PDA

View Full Version : food to pack from home

alphamom73
03-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Just wondering..........is there anything that I cannot bring into Aruba? We are a family of 6, so I am trying to bring lots of snacks for the kiddos.....pudding, jello, juice powder, poptarts, mac and cheese, PB, jelly, oatmeal etc. Can we bring a bottle of liquor?
We really want to eat breakfast/lunch and most of our dinners in house....... taking the kids away from the pool and beach, then making them wait for food is torture..........last year, one of us made the meal, called the kids up to eat, then on their way they went...........such a nice time.

What is the one thing to not forget when it comes to food?
Thanks!

Andrea J.
03-13-2008, 08:15 AM
doesn't sound like that you are forgetting anything:)

in past years, we always took a few staples just in case lings didn't have what we wanted or they had too large of a size that we needed.

still, i always cook a turkey breast prior to our trip. slice it for sandwiches and freeze it. same too with a small spiral ham. then we extra wrap it and toss it in our carry on and believe it or not it is still partially frozen when we arrive! we have our turkey and ham sandwiches while in aruba. we are pita bread eaters, and i buy a few packs of those and toss them in our carry on.

yes you can bring a bottle or 2 or liquor. wrap and cushion it carefully in your checked luggagge.

you cannot bring fresh produce into aruba
that being said, i have been known to bring in a couple of lemons, yes illegally.:o

Just wondering..........is there anything that I cannot bring into Aruba? We are a family of 6, so I am trying to bring lots of snacks for the kiddos.....pudding, jello, juice powder, poptarts, mac and cheese, PB, jelly, oatmeal etc. Can we bring a bottle of liquor?
We really want to eat breakfast/lunch and most of our dinners in house....... taking the kids away from the pool and beach, then making them wait for food is torture..........last year, one of us made the meal, called the kids up to eat, then on their way they went...........such a nice time.

What is the one thing to not forget when it comes to food?
Thanks!

cookie
03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
We will be leaivng this Sunday - can't wait! Besides fruit, are there any other foods you can't bring? I'm thinking of freezing bagels and butter and bringing them with us. Is that O.K.?

elisabeth_nj
03-13-2008, 11:06 AM
We will be leaivng this Sunday - can't wait! Besides fruit, are there any other foods you can't bring? I'm thinking of freezing bagels and butter and bringing them with us. Is that O.K.?
Yes that's fine! I also bring cans of Tuna. I happen to only like Bumble Bee and buy them when they are on sale and save them for our trip. I also bring boxes of Rice Pilaf (love the Far East brand), small boxes of biscuit or corn bread makings, easy mac, etc.

Andrea...Love the Pita idea...never thought of them, plus they don't weight much and you don't have to worry about them getting squished.

Have a great time Cookie (that's my sister's name, I love it) and alphamom

AuntieMame
03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe it's because I shop at Certified, but I don't find the prices in Aruba that much different from those here in NJ. Doesn't seem worth the bother to pack stuff up.

palmtre2
03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Maybe it's because I shop at Certified, but I don't find the prices in Aruba that much different from those here in NJ. Doesn't seem worth the bother to pack stuff up.

Auntie - I may have asked this before. It seems the closer we get the more I get so excited I can't remember anything. Where is Certified located???

EdnaSmith
03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
We don't bring anything with us anymore. It just doesn't pay as the supermarkets have everything we need and as Auntie Mame said, the prices are not that different especially at Certified.

Arubalisa
03-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Where is Certified located???
On LG Smith Blvd across from the old Bushiri
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.529806&lon=-70.050405&z=17&l=0&m=h&v=2 (http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.529806&lon=-70.050405&z=17&l=0&m=h&v=2)

Andrea J.
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
i pretty much agree with you about packing food. yrs ago when we were in aruba the first time, we needed to bring food.

the pita bread at certified, lings, and hong king is sold as frozen and i don't like it.

re: the pricing of everything............paul and i find that the grocery prices in aruba are maybe 20% higher than here in e. massachusetts

re: us bringing our turkey and ham. we do not like deli sliced turkey or ham and if i can do it at home and bring it frozen and home prepared i have no problem bringing a few items.

andrea

sunworshipperII
03-22-2009, 11:56 AM
I know I did this a few years back but don't know if things have changed.
We are staying at Marriott. I want to bring some food with me such as Calzones that are frozen, also frozen sauce & meatballs figure thats 2 nights in for dinner. Should I carry them on? What do you think has anyone else brought frozen food with them.

Arubalisa
03-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Bringing frozen meat to Aruba (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/bringing-frozen-meat-aruba-36323/?highlight=food+plane) A lot of good suggestions

danadog56
03-22-2009, 12:09 PM
One of the discussions recently was how meats were put in coolers frozens and then checked at the airport...made their way to Aruba with no problems that I remember reading....I know you can't bring fruit and veggies but I guess meat is allowed....I always bring condiments and balsamic vinegar and olive oil (among other things) and have never had a problem.

But, have heard their customs have been checking bags recently...anyone know if this has caused a problem...

danadog56
03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
oops, sorry Lisa, I just realized the color coded test meant to click on it for suggestions....it is Sunday and by brain is slower than usual !!!

sunworshipperII
03-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Lisa, I may just carry a small folding kind of cooler on,then I can just fold it up in suitcase coming home if I check it will have to pay 25.00 for other bag. What do you think

lancer
03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Can you bring food from home into Aruba? Such items as coldcuts, snacks etc. If so that would help us with our food bill.

BALTIMOREBILLY
03-22-2009, 02:22 PM
As far as I know you can.

Arubalisa
03-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Can you bring food from home into Aruba? Such items as coldcuts, snacks etc. If so that would help us with our food bill.
Bringing frozen meat to Aruba (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/bringing-frozen-meat-aruba-36323/?highlight=food+plane) A lot of good suggestions

cindyo
03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Lancer,
You would be amazed at the # of people at the airport with large coolers on wheels. They bring and check in as luggage all their food, beer, etc and pickup off the luggage belt. Its amazing to watch. I don't have that kind of energy for vacation, but others do. I prefer to hit Ling and sons to grocery shop. cindy

lancer
03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
We would be 8 people myself, hubby, our three children and three friends. As much as they would have to pay for their food I would like to help out. If I could provide breakfast and lunch everyday it would be a huge help. To be able to bring coldcuts is huge also some box snacks ie goldfish, popcorn cheeze-its. I would go food shopping there but I thought it would be a little cheaper to bring some things down. Wouldn't bring everything.

Andrea J.
03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
exactly!
why do a large grocery order in aruba if you can grab from your cupboards at home (and have room in your luggage) ?
i try to keep my aruba grocery list to certain essentials;
wine, milk, oj, butter, eggs and 1/2-1/2.

good idea to bring/buy as much breakfast, lunch and snack foods, since those are the things that really add up when bought on the run.

andrea

We would be 8 people myself, hubby, our three children and three friends. As much as they would have to pay for their food I would like to help out. If I could provide breakfast and lunch everyday it would be a huge help. To be able to bring coldcuts is huge also some box snacks ie goldfish, popcorn cheeze-its. I would go food shopping there but I thought it would be a little cheaper to bring some things down. Wouldn't bring everything.

cindyo
03-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Buy or pre-order the snacks at Ling and sons. You can order on line and have it dellivered. With that weight limit of 50 lbs, gold fish, snacks, etc fill it up fast.. Just suggesting of course...whatever you do you will enjoy it...i find things get smashed, and heck its once a year...oh well...:)

Cosmo
03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree with Cindyo, Ling and Sons has everything you need. You can by great fresh rolls everyday all around the island, Being in the sun all day you less than at home.

Arubalisa
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Buy or pre-order the snacks at Ling and sons. You can order on line and have it dellivered.
http://www.lingandsons.com/ling/home.do (http://www.lingandsons.com/ling/home.do)

Ling and Sons Online Shopping (http://www.lingandsons.com/ling/getListingItemList.do?entityId=1)

sunworshipperII
03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I will buy mostly everything at Ling but want to bring my own sauce and calzones only,

WAYNE
03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Jusy got back 2 long weeks ago .......we brought coldcuts and chips etc on the plane. We also packed some more in our luggage with freezer packs and had no problems. Everything was fine when we got there.

katherine
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I was considering ordering snacks, beverages and diapers from Ling and Sons to be delivered to the hotel, but I am noticing a limited number of items to choose from online. Mainly diapers are the problem, they claim they carry pampers in all sizes, but appear to only offer Huggies size 3 for ordering online. Is there a way to order items you need that are not listed? Also what is the delivery charge?

Capasso09
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I am going to Aruba on May 1st and staying in a condo. I want to pack an entire suitcase with non-perishable foods (cereal, snacks, chips, etc). Does anyone know if I will encounter any problems getting into Aruba? Thanks

Liz - Aruba Lover
03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
You will be fine bringing food into Aruba. I have a friend that brings in big boxes of food for her stay.

cindyo
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
As long as its checked in as luggage you SB ok.

angelone
03-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Last year we brought Pizza and Meatpie from home had a little problem in Boston no problem in Aruba but again that was last year.

cindyo
03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
We've know people that have packed frozen spaghetti sauce, meatballs, steaks, coldcut, beer, english muffins...I said b4, its fun watching the amount of boxes come off the belt that you know are food.. Way to much energy for me to do.

Arubalisa
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
frozen spaghetti sauce, meatballs, steaks,
I would make stuff ahead and freeze to bring for dinners so I didn't have to cook while there.

BUT we don't because neither of us wants to cook :o on vacation. :o

ladyg2u
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
saw the archive post put in the year 2009 does anyone who stays in aruba for a week bring food from home to cut down on food expese. frozen meats and condiments and maybe some alchol. trying to save money so I can bring back souverneirs.:cool:

New 2 Aruba

cindyo
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Lots and lots of people bring frozen food over. The airport is full of rolling coolers chuck full. As long as its checked in it shouldn't be a problem. Freeze away..

Arubalisa
04-03-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/packing%20food.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/packing%20food.html)
A lot of good suggestions

waltham
04-05-2009, 11:13 PM
My parents and their two friends stay for three weeks and they bring a ton of food, all frozen of course, they brings ribs, steaks, chicken, cold cuts...definitely worth it in terms of savings and if you're going to be there for more than a week it helps change things up when you don't want to go out. They have no trouble bringing it through the airport and they generally check the bag.

arubadebbi
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
For the past 4 yrs we have brought frozen food from home. We use fold up coolers - omaha steaks are vaccum sealed we bring a few steaks, hotdogs, 1/2 of a turkey breast and pack frozen juices to keep things nice and cold and we use the juices when mixing drinks. coolers fold nicely back into suitcases for the trip home. When we use to stay for 1 week we didn't bring food items but in recent years we have stayed for 2 weeks this year we are able to swing 3 weeks. we buy everything else at Ling's. either way you look at whether you bring food or not you are in Aruba and that is the most important thing!!

arubadebbi
04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
We also bring our own booze from home (not beer) we bring capt morgan, vodka; khalua, baileys (yes you got it MUDSLIDES :D) are our traditional start off Aruba - now don't forget I have the frozen juices with my food so I am alset for cocktails in my room and at night when we decide to just sit on our patio - and I would advise to bring some bug spray
I usually bring the bug wipes it is easier to travel with and I put some in my purse....I could go on but I am sure others will give their ideas as wel

beckybnott
04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Im telling you all inclusive is the way to go.... Just bring a 3lb. bag of peanut M&Ms for your chocolate fix, should last you about 3 weeks...

jontedkes
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone, new to the forum although have been reading your postings for a couple of months. We are visiting Aruba for the first time in 3 weeks (can't wait). I have been very interested in your discussion about bringing food into Aruba, but it seems most of you are from the US, and I wondered if there would be any different issues because we are from the UK. As far as I am aware, we cant take anything into the US from the UK, is it different in Aruba. We would like to bring some pre-packed cooked meats to try and save a few dollars (the exchange rate has plummeted since we booked!) but I don't want to break any rules. Any help would be appreciated,

Arubalisa
04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
We would like to bring some pre-packed cooked meats to try and save a few dollars (the exchange rate has plummeted since we booked!) but I don't want to break any rules. Any help would be appreciated,
Welcome to the forum. :)

In that you have such a long flight and are coming all the way from the UK, my only worry is keeping the meat cold enough that it would safe to eat upon arrival. I hate to hear of anyone getting food poisoning at home, nevermind while on vacation.

jontedkes
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

In that you have such a long flight and are coming all the way from the UK, my only worry is keeping the meat cold enough that it would safe to eat upon arrival. I hate to hear of anyone getting food poisoning at home, nevermind while on vacation.
Thanks for that. My idea is to freeze the pre-packs then pack them in a coolbag, so should be ok, the hold of the aicraft is cold, so hoping it would stay, at least, well chilled. It doesn't appear to be a problem, then, taking the foodstuffs in?

Arubalisa
04-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for that. My idea is to freeze the pre-packs then pack them in a coolbag, so should be ok, the hold of the aicraft is cold, so hoping it would stay, at least, well chilled. It doesn't appear to be a problem, then, taking the foodstuffs in?
Can you phone your airline? Not familiar with UK to Aruba flights. It is done from the US all of the time without a problem.

Blueeyes
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I am returning for my thrid trip to Aruba and will also be bringing food to help cut down on eating out so much. Has anyone ever packed those small boxes of milk like you can find at health food stores and if so, any problems?