Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Question for those that visit over Xmas/NYE

Thanks again to all of you who have responded. Tracey, we looked at the Playa about 6-10 years ago. We say a 2br with a huge balcony, I remember really liking the balcony a lot but don't really recall much else it was so long ago. I too worry about staying someplace we don't care for. We will tour a few places in Feb and see if we can't come up with a compromise instead of spending my sons future college education money on trips to the ritz, lol.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

If you choose not to go the timeshare route, I would check out the Amsterdam Manor. If you really wanted to trim costs, with a kitchenette in a studio or full kitchen in a one bedroom, two bedroom or penthouse (only unit with a dishwasher), you can REALLY cut costs.

We opted out of Xmas/NYE because flight prices were so ridiculous from Toronto. I'd recommend getting a sense of that cost as well.

Thanks again guys. I can almost deal with the 1300 each for the airfare, its the 1000+ each night for the room that I don't love. We would not use many of the benefits of the timeshare, I don't see us cooking at all on vacation. I am just looking to get the amount I pay for my hotel/timeshare down to a reasonable number and still be able to travel like we like to. I am going to have to compromise somehow/someway in order to make it work. My plan is to check out the Playa a little more, as well as the Surf and Ocean clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Thanks again guys. I can almost deal with the 1300 each for the airfare, its the 1000+ each night for the room that I don't love. We would not use many of the benefits of the timeshare, I don't see us cooking at all on vacation. I am just looking to get the amount I pay for my hotel/timeshare down to a reasonable number and still be able to travel like we like to. I am going to have to compromise somehow/someway in order to make it work. My plan is to check out the Playa a little more, as well as the Surf and Ocean clubs.
    Having stayed at both the Surf and Playa recently, I can say both have their upsides. It's hard to ignore the lazy river at the Surf and the rooms are nicer and recently renovated. I give the nod to Playa for the beach and price of units I've seen for sale. Playa Linda Beach is far less busy and we never felt like we might get swallowed by a sea of chairs like we did at the Surf. Both have less than ideal palapa reservation procedures but I will give that to Playa Linda too. Good luck with you decision and keep us posted!
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. Trip #8 coming November 2017!

You have to remember that Christmas and New Years week are the most expensive weeks of the year. Surf Club and Ocean Club will still be expensive for those 2 weeks but if you hook up with a owner, it will be a lot less than Marriott's prices.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 47th trip in June 2015 and 48th trip in Nov 2015.

We own at the SC and we love the ocean so going in the lazy river isn't a big draw for me, personally. The Ocean Club has really lovely rooms that were just renovated a few years back. The beach isn't as "packed in" as the SC and the pool has lots of space. Week 51 and 52 is busy but so is everywhere at that time period, except the Ritz .

I would suggest looking at the Ocean Club and definitely go via an owner. For two people, you can't beat the space of a one bedroom. Studios are a bit small but definitely manageable and a great idea to help keep costs down. Not sure if you ever looked at the studios (Queen bed, sofa, table and chairs, kitchenette, and full balcony), its just under 400 square feet.

Act1966- with respect to flights from Toronto, if you are willing to not do a direct flight and book relatively early you can find flights at a more reasonable cost. We don't live in Toronto so we always do two flights and have found that going via Toronto is very costly. Westjet flights at xmas and NY are very expensive (unless you have points, coupons, etc) and Air Canada can be reasonable but you need to grab their flights as soon as they come out. This year we "grabbed" return seats on Air Canada for Sunday Jan. 3rd for $400 per person, which as you know, is a fabulous price. That was done almost one year in advance. I know a lot of Torontoians prefer the direct flights but if you want to save some money, then having a stop over is the most economical.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thanks Tracey, I will do. I will do some "research" in Feb if I get a chance or in April when I am back by myself. The Playa is my first choice without doing any real research because of the location and there are fewer people.

Thanks Kent, I am prepared to pay a decent amount but I can't continue to spend 1000 plus each night I visit over Xmas and still go at least one other time during the year, but I won't stay anywhere that I am not happy with...I am a pita I know, lol.

Randi- Thanks for the reply. I would would prefer the spot at the ocean club because it has fewer people. I will try and see both places during my Feb trip if possible but I expect them to be really busy and may not have any rooms available to show.

The Ritz never feels crowded even when its sold out as it was over NYE- I could not get a room... They would be my first choice but I know the price will exceed 1500 nightly plus tax- even for their basic room, and for that price they won't be seeing me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast