PDA

View Full Version : Beach Chairs and Umbrella's

kat
01-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Okay, this may not be necessary, but after reading the horror stories of having to get up a dawn to get a palapa at the Surf club, I'm planning ahead. So, does any one have recommendations for a place to find cheap, small folding beach chairs? (Maybe looking for a cooler too).
I don't remember Ling and Sons having this kind of stuff.:confused:

Randi
01-20-2008, 09:22 AM
You can buy a lot of things at Certified which is near Ling and Sons. You can bring your own beach chair at the Surf Club but the issue is not finding a chair. There are lots of chairs...its finding the area in which you want to sit during high season!:(

If you want to sit at the beach but away from the front of the beach, no problem, you can get space. It is the issue with sitting by the water that is the problem. The huts, well that is a totally different story.............

Arubalisa
01-20-2008, 11:48 AM
The huts, well that is a totally different story.............
Is the word "horror" :eek: story? Dd would love the lazy river, but dh can only wake up so early to get a palapa.

phillyboater
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Bring along a soft side collapsible cooler. You can get them at drug stores, Target, Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods. Either fold it up for the trip or fill it with items that need a little cushioning.

tds-ken
01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Flora Market has chairs a lounges as well, they will deliver. They are over my the airport right next to Price Mart.

tofare
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Everyone,
When we are in Aruba, we like to go to remote beaches for snorkeling, many of which have no cover. Can anyone tell me where I can rent or purchase beach chairs / umbrella's. If anyone would like to lend me their's for the two weeks I will be there in Sept, I would be happy to take you to a nice dinner.

Tony

Andrea J.
06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
your best bet may be to pick up a few beach chairs at the local hardware store WEMA or the Certified grocery/mall may carry them.

problem with the umbrellas is the WIND. the wind will cause umbrellas to be projectiles.
very rarely do you see the portable umbrellas in aruba, due to their danger.
Hi Everyone,
When we are in Aruba, we like to go to remote beaches for snorkeling, many of which have no cover. Can anyone tell me where I can rent or purchase beach chairs / umbrella's. If anyone would like to lend me their's for the two weeks I will be there in Sept, I would be happy to take you to a nice dinner.

Tony

cindyo
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Tony

Hadicurai restaurant rents chairs as well as at mooba Beach.

Liz - Aruba Lover
06-17-2010, 02:18 PM
At Moomba Beach this past Dec/Jan and April when I was there, chairs were free.

Andrea J.
06-17-2010, 02:33 PM
the original poster, is looking for beach chairs to bring with him/her to other locations.

"Hi Everyone,
When we are in Aruba, we like to go to remote beaches for snorkeling, many of which have no cover. Can anyone tell me where I can rent or purchase beach chairs / umbrella's."

so, the chairs at moombas, free or otherwise unfortunately will not help him unless moombas lets him borrow one to bring offsite for the duration ;-)

tofare
06-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I snorkel at beachs all over the island so I need to be able to throw the chairs in the trunk. If any one can tell me where to buy on the island those fold up chairs that fit in a sack and how much they are, that would be really helpfull.

Thanks!

sunworshipperII
06-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I would think the brandsmart down there would have beach chairs maybe that have a canopy on them???

Liz - Aruba Lover
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I would think the brandsmart down there would have beach chairs maybe that have a canopy on them???

I think you mean PriceSmart. I haven't seen beach chairs at PriceSmart but I have never looked for them.

Andrea J.
06-17-2010, 09:13 PM
the hardware stores carry them.
the certified mall/certified grocery store has the low foldable beach/sand chairs.

sunworshipperII
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks brandsmart is in florida....

tofare
06-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi,
thanks everyone for your replies on my my posts
just one more question: where exactly is the certified mall/certified grocery store?

tofare
06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Can someone tell me exactly where this store is.
Landmarks would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Andrea J.
06-24-2010, 02:45 PM
coming from the downtown area heading toward the hotel area.
@ the roundabout where there is a wendys, turn right and then turn left into the parking lot/road that runs parallel with that main drag.

follow that parking lot road up a few hundred yds and certified mall/grocery will be on the right.

sunnysmiles
06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
our neighbors in March found the low beach chairs at certified. They said that's all they had there. Anywhere else they looked they were out but it was a pretty busy time then.

cooliecanpro
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Hasn't anyone ever tried the umbrella screw anchor? It literally screws into the sand and is said to hold an 8' umbrella in 35mph winds. Metal or plastic, 1-4 lbs, $12-29. Not something you would want to pack per trip. Having your own umbrella may end some squabbles over a shade hut.

Andrea J.
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
i would not chance it.
an 8 foot umbrella as a projectile is a recipe for death and disaster.

Hasn't anyone ever tried the umbrella screw anchor? It literally screws into the sand and is said to hold an 8' umbrella in 35mph winds. Metal or plastic, 1-4 lbs, $12-29. Not something you would want to pack per trip. Having your own umbrella may end some squabbles over a shade hut.

cooliecanpro
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh well. With the winds of Lake Michigan beaches, some prefer shade while others kite surf. I only experienced one day of sand blowing Aruba winds. Sorry, I can't understand why nobody has successfully used an umbrella.

Arubalisa
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Maybe no one uses them because of the wind gusting to year round on average from 28 - 37 mph. :confused: Sustained wind speeds on average of 19-20 mph may not sound windy, but the gusts of 36-37 mph are the real "gottchas".

purpleangel
07-09-2010, 10:04 AM

I just received one of these and used it at a local beach. It's great! Using this sand anchor with an umbrella in Aruba wouldn't work. Palapas are the best bet.

BettyV
03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone--

My husband and I are in Aruba every year in November and would like to rent reclining multiposition beach chairs (the kind you can carry)--so that we can enjoy the "less popular" beaches w/out having to sit in the sand.

Any idea where? how much? and can they deliver the chairs to a hotel?

Andrea J.
03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
i do not know of rental, but certified grocery and the hardware store on the same street as certified sells reclining beach chairs.........the low ones that recline all of the way down.....
approx $35 .

stinky2
03-31-2011, 01:03 PM
There are so many beaches we wish to visit, and some of them charge quite a bit for rental right? I would like to save some money if possible.

Arubalisa
03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
you can buy a lot of things at certified which is near ling and sons.
flora market has chairs a lounges as well, they will deliver. They are over my the airport right next to price mart.
your best bet may be to pick up a few beach chairs at the local hadware store wema or the certified grocery/mall may carry them.
i think you mean pricesmart. I haven't seen beach chairs at pricesmart but i have never looked for them.
the hardware stores carry them. The certified mall/certified grocery store has the low foldable beach/sand chairs.
our neighbors in march found the low beach chairs at certified. they said that's all they had there. Anywhere else they looked they were out but it was a pretty busy time then.:) :) :) check bolded above ;)

STL15
02-09-2015, 10:32 AM
FYI - the wife and I bought a set of two backpack beach chairs, two umbrellas (clip on to chair) and a small table at the Price Smart for $60.00. We thought this was a great price and ended up saving us a lot of $$$. Visited many beaches and brought our own drinks.

Ended up leaving them at the rental apartment for the next visitors.

gaby
02-09-2015, 01:13 PM
where is flora market? we went to certified but the lounge chairs, the kind that you lie down on were very expensive, like a hundred bucks each. we don't want the chair ones. we haven't tried wema, do they carry them? but flora market, do you turn down the street of price mart past that asia store???

Andrea J.
02-09-2015, 05:22 PM
flora NEXT to pricemart and across from Asia store
where is flora market? we went to certified but the lounge chairs, the kind that you lie down on were very expensive, like a hundred bucks each. we don't want the chair ones. we haven't tried wema, do they carry them? but flora market, do you turn down the street of price mart past that asia store???

gaby
02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Thank you, we'll check it out

ArubaMike
02-09-2015, 11:51 PM
I remember years ago my Grandmother had those fold up lounge chairs, they folded into 3 parts and expanded into full loungers. I bet if I had them they would fit in the suit case, but then still need Shade. In the summer we take umbrellas to the Jersey Shore and a lot of times, we must put them down because of wind. In Aruba, it would never work, or at least not something I want to try. I have watched those things blow across the beach (in NJ).

Its too early for me to plan that out, but we have to start thinking about our options as well since we are renting a house. We will visit several beaches this time and get a real feel of the Island instead of staying put at an AI the whole time.

More planning. Love it

gaby
02-10-2015, 06:31 AM
ArubaMike, those are the chairs we were looking for. If who we rent from doesn't have them any more (they were in bad shape last year), then we may buy cheap at end of summer and bring them and leave them. we go to arashi and they have palapas so i'm good for shade.

we upgraded so we don't have to pay for luggage and we do carry on anyway. but if I could get them in aruba for like 30 or 40 dollars each, i'd get them there & leave them since we rent from the same place each year. Certified has them for like $100, Asia Island store for more than that. We don't want the chairs that go back, we want the long loungers that fold up. If anyone goes to Wema or Flora and sees them, let us know the price. They are the cheaper long sun loungers that fold up in three.

apple51
02-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Where would you find one of these anchor screws for the sun umbrella

apple51
02-05-2016, 06:12 AM
Where would we find one of the screw anchors for umbrella

Andrea J.
02-05-2016, 09:22 AM
4761Something like this?

linda_2332
03-08-2016, 02:14 AM
My husband is a fair red head and he has just had a cancerous melanoma removed from his back. It is vital to us that he have shade for the beach. We are staying at the Holiday Inn and their palapa reservation system is horrible. No I don't want to get a credit card or line up for an hour the day before. Does the Holiday Inn have any shaded areas on the beach? Is there no enterprising person who rents chairs with umbrellas or just the umbrellas on the beaches? Thanks for your help. Linda

Andrea J.
03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
he may be able to pull his lounge to the area where there are a few trees .
i have not been on holiday inn's section of palm beach in years.
last time i was there, there was a shaded area under the trees.
watch out for falling coconuts.

how bad is the holiday inn palapa situation?
i have not read many (or any ) complaints about their system.

My husband is a fair red head and he has just had a cancerous melanoma removed from his back. It is vital to us that he have shade for the beach. We are staying at the Holiday Inn and their palapa reservation system is horrible. No I don't want to get a credit card or line up for an hour the day before. Does the Holiday Inn have any shaded areas on the beach? Is there no enterprising person who rents chairs with umbrellas or just the umbrellas on the beaches? Thanks for your help. Linda

Arubalisa
03-08-2016, 04:16 PM
If all else fails, walk to the Radisson. In December there were no fewer than 4 vendors renting umbrellas. Do know though the sun in Aruba is still strong enough to reflect off the sand and reach you under any umbrella or palapa. :( Good luck with your situation.

Liz - Aruba Lover
03-08-2016, 04:20 PM

There are enough lounge chairs stacked in the different areas of the H.I. beach to pull a chair under a tree. I find the trees by the Ocean Tower not high enough to give much shade. In front of the Palm Tower there is more shade. There are 2 pools. The Ocean Tower has a few umbrella's between the lounges. The Sea Tower has a nice new pool where they have a few shaded cabana's which are really nice. If I remember correctly their are 7 cabanas. The towel guy told me they are first come, they are not reserved. Don't know how early people get out there to claim a cabana. The towel hut by the Sea Tower opens at 7 am. The other towel hut is on the beach at the Palm Tower. Here is a video I took a couple of years about before they renovated the Lobby. The room shown is at the Sea Tower.

I took this video a couple of years ago. At approx. 1:00 in the video shows the pool and cabanas at the Sea Tower. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMIWDDB8LA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMIWDDB8LA)

Next to the Sea Tower is Moomba's Bar & Restaurant. There is a vendor there that rents umbrellas & lounges.

Andrea J.
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
also too linda...........your husband may want to invest in a rashguard shirt and large brimmed hat.
my husband has a large brimmed hat that he bought in a golf store. it can get wet and it can be crushed up.
he has had it for 2 years and it wears well