Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: rent or own timeshare?

rent or own timeshare

What are everyone's thoughts on renting or buying a resale timwshare? We loves Aruba and want to make that our family vacation spot every year!

we keep going back and forth on what to do.

are there any restrictions on buying a resale?

thanks so much!

Aruba since 1979
    there are MANY benefits to buying resale.
    you DO want to make certain the the seller IS the actual owner and is current on their fees and assessments.

make certain that you do not buy into a timeshare place that is not reputable or use a realtor that is dishonest.

main benefit is that typically the price is lower by resale.

ALL of our lacabana units were resales and we had NO issues or difficulties.

we have turned all of our fixed week lacabana units into buegreen points and find that works for us better as the fees are lower and we are not locked into a fixed week or season.

i am sure you will get lots of replies.

just be cautious and do your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by michelehiggins View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on renting or buying a resale timwshare? We loves Aruba and want to make that our family vacation spot every year!

we keep going back and forth on what to do.

are there any restrictions on buying a resale?

thanks so much!

Stay at the resort before you buy. If you own you are locked in t a specific week- so airfare plays a part in the decision. Ask about the yearly fees and how much they have increased in the last 5 yrs. Ask about assesment fees.

Buy resale!

Good luck

We are looking into buying one at the MAriott surf.... we loves it there.
    What does it mean "floating" week? we like to go now in the summer becasue we have young kids, but as they get older would like maybe the flexability to go maybe another time of year. What is it called when you can go anytime from April to oct??

thanks

Aruba since 1979
    that is "floating"
    typically floating says you can use your week anytime between X and Y.
    and remember....it is based on availability!

Quote Originally Posted by michelehiggins View Post
    We are looking into buying one at the MAriott surf.... we loves it there.
    What does it mean "floating" week? we like to go now in the summer becasue we have young kids, but as they get older would like maybe the flexability to go maybe another time of year. What is it called when you can go anytime from April to oct??

thanks

and how do i know what the gold season is compared to the red or silver. I have been looking for a calender that tells me what season is what...

thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    maybe a marriott surf club owner could answer?

We talked about buying a resale timeshare this year that was well suited to our needs, but when I factored in the sale price and maintenance fees, I determined that it would take us 8 years of vacations to break even. Life can throw so many curveballs in 8 years. We couldn't justify locking ourselves in to a financial obligation for a luxury that we could just wait for and be more flexible with on an annual basis depending on our circumstances each year.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 10-16-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We talked about buying a resale timeshare this year that was well suited to our needs, but when I factored in the sale price and maintenance fees, I determined that it would take us 8 years of vacations to break even. Life can throw so many curveballs in 8 years. We couldn't justify locking ourselves in to a financial obligation for a luxury that we could just wait for and be more flexible with on an annual basis depending on our circumstances each year.
    We totally agree. We attended a couple of timeshare meetings at different resorts a few years ago and ran the numbers with our financial advisor. His words were "run, don't just walk away", which we had already done. Even though buying a resale is much cheaper, and not that difficult to find, you really end up "owning" nothing. We've also found that by simply planning ahead and watching for reasonable airfare, we can travel to the island when we want and save a significant amount of money. Unfortunately, just like a timeshare, we still don't own anything.

We bought a timeshare for one simple reason: to force us to take a vacation. We were so wrapped up in work and family we realized we never did anything just for ourselves. We bought at the Surf Club, and have not regretted it for a second. If the maintenance fees and cost is prohibitive, then I agree with renting, but I would look for a deal to buy a resale at the first opportunity. We bought in the gold season which allows us a great band of time in which to travel. We have been fortunate to visit every month from May to October on our own schedule over the years. By owning, it's one less expense we encounter for our trip. Other than the maintenance fees, pretty much plane tickets and food are all we need to worry about year to year. And already having a place makes us plan and take a vacation each year, something we need to do for ourselves, and where better than Aruba?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast