Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timeshare auctions on EBAY

I think you are right on target with your assessment. We bought an oceanfront at the Marriott Surf Club 5 years ago for the gold season (basically Feb-Nov.). It is a premium location as there are only 26 oceanfront rooms out of more than 400 rooms at the Surf Club, so we were able to trade for another premium Marriott property in Maui without a problem the one time we skipped Aruba. We never viewed the TS as an investment, but rather as our annual vacation property. We bought in Aruba because we knew it is a location we would be happy going back to every year. For an annual maintenance fee of about $1,100 we get a 2 BR oceanfront villa for a week of our choice in a premium facility and get to bring family and friends with us- much less than a week down the New Jersey shore would cost. If we tried to sell in this market, I am sure we would lose money, but that was never our intention and I think it is the people who thought they could buy and flip or rent at a profit who are disappointed. IMO, there are just so many options on the island that it will always be a buyers market.

I have a week for rent at any of the Divi's. One bedroom, 1 & 1/2 bath. $950.00 for the week. Can be used any week from Mid March to Mid December upon availability. I switched my owned week (Week 19) to the Divi Vacation Club - that way I can use the week whenever.

Why buy?

Just got back from Aruba and loved it. So much i'm looking into getting my own timeshare. The room was very basic and in all honesty not much of a room at the divi dutch, but since we are an active couple and spent about 10% of a time in the room I really didn't care. As long as the bed is comfortable the location and complex is secure that's all that really matters as I would rather stay at a basic place for 2 weeks a year in aruba instead of getting a nice place and spending only a week.

I did a quick search online and was overwhelemd at the amount of low budget BS sites trying to sale or be a broker for the actual sellers. So I called them directly and it really didn't make since to pay $6000+ to purchase a timeshare that forces you into a fixed week and still requires you to pay a $700 annual maintenance fee!! If you purchase it calculate the amount you pay in sign up and and maintenance fees for 40 years you pay $830 a year. This doesn't include any "specal service" fees that may come up or any rate changes to the maintenace fee. Out of curiosity I went online to just rent a room and was shocked to see that even after taxes the rental fee for the same week I was considering buying is only $880!! A total savings of $50.00 hahahah I just don't see why on earth ANYONE would buy when they could rent for almost the same price and NOT be fixed into the a specific week????

Is it just this 1 resort or all they are this backwards?

Aruba since 1979
    what works for some does not work for others.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f23/times...ns-ebay-46763/

this thread may explain some timeshare info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lght View Post
    Just got back from Aruba and loved it. So much i'm looking into getting my own timeshare. The room was very basic and in all honesty not much of a room at the divi dutch, but since we are an active couple and spent about 10% of a time in the room I really didn't care. As long as the bed is comfortable the location and complex is secure that's all that really matters as I would rather stay at a basic place for 2 weeks a year in aruba instead of getting a nice place and spending only a week.

I did a quick search online and was overwhelemd at the amount of low budget BS sites trying to sale or be a broker for the actual sellers. So I called them directly and it really didn't make since to pay $6000+ to purchase a timeshare that forces you into a fixed week and still requires you to pay a $700 annual maintenance fee!! If you purchase it calculate the amount you pay in sign up and and maintenance fees for 40 years you pay $830 a year. This doesn't include any "specal service" fees that may come up or any rate changes to the maintenace fee. Out of curiosity I went online to just rent a room and was shocked to see that even after taxes the rental fee for the same week I was considering buying is only $880!! A total savings of $50.00 hahahah I just don't see why on earth ANYONE would buy when they could rent for almost the same price and NOT be fixed into the a specific week????

Is it just this 1 resort or all they are this backwards?

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    I think they have changed the way timeshares work since my in-laws bought theirs. They don't have to pay the maintenance fee if they don't use it. Not that they have missed using their TS even once in 30+ years! LOL
    The one reason I wouldn't mind buying a TS is so I'm guaranteed that I'll take that vacation!! I always want to be in Aruba - DH on the other hand...he likes it but would like to see other places.

Aruba since 1979
    some of the divi's with the "older contracts" have the deal that you only pay the maintenance fee when one uses the unit.
    unsure if marriott has/had the same program.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    I think they have changed the way timeshares work since my in-laws bought theirs. They don't have to pay the maintenance fee if they don't use it. Not that they have missed using their TS even once in 30+ years! LOL
    The one reason I wouldn't mind buying a TS is so I'm guaranteed that I'll take that vacation!! I always want to be in Aruba - DH on the other hand...he likes it but would like to see other places.

Well that must be an old "divi" contract, because when I talked to them about it they said that only happens AFTER your 40 years is over lol. Bottom line is if it's the same cost to just rent a week like a hotel why bother buying. I can put the down payment of $6500 in the bank and collect interest on it for the next 40 years.

Aruba since 1979
    yes the older contracts i believe my words were "some of the divi's with the "older contracts"

it is not only about money.
    some timeshare holders love the idea of "owning a week".
    bought at low prices and have a deal that cannot be surpassed even by renting.

if you look at resale timeshare prices and redo the math, you might be pleasantly surprised at the "bargains" out there.

many timeshare owners say "NEVER BUY DIRECTLY FROM THE RESORT".
    i agree as the buyer will pay upwards of 200% more.

and if you took your $6500 and put it in the bank, that interest is mighty low.
    we just found a cd here in fla that is paying 2.75% and that is huge compared to other banks. but still not high enough for us to tie it up for so long.

reminder to all...........when folks feel picked on/insulted/minimized/slighted for owning a timeshare, they take it personally as well they should. they consider their timeshare unit their HOME for their stay in aruba. one should never minimize or insult or slight one's home.

Quote Originally Posted by lght View Post
    Well that must be an old "divi" contract, because when I talked to them about it they said that only happens AFTER your 40 years is over lol. Bottom line is if it's the same cost to just rent a week like a hotel why bother buying. I can put the down payment of $6500 in the bank and collect interest on it for the next 40 years.

I agree with you Andrea, everyone I spoke to seems to feel that Aruba is like their second home and that means their TS unit. I didn't mean to minimize or insult. I meant just timeshares overall aren't an investment but like I said, if you want a guaranteed vacation and love to go there time and again, then a timeshare is for you. It's just not a moneymaker but it is a vacationmaker instead! It does make it easier to take that trip and you feel almost obligated if you own the TS. It obviously works for thousands or they wouldn't still be building and selling them. For me, it makes sense to rent. For others, they buy. I just don't think anyone should buy thinking they can rent for a profit or sell and not lose money on the transaction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast