Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Club vs. Ocean Club

Surf Club vs. Ocean Club

We have a timeshare at Surf Club but was shut out for the WHOLE Summer when I tried to reserve in December. Instead booked at Ocen Club. Anyone know if Ocean Club measures up to Surf Club? I understand you have to wear a wrist band to use the Lazy River if not staying at Surf Club, is that right? Does Ocean Club have in-room washers and dryers?

Thanks!

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I haven't stayed at either club though I did do a preview tour of the S.C. The Ocean Club does not have washer/dryers in the unit.

Ocean Club

Returned last week from the Stellaris, stayed at the Surf Club last August. The Ocean Club is far better as the Surf Club is overcrowded, and as of last week had very few palapas. The Surf Club pool is also quite far from the beach.

The Ocean Club was built properly regarding the size of the pool, the number of chairs at the pool, and the size of the beach. Everyone, both Surf and Ocean Club, need to wear the wrist bands for the lazy river but I would not bother. The lazy river was overcrowded and you spent your day bumping into people.

You will love the Ocean Club. Marriott should be ashamed of the Surf Club. You can identify with this as you would not even book 7 months in advance for a room. When they open the two new buildings the number of units will jump from 250 to 375. There is no place for these people to relax.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Surf club requires wrist bands. they check, guards watch the water and throw you out if you don't have one. We saw 10 people get thrown out in April.

Thanks!

I appreciate the replies! I feel much better now about our upcoming stay at he Ocean Club. I guess I was most bitter that I couldn't even get a reservation at my home resort and then had to pay extra for the OC reservation.

John - I can understand why you were "bitter" about being refused a room at a timeshare facility where you OWN time!!! I suggest you complain to Marriott Corporate offices about that extra charge for having to move over to the Ocean Club. I have recently visited both the Ocean Club and Surf Club although i did not stay there myself. The Ocean Club is lovely. In fact, I like the pool area and beach there much better than the Surf Club. The Surf Club pool and Lazy River were crowded and there were lots of kids playing and splashing in it. i think you will be happy at the Ocean Club and see what you can do about getting rid of that "extra charge" - write an e-mail to customer service or go right to the top and e-mail the CEO or President of the Marriott Corporation. Afterall, you are now a member of their "family" of owners. let them treat you like one. Good luck and let us know if you get that charge taken off. I'm bitter for you!!!!

Surf club vs Ocean club

Not being able to get a reservation in December, for the summer, is part of owning a 'floating' week. If you don't plan your vacation 10-12 months in advance, when the new buildings open, you probably won't get in at all unless you do an II exchange. The Marriott has far too many units, especially at the Surf Club. You'll be happier at the Ocean Club. Having elbow to elbow people around the pool and getting up at 5am to get a palapa, is not my idea of vacation.

Ownership

Are there any catches to owning you timeshare there with Marriott. I am looking at buying one right now and I'm trying to weight all the options and possibilities and such. Any help on your thoughts of ownership for far would be greatly appreciated.

- Is it worth the cost?
    - Easy to exchange for somewhere else?
    - How hard to get the weeks you want even if you book 10-12 mo ahead
    - Are there any other unmentioned or unforeseen catches that a not yet owner wouldn't know.

Thank you guys very much. I really appreciate your time. Maybe we'll be neighbors.

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by redfli View Post
    Are there any catches to owning you timeshare there with Marriott. I am looking at buying one right now and I'm trying to weight all the options and possibilities and such. Any help on your thoughts of ownership for far would be greatly appreciated.

- Is it worth the cost?
    - Easy to exchange for somewhere else?
    - How hard to get the weeks you want even if you book 10-12 mo ahead
    - Are there any other unmentioned or unforeseen catches that a not yet owner wouldn't know.

Thank you guys very much. I really appreciate your time. Maybe we'll be neighbors.

Dustin
    I'm an owner at the Surf Club.The cost of owning a timeshare isn't for everyone,your going to pay $25,000 for a two bedroom its only worth it if you go on vacation every year and stay at five star resorts.You have to remember you own it for life.I think it is worth it.I get my moneys worth by using the lock off unit the first week and the master suite for the second week.
    We were thinking of going to Hawaii last year and had no problem trading it.
    When we get home from Aruba(we go the end of October) We start to plan for the following year start.I have never had a problem.
    The only other thing you should know is the maintenance fee is $1100.00 per year
    I hope this helped you in making your choice.It is a great place to stay.
    Last edited by DANNYO; 04-17-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: wrong price

DannyO

Thanks for that great reply. That helps a lot. I've looked into other Marriott Ocean Clubs and it looks like the Aruba one is not a deeded property like the other ones in say Maui. Is your's that way and how long is the lease. I've hear between 45 years and 99 years. I live in the US, and they told me that because it's not a US property it's not a deeded for life property.

When you want Marriott to rent your weeks for you, say you don't want to come that year and you would rather have the money instead of the points, how good are they about that? Do they give you a good compensation and are the pretty easy to work with? That's really my only other concern right now as I'm deciding. Say my wife and I get pregnant and that year is not a good one and I want the money, I'm curious as to how easy and how much of the original cost they'll get to you. Thanks again for all your help.

Dustin
    Last edited by redfli; 04-19-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast