PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching In Aruba

lou and nay
01-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Does anyone in the forum geocache?

My fiance and I will be coming to Aruba Sept 1-Sept 8 for our honeymoon, and I thought it would be a great way to get out and see the island without being in a group.

Any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated!

Bryan Morris
02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Rent a jeep, get a map and you're on your own.

Have fun,

Bryan Morris
Aruba's Premier Wedding Photographer (http://www.bryanmorrisphotography.com)

lou and nay
03-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks Bryan :), but I was looking to see if anyone geocaches specifically.

If anyone doesn't know what geocaching is check out:

Geocaching FAQ (http://www.geocaching.com/faq/)

Aruba Geocaches (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=20&x=2&y=12)

I think many of you would enjoy geocaching on Aruba (or any of the other 541,309 active caches worldwide), if you haven't already. It's a great way to visit a new place.

Arubalisa
03-22-2008, 08:37 AM
I "think" we are going to give it a shot in June...will let you know how it goes upon our return.

phillyboater
03-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Just purchased a new GPS and plan to give it a try in November. Let me know how you make out.

donsullivan
03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
What type of GPS unit will work? I have a Nuvi 350 but I don't think taht will work

lou and nay
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
What type of GPS unit will work? I have a Nuvi 350 but I don't think taht will work

The Nuvi 350 will work for geocaching, but it is not the best type GPS for the geocaching job.

Nuvi's are meant for road navigation. The best GPS for non-road navigation are hiking GPS. They do not want to stick to roads (by default) and they are much more resistant.

For starting out, I recommend the Garmin eTrex Legend series (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145). It is waterproof (up to one meter for 30 minutes), it floats, and it has rubber sides for banging off rocks. It also can connect to your computer for downloading points.

The eTrex Legend has been around for a while and you can find them in almost any store or online. eBay is usually a safe bet since you can be pretty sure the gps has withstood any punishment.

Bryan Morris
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Lou&Nay,

This looks cool. I've just briefly went over the website you've posted. I will research in depth when I have some time. Very interesting.

Regards,

Bryan Morris

Andrea J.
05-03-2014, 08:59 AM
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=20&as=1&ex=0&cFilter=9a79e6ce-3344-409c-bbe9-496530baf758&children=n

Geocaching has gotten very popular.
Who does this while in Aruba?

arubabob
05-03-2014, 11:17 AM
So basically you play hide and seek with a gps. Think I will just snorkel and play golf.

Andrea J.
05-03-2014, 11:32 AM
it is hugely popular here in the USA and in the UK.
the reason i posted here is because, this morning in the pouring rain I watched a young couple looking and handling the ball washer thing on the golf course across the street from my house. they saw me watching, and when i went out with the dog, they approached me and told me they were on a geocache. they said there'd probably be about 50 more people come by today. there is a notbook in a plastic baggie attached to the ballwasher, they sign and then move on to the next thing.

i think it sounds like fun, although in aruba, it would be difficult to drag my fat buttocks off the beach and off on this type of scavenger hunt.

disclosure: paul and i participate in scavenger hunts (hidden mickeys) at disney.

this kind of stuff is fun for many!!
So basically you play hide and seek with a gps. Think I will just snorkel and play golf.

Traceyd14
05-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I mentioned this to my husband as something we should like in to, more for at home than Aruba, but he wasn't too excited. He asked what you win and when I said nothing, he lost all interest. Thanks for sharing, I work in GIS and I am interested to see how many in my office already know about this and are doing it.

arubabob
05-03-2014, 10:55 PM
it is hugely popular here in the USA and in the UK.
the reason i posted here is because, this morning in the pouring rain I watched a young couple looking and handling the ball washer thing on the golf course across the street from my house. they saw me watching, and when i went out with the dog, they approached me and told me they were on a geocache. they said there'd probably be about 50 more people come by today. there is a notbook in a plastic baggie attached to the ballwasher, they sign and then move on to the next thing.

i think it sounds like fun, although in aruba, it would be difficult to drag my fat buttocks off the beach and off on this type of scavenger hunt.

disclosure: paul and i participate in scavenger hunts (hidden mickeys) at disney.

this kind of stuff is fun for many!!Probably not going to have to worry about pouring rain on Aruba.

Andrea J.
05-03-2014, 11:01 PM
from your mouth to God's ears bob!
Probably not going to have to worry about pouring rain on Aruba.

CPhT Nancy
05-05-2014, 08:22 PM
We will stick to GeoHashing!

AUA1989
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
My daughter started doing this last summer. At one point, we searched and searched around her softball field after a game where there was to be a geocache, but couldn't find anything. I go on the geocaching website, and it appears there are geocaches in Aruba. We will be there June 6-15, and I will report back if the kids partake.

AUA1989
05-06-2014, 09:13 AM
And on another note, the geocaching website gives interesting tidbits of info about Aruba and the geocache sites.