just trying to make sure I am smart about this - my DH would kill me if I get scammed - he is much more suspicious than I am - I am notoriously gullible and trusting.
    Thanks
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Aruba since 1979
    some folks make contracts other's don't.
    (shamefully, i do not)
    and the reservation goes into the renter's name when the whole thing is paid in full.

many owners require FULL payment at time of reservation.
    other's do not.

Rentals Aruba

I have 2 weeks for Rent at the Renaissance, I always have a contract,and within 24 hours of getting payment I forward a confirmation from the Resort with your Name on it confirming that you will be using the unit this year. Let me know if I can help. Bill (wshnfl@aol.com)

Does anybody have a copy of a good rental contract? or does the resort supply a standard contract? Also, is it customary to take a security deposit in case the renter damages the unit?

Aruba since 1979
    the security deposit is the credit card that the renter uses when he/she checks in.

Aruba since 1979
    many times i have not used a contract.
    recently i have used this 2x
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Timeshare Rental Agreement
    between Mr. and Mrs. Paul James and Mr.or Mrs. ____________

This agreement represents an agreement to rent a unit #______ at LaCabana Resort and Beach Club.

Price $____ due in full no later than ______ (date) by bank check._____________________(renterís initial)

Descriptions of unit LaCabana Resort and Beach Club, Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
    1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th floor 1 bedroom or studio unit with occupancy of 4.

Dates of rental are ________ thru _________.

Check in at LaCabana is at 4pm on ______
    Check out is at Noon on _________

There is a daily room surcharge of approximately $15, which is charged to the renterís folio.

This contract when signed by Mr. and Mrs. Paul James and __________ is binding and executed

When the check is received and cleared, the reservation confirmation will be mailed by email and regular mail to the renters.

We always advise our renters to obtain trip insurance for unexpected events that may lead to cancellation or flight delays.
    We do not refund any monies due to cancellations.
    The site we use is www.insuremytrip.com

___________________ Paul James _____________renter ___________________Andrea James _____________ renter
    Date

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast