PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Seafood Market

jojo777
04-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can buy fresh seafood other than the supermarket. Are there fish markets or plaes you can go to buy diretly from the fisherman.

dividivi
04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Go to the docks at Barcadera, past the airport toward Pos Chiquito. About 9Am and you should be able to purchase seafood from the area fisherman. Directions are here

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/barcadera-docks-5672/

jojo777
04-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Thank You!!

Retagger
01-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know if the fisherman still sell their fresh seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp, clams, mussels, etc.) at the Barcadera Docks?

I have never been there, but I want to try and get there. Do they sell the seafood that I have listed? What is the best time to get there? How are the prices compared to the supermarkets?

OR

Is there another place where the fisherman sell fresh seafood near the Palm Beach area?

Regards,

Eagle Beach Boy
01-11-2009, 05:54 AM
I was told by a local that down the street across from Wacky Wahoo is where he goes to get fresh seafood. I have not looked for it yet.

SanNic44
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
You can buy fresh fish at Zeerovers in Savaneta. Don't know about the other stuff.

~Amy~®
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
We used to get fresh shrimp at the Barcadera every year. We haven't gone now in a couple of years out of pure laziness. Not sure what else they had since we only went for shrimp. I think it kind of depended on the day - some days they'd have alot and some days just a little.

You do need to go in the morning around 9am.

The prices were a little cheaper than the grocery stores. Last couple of years we've bought fresh shrimp at Kong Hing and have been very pleased with it.

Schnauzerjoy
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
You can get it much closer to home. In Noord.

When you come from Tierra del Sol and take the main road towards Oranjestad you come to the traffic lights with the police station on your left. Just after the lights you have the church on your left and 50-100m ahead you have the guys on your right (under the tree).

(From Palm Beach, you drive inland at Wendy's and make a right at the traffic light/police).

No signs or anything, just a car or two and a table. Doesn't look too inviting at first but all the locals and Dutch locals say that it is great fish.
They bring fresh fish in everyday directly from the boats, so doesn't getter fresher than that.

(Charcoal Grill with some home made marinade and you will be in heaven). Let me know how it taste :D

Carsten

Retagger
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the information!

The stand that Carsten describes is in the immediate area of where I am building a home - Can't get any closer than that. I will be there next week and I will let you know about the freshness and quality of the fish.

Regards,

Musicman
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Greetings all...I will be making my first visist to Aruba in September and wondered if there is a fishing pier or a place to buy fresh-caught local seafood. I will be staying at one of the Divi Resorts. Thanks for any info.
Musicman

cindyo
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Greetings all...I will be making my first visist to Aruba in September and wondered if there is a fishing pier or a place to buy fresh-caught local seafood. I will be staying at one of the Divi Resorts. Thanks for any info.
Musicman

Waterfront Crab House-lobsters flown in from Boston...all other restaurants use local fish.

Andrea J.
05-20-2009, 02:17 PM
the fish counter at Lings and Sons has a great selection of grouper, snapper and wahoo and shrimp. all fresh all locally caught.

waterfront crabhouse to the best of my knowledge has their whole live lobster flown in from York and Wells area in Maine...........i have met the supplier, his name is Ed (forget his last name).
Ed and his wife are frequent week 32, 33 and 34 CDM aruba travelers.

then again, maybe waterfront crabhouse has changed suppliers and they now buy from Boston. but ed of maine had been the supplier for years and years.

i just found out that ed of maine died in october. (added at 7:25 pm)
andrea

Waterfront Crab House-lobsters flown in from Boston...all other restaurants use local fish.

cindyo
05-20-2009, 04:35 PM

Maybe I am wrong...but someone tols us that AA flies down the lobsters from boston...anyway, it doesn't matter, they're GOOOD no matter where they come from ( though, 2-3x the price at home)

YUM ! cindyo

Schnauzerjoy
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
You can get it "out of a truck" from local fishermen in Noord, close to the police station.
They are there most days with the catches of the day with their truck and table across from the graveyard.

There is also a pier in Savaneta where you can buy from the local fishermen almost every day.

Both these places requires a car/taxi to get to, but from Divi it is less than 10 minutes to the Noord location and maybe 20 min to the Savaneta location.

Good luck.

Musicman
05-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I appreciate the info! I plan on renting a car so a 10-20 minute drive is fantastic to find fresh caught same day fish.
Musicman

~Amy~®
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
There is also a pier in Savaneta where you can buy from the local fishermen almost every day.

Zeerovers for fresh fish (in Savaneta):

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/outoftown/aruba/savaneta/zeerover/20zeerover.jpg

http://www.island-temptations.com/images/fishermen_01.jpg

Musicman
05-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Now that looks like some fresh fish! Thanks, Amy!

kal0721
08-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Does anyone happen to know:

IS THERE A PLACE TO GO GET FISH AND SHRIMP FROM A FISHERMAN? ARE THERE ANY LINKS ON THE INTERNET? SPECIAL DAYS ONLY?

We are going to be cooking in a few days to save $. We are bringing frozen meat from home but thought grilling fresh fish there would be yummy.

ALSO- WE ASKED BEFORE BUT I AM CURIOUS IF ANYONE HAS RECENTLY BROUGHT FROZEN MEAT FROM HOME AND WHAT THEY BROUGHT IT IN? DID ANYONE USE DRY ICE?

THANK YOU FOR LETTING US KNOW

TIM AND KATHY

Tom and Karen
08-25-2009, 08:19 AM
We are taking frozen meat when we go in 2 weeks. This is the first time we have tried. The grocery store I purchased from is freezing them for us. Their freezer is set at - 40 F. I habe a styrofoam cooler that was previously used for shipping. As the steaks will be - 40, I do not plan on using dry ice. If flights go well, it will be 13 hours from the time we pick up the steaks until we arrive in Aruba.

As for fresh fish, the charter boats sometimes sell when they come in, usually after 11;00 AM. The going rate was about 18 AFL per kilo earlier this year. As for shrimp, they are getting harder to find. The grocery store carries them, but are quite expensive.

Where are you staying? We will be there when you arrive. Hopefully I will have more info then.

EHampite
08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Can someone please give directions to Zeerovers in Savaneta and what the best time would be to get there to buy fish? We would like to go there on our next trip. Thanks! :)

~Amy~®
08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Can someone please give directions to Zeerovers in Savaneta and what the best time would be to get there to buy fish? We would like to go there on our next trip. Thanks! :)

It's right before you get to Flying Fishbone.

EHampite
08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Amy! We'll have to check it out next time. :)

socalgirl
09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
we're staying at the marriott and would like fresh caught fish from locals. are any of these places near the marriott?

HotTamle
01-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I've been coming to Aruba for the last ten years and I've always shopped at Kong Hing for groceries. I'm headed back in March and I'd like to cook at home a few nights (staying in a house) but I'd still like to get really fresh seafood. Never really checked out the butcher department at Kong Hing, but is it fresh or is it imported? Does anyone know of a fresh seafood market? I figured I might as well eat as local/fresh as possible.

Arubalisa
01-11-2010, 12:18 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/fresh%20caught%20fish.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/fresh%20caught%20fish.html)

(http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/fishing%20pier.html)

Sunny Beaches
01-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Also, Zeerovers is a local fishermans bar,(Flying Fishbone area) catch of the day $8.00 a kilo!

cubella59
01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, thanks for the post Carsten. I will also be in Aruba next week as I just bought a home evidently not too far from where Retagger is building his. I'll be sure to check it out and report back. David, if you're in town, would love to meet you since we're neighbors. Feel free to send me a private message.

Retagger
01-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Hello Cubella,

I posted the above response over one year ago:)

My home is completed and we closed last March. We are you located?

Regards,

FFgoo
01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
when I was there last week I saw some local fishermen selling their catch on the pier at Moomba...dont remember that from last visits, but said to in-laws that next year we would have to try it...the prior day we saw them bring their catch in...their was a ton in their little wooden boat

Roeschlein
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Just wondering if there was a certain grocery store or fish market that I could buy fresh whole lobsters to bring back to our timeshare to cook. Also, would you know an approximate price per pound? We're staying down at the Aruba Marriott Surf Club. Thanks so much

Andrea J.
03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
have never seen fresh lobsters swimming in the tanks at any of the grocery stores.
if they did have them, i bet they would be over $20 apiece.

lizzardo
03-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Think of the 'travel route' a Maine lobster would have to take to get here.
In the restaurants they are expensive and not aware of any place to
find them. There are the 'rock lobsters' the ones with small claws and
big tails, but they are even hard to find.

The Ren pier used to have a restaurant with lobster tanks (across from the Cafe)
but they are out of business.

Sadly, Aruba is not a lobster island. But great local fish - including Mahi Mahi,
grouper, Wahoo and barracuda (yes - and it's wonderful).

ltdpt
03-07-2010, 06:25 AM
I remember seeing them in a tank at Don carlo's resturant on the peir downtown, marina area. not sure if you can buy them to take with you.

lizzardo
03-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I know that Ruth's Chris had lobster tails on their menu last time
I was there for $125 USD!! A little too pricey for my taste :)

rob o
03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Just wondering if there was a certain grocery store or fish market that I could buy fresh whole lobsters to bring back to our timeshare to cook. Also, would you know an approximate price per pound? We're staying down at the Aruba Marriott Surf Club. Thanks so much

Question - Not that I have an answer for you but you should clarify whether you are looking for Caribbean or Maine Lobsters. Huge difference (claws, taste).

If you're interested in Maine....you might be best off purchasing state side (they pack for air travel, and they're good for 24 hours).

Living in New England, lobster country, I leave my lobster craving at home and enjoy the local seafood.

dentistfisher
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Is there a dock or restaurant where you can buy fish to cook yourself? Preferably close to Playa Linda.
Thanks

Andrea J.
10-01-2010, 09:09 PM
there is also a great selection at LINGS and SUPERFOOD
we bought some fresh grouper with marinade and we put it in aluminum foil and baked it.
i would consider checking LINGS or SUPERFOOD if you cannot find what you want at the docks.

Cathey
06-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I know this is an old thread just hoping anyone has new or updated information.

I'm looking into buying fresh fish a few nights. I know Zeerover has shrimp and what the catch of the day is, I know they are still there. Are the Barcadera dock near Renaissance and the Hadicurari pier near Marriott/Holiday Inn still in existence? If so any idea of time the boats come in and what days. I'm also looking for Caribbean lobster to grill. Don't mind using Ling & Sons, but would much rather have fresh from the locals. Thanks all
Cathey

rob o
06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I remember seeing them in a tank at Don carlo's resturant on the peir downtown, marina area. not sure if you can buy them to take with you.

Don Carlo's "tanked" (it is not just closed, it's gone....demolished).

Andrea J.
06-30-2012, 09:25 AM
that post you are replying to, is about 2 yrs old.

Don Carlo's "tanked" (it is not just closed, it's gone....demolished).

rob o
06-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Ha Ha! Well, I was caught off guard because I got a "like" to an earlier post I had made. PS - Don Carlos hasn't been replaced yet, any idea what's happening there?

that post you are replying to, is about 2 yrs old.

Andrea J.
06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
while we were there in early/mid may, we saw workers, removing "stuff" from the property, steam cleaning the floors and walls and then painting.we were guessing that another restaurant was going in, but i have not heard anything to confirm that.

Ha Ha! Well, I was caught off guard because I got a "like" to an earlier post I had made. PS - Don Carlos hasn't been replaced yet, any idea what's happening there?

Arubalisa
07-29-2012, 10:15 AM
while we were there in early/mid may, we saw workers, removing "stuff" from the property, steam cleaning the floors and walls and then painting.we were guessing that another restaurant was going in, but i have not heard anything to confirm that.It is still in the same state.

Andrea J.
07-29-2012, 10:25 AM
thanks
It is still in the same state.