PDA

View Full Version : Very difficult to drive!

ColdinNY2
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
There are NO street signs and we ended up being very frustrated. Alot of people didnt speak english so it was even harder!

NYer
01-26-2008, 01:56 PM
get yourself a good map (borch is best)...and make sure to drive around during the day when you can still see things. Part of the fun of driving on Aruba is getting lost...you can never get too lost!;)

AuntieMame
01-26-2008, 02:38 PM
There are NO street signs and we ended up being very frustrated. Alot of people didnt speak english so it was even harder!

We have been to Aruba 7 times and still get lost in town and (less often) out in the cunucu. It's hard not to get frustrated.

We solved the problem by going to town by public transport when we would be staying for a meal and it would be dark. Other than that we decided to make a game of it. I can you how many times we passed El Gaucho while looking for something else because we decided to count passings.:rolleyes: Last time to Rumba we passed ElGaucho only twice. That was a record.

It's all in your attitude/perception I suppose. (Not that saying that helps much)

dividivi
01-26-2008, 02:57 PM
We think it's rather easy to drive in Aruba compared to other places. The signs are fairly easy to understand and the island is small so you can never get too lost. There's traffic, but it's not dangerously crazy and most roads run east-west or north-south.

Now Naples or Athens...THAT'S difficult driving.

sagman17
01-26-2008, 03:46 PM
aruba was a breeze compared to curacao..in curacao people really didn't speak english and all signs were in dutch..street signs on map weren't on the road and the one's on the road weren't on the map..my wife and i were driving up this road doing about 40 mph and she's reading the map and she tells me from reading the map that the turn we need is just above the crest of the hill..when i hit the crest of the hill doing 40 mph no less the road just ended..i had to slam on the brakes and avoid trees and rocks while getting the car to stop..now that's excitement..needless to say after that we took the car back to the rental place and cabbed it from then on or walked..

AuntieMame
01-26-2008, 04:30 PM
:p:p You guys are too much.

I prefer driving in Aruba to driving in England. But it is fun to see the looks on the faces of the oncoming drivers as I drive on the wrong side of the road. :eek:

phillyboater
01-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Half the fun of driving in Aruba is getting lost. Still get lost after trip number 6. Found some great places while lost.

Arubalisa
01-26-2008, 04:59 PM
...and the bright side is...:D the island is less than 20 miles long as the crow flies...:thumb:

love aruba 99
01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
JAN. 31st WILL BE MY 39th TRIP, STILL GET LOST " I LOVE IT ":):):)

Art S
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
You don't know what 'getting lost' is all about until you try to drive back from Marandi in the dark (even though they GIVE you a hand-drawn map to help).

suesull
01-27-2008, 12:06 AM
After driving in Puerto Rico, Aruba is a breeze. You can't get too lost and communication with others is relatively easy. I drive and the hubby navigates no matter where were are. As with so many things in life, it's all a matter of perspective.

AuntieMame
01-27-2008, 09:56 AM
After driving in Puerto Rico, Aruba is a breeze. You can't get too lost and communication with others is relatively easy. I drive and the hubby navigates no matter where were are. As with so many things in life, it's all a matter of perspective.

Agreed. We got way more lost in Puerto Rico.

Coen
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Come on. How can you get lost on Aruba? The island is tiny, there are only a few major roads. Even with the simplest of maps you can get anywhere.

BTW: Why should people have to speak English? Maybe try adapting to the country you are visiting. That includes trying to speak some basic Papiamento with the emphasis on trying, your effort will be rewarded.

Andrea J.
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
maybe it is because i have had unpleasant dealings with a community member today..................and my mood has soured........................but, is this beginning to get a bit mean spirited?

yup even with the simplest of maps, with good diagrams, my friend charlie and i became so lost driving from the aruba airport to lacabana that i became nervous
(how many times have i made that trip????? 30, 40, 50?).

i tried looking at the direction the trees were blowing/leaning and did not have a clue. get this, we wound up after 35 minutes of driving, wound up in the wayaca neighborhood (where cheryl's house is). a grand total of 20 miles driven and we wound up 1 mile from where we started. talk about feeling stupid?

and we did stop to ask directions 2x and both times the folks were able to answer us in poor English...but communication was made!

yup, many of us can get lost in aruba.....been there, done that.

Come on. How can you get lost on Aruba? The island is tiny, there are only a few major roads. Even with the simplest of maps you can get anywhere.

please play nice

andrea

BTW: Why should people have to speak English? Maybe try adapting to the country you are visiting. That includes trying to speak some basic Papiamento with the emphasis on trying, your effort will be rewarded.

Iluvrum
02-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Trying to drive on St Thomas and St. John was aweful! Not only do you drive on the "wrong" side of the road (to quote Kenny Chesney!) but its nothing but curves/switchbacks and takes 40 minutes to drive 12 miles. (12 miles the way the crow flies = 30 miles on the road!) Add the "taxis" to the equation (pickup trucks with benches in the back) driven by locals 100mph and whew! I have yet to make my first trip to aruba (4 weeks from today! :)) but I can't imagine its worse. I mean, isn't Aruba basically flat? you can't drive on STJohn after a rain without 4wheel drive.

I think it helps to study arial views (google satelite or something) of an island before you go, then you can kind of get your "bearings." JMHO!!:D

tds-ken
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Everyone who has ever tried to drive in Aruba has done it wrong. We have all ended up wrong way on a one way street. Usually they honk (what is new) and I think the locals like the change of pace.

I would just enjoy being there. I am in no way condoning bad driving, but it happens. Remember ONE HAPPY ISLAND!!!!