PDA

View Full Version : Palapa shade purchase

jg555
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Hello all,

We have a large group heading to the Surf Club in two weeks. Any recommendations on where to buy our own palapas/umbrellas?

Trying to avoid the mad rush to reserve them....

Thank you,

Jeff

bertho
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
All event number is first come .Have fun
we just got back .
ginette

Arubalisa
02-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Bringing or purchasing your own umbrellas is going to be difficult. The winds are just too strong to really hold an umbrella down safely.

chs4
02-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Bringing or purchasing your own umbrellas is going to be difficult. The winds are just too strong to really hold an umbrella down safely.

Ain't that the truth!

My parents are there now and since they rented a house and weren't sure which beach(es) they'd end up at, my father decided to bring along a portable "sunshade"-type umbrella. He emailed me the other day and said:

"You weren't kidding about the wind! Haven't even attempted to set up the sunshade...you'd need 36" stakes to hold it down. Afraid we'd be parasailing within a few minutes!"

Since you have such a large group I guess you can take turns getting up early. ;)

Arubalisa
02-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Since you have such a large group I guess you can take turns getting up early. ;)
Good idea! ;) :D

jg555
02-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys....

Everyone would just make me get up early.

Well aware of the wind though been coming to Aruba for 22 years (we bought our first timeshare on our honeymoon back then).

Was hopin to find a better quality stake in type I could purchase on the island, kinda like one that those rental places would dig a hole for you after you choose a spot.

Thanks again!

Jeff

TomFrederick
02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
>>> "where to buy our own palapas/umbrellas?"
----- Must be your first trip to Aruba. In the winds that you get in Aruba a normal palapas/umbrella would not last a half hour. Resorts usually sinks small telephone type poles in the sand and built palapas up from that. Usually using a wood frame roof with palm tree leaves as the roof. A umbrella that we in the States use on the beach would be sailing out to sea in a few minutes.
But that breeze is great as with it you do not feel the heat/humidity.

kapitan95
03-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Is there any other form of shade from the sun on the beach??? umbrellas maybe? Im travelling with a toddler and dont want to get down super early at the marriott or wait on line for a pallapas. We only spend 2-3 hours per day sitting at the beach so what are the other alternatives.

kapitan95
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
how would a cabana tent deal with the wind? I could fill it with weight(sandbags). they would be fairly easy to pack in a suitcase as they pop up and weigh 4 pounds.

EHampite
03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
how would a cabana tent deal with the wind? I could fill it with weight(sandbags). they would be fairly easy to pack in a suitcase as they pop up and weigh 4 pounds.

We thought we'd try the cabana, too. It lasted all of about 10 minutes! :doh: They are too flimsy and don't withstand the Aruba winds at all. Weighing it down wasn't the issue - the stakes held it into the ground no problem. The winds, however, blew against the top of the cabana so much, that it broke one of the supports! It ended up in the trash, and I'm sure we provided plenty of entertainment for the rest of the beach-goers that day!!

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif

stinky2
03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I am concerned about the amount of palapas or shade available at the various beaches. I wanted to know if anyone has ever purchased a pop up beach shelter and if so, what has been your experience with them?? Or has anyone seen them around in Aruba?

That Aruban sun has me really concerned, so I would like to explore this option. Also, would like to find a sturdy shelter to hold up to the strong wind.

Arubalisa
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/images/icons/icon2.gif
We thought we'd try the cabana, too. It lasted all of about 10 minutes! :doh: They are too flimsy and don't withstand the Aruba winds at all. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif :(

LaCabanaGirl
03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Might as well add my two cents in here. About 12 yrs ago my husband thought it would be nice to bring a little pop up tent to the beach also, I told him, its gonna blow away ha ha ha. Nahh, its not gonna go anywhere ha ha ha!!! Well he decided to cut holes in it so the wind would go thru it AAAHHHHHHHHH, yeah right, the wind went into it and lifted it up and away it flew ha ha ha ha!!!!!! It was a moment.

Andrea J.
03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
when those portable shelters become airborne it is very dangerous.
they are projectiles.
so unfunny..........and so dangerous.

Windy
03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
When we stayed a Bucuti there was never a problem getting a palapa at any time -- more palapas , less people! Last year, at the Holiday Inn, we didn't want to get up early! We usually did a little exploring in the morning, and then later when we went to the beach we usually found at least a spot under a palm tree, and eventually a palapa would free up and we'd take it over! :)

Randi
03-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I will do a proper trip report next week when I am home and will address the entire palapas situation at the Surf Club vis a vie the other resorts.

As far as shade goes, there are tons of "Bimini" chairs at the Surf Club that provide a great amount of shade. I think in my photo gallery I have pictures of the chairs. They have little roofs on them and are excellent. However, you can only use them behind the third row of palapas. They were getting too dangerous up front as the wind would carry them away and they took up far too much room.

The Bimini chairs are plentiful so you will have no issue getting a large number of them. If you are a large group, you are best off sitting more towards the back area where there is lots of room.

With respect to the tents, people bring them down in Christmas but this past year they have become very strict with their usage. Firstly, most of them do not survive the winds as many of you have written about. However, the government is now enforcing a rule that each "structure" must be taken down at night. At the Surf Club they had specific areas in which you could put them up and I think you also needed a permit but I am not certain on that point. Everyone got a letter in our room during the busy season that all of the tents had to removed by 6 pm daily.

TomFrederick
03-26-2011, 07:17 AM
>>>> "Im travelling with a toddler"
Over 15 years ago when our infant grandsons would come we would use their infant car seat. Could sleep with us of course under a hut. Also it was great to use waiting at airport and going out to dinner.

stinky2
03-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Any info on this subject would be great! I would really hate to spend money on a sun shelter now, and not be able to use it because the wind is too much, or be hassled because of the nature of it. We would never leave it behind, and would always disassemble before leaving the beach. I'm surprised to read that people actually left them up .I'm presently looking at shelters(ex. Eureka) that can be put up in just a couple of minutes. We would also be very conscientious of our neighbor's proximity and space. We first got the idea when we went to Kauai, and it's more so for future Hawaiian trips than anything. It's just that it sure would be nice to not worry about shade while in Aruba. We are staying at Oceania, but will be visiting several beaches.

I will do a proper trip report next week when I am home and will address the entire palapas situation at the Surf Club vis a vie the other resorts.

As far as shade goes, there are tons of "Bimini" chairs at the Surf Club that provide a great amount of shade. I think in my photo gallery I have pictures of the chairs. They have little roofs on them and are excellent. However, you can only use them behind the third row of palapas. They were getting too dangerous up front as the wind would carry them away and they took up far too much room.

The Bimini chairs are plentiful so you will have no issue getting a large number of them. If you are a large group, you are best off sitting more towards the back area where there is lots of room.

With respect to the tents, people bring them down in Christmas but this past year they have become very strict with their usage. Firstly, most of them do not survive the winds as many of you have written about. However, the government is now enforcing a rule that each "structure" must be taken down at night. At the Surf Club they had specific areas in which you could put them up and I think you also needed a permit but I am not certain on that point. Everyone got a letter in our room during the busy season that all of the tents had to removed by 6 pm daily.

Arubalisa
03-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Is this the model you are looking at?

http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/thumbPlus/eureka-solar-shade1.jpg

You are traveling the end of April/ beginning of May?

The above will surely not hold up to the wind.

April
Average wind speed 18 mph
Average maximum wind speed 34 mph

May
Average wind speed 19 mph
Average maximum wind speed 35 mph

We thought we'd try the cabana, too. It lasted all of about 10 minutes! :doh: They are too flimsy and don't withstand the Aruba winds at all. Weighing it down wasn't the issue - the stakes held it into the ground no problem. The winds, however, blew against the top of the cabana so much, that it broke one of the supports! It ended up in the trash, and I'm sure we provided plenty of entertainment for the rest of the beach-goers that day!!

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif

Must be your first trip to Aruba. In the winds that you get in Aruba a normal palapas/umbrella would not last a half hour.

stinky2
03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Exactly! That's the one.

Is this the model you are looking at?

http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/thumbPlus/eureka-solar-shade1.jpg

You are traveling the end of April/ beginning of May?

The above will surely not hold up to the wind.

April
Average wind speed 18 mph
Average maximum wind speed 34 mph

May
Average wind speed 19 mph
Average maximum wind speed 35 mph

EHampite
03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Our sun cabana was similar to the one pictured above, perhaps not quite as high. It truly lasted about 10 minutes in the wind before one of the supports snapped and it blew over.

If you're staying at Oceania, you should not have a problem securing a palapa across the street at Eagle Beach. We spend much of our beach time at Eagle and there always seems to be some empty ones available in front of Oceania.