PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pool Construction

aquaman
05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi, I am planning on having a swimming pool installed at my vacation home in Aruba. I am curious and would like to hear from others their experience in doing this. I would like to know both good and bad. If possible, the approximate costs, availability of materials and labour, the length of time to build and so on. My property is in the Noord area.

Also, if you have a recommendation on a pool company I would like to know. I will be on the island June1-8 and will be meeting with contractors then.

Thanks

Aquaman

fordst63
05-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I am using Willys Pools on the island. I had checked a lot of other recources and polled several people on the island on this same subject. I am moving in my new home May 31st and will be there until June 8th. If would like you can come by my house and take a look first hand at their work and I can fill you in on what I know? Email me direct: steventford@insightbb.com
I am in Gold Coast Villas.

SanNic44
05-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Watapana Pool Service is also good. I'm going to have them build my pool later this year. They have a very nice woman who speaks more languages than I can count. They've done plenty of work in Tierra del Sol and have a fleet of service trucks about the island. Give them a call at a minimum. They are also located not far from you.

Mr Norman Paperman
05-17-2008, 07:01 AM
We had our building contractor install our pool. So far very satisfied. I know of several other homes on the island tht he is also installing pools for.
we did get a quotation from Willy's and according to my records it was 1300 florins per sq meter plus digging and electrical installation. Do not remember if this included pump house or not.This was in Nov. of 07 pricing.
You may also want to request that your pumps be wired for 220 volts s this may save a bit on your ELMAR Bill.
However I m looking for a pool service Co. Does Watapana offer pool maint. service.
We are receiving the keys to our home on May 25th
www.arubaholidayhouse.com (http://www.arubaholidayhouse.com)

aquaman
05-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I am also wanting to find out about others experience using Baumanite (?). I have been told by some locals that it is better to use this as opposed to interlocking for the pool decking. Others, however, are telling me that besause of the sun and heat it's life expectancy is very short...like around 2 years and then it needs replacement.

Can any speak from experience with this product??

Aquaman

SanNic44
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Watapana has maintenance service. Baumanite I don't know much about. It is stamped and colored concrete. I would think it would last longer than 2 years. But am not sure. Just remember, what you cover with concrete will be difficult to dig up if you ever have to.

tds-ken
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Willy's:D

Cheryl
06-14-2008, 10:32 AM
We've had Bomanite around the pool for 6 years - every two or 3 years, you need to power wash it and seal it. It still looks great!

purestone2004
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Just got back from our house in Aruba. Got 4 quotes for pool construction (Willys, Beach too Far, Crystal and Quality) went with Willys in the end. Everyone was about the same price roughly AFL50,000 all in except the electrical to the pump house. We do have solid rock ground where we are as can be seen by the pool being dug right next door so our excavation charge is quite high. We liked the experience that Willy's has and well Willy seemed like a nice guy. I am intrigued with the idea from Crystal of their pool system. Does anyone have any experience with the different pool types (salt, chlorine or the clear water one?)

aquaman
03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I am in the process of finally selecting a company to build a swimmimg pool at my villa in Aruba. It will be a rectangular 30mx9m pool and fairly silmple in design. I would be interested in tips and things to look out for/avoid from others who have been through this. I am currently looking at the following companies: Crystal Pools, Willys, H2O Pools. I would be interested to hear from others who have used any of these companies, or wish to recommend others. I will be on the island April 7th and meeting with representatives from companies. I hope to make the final decision while there and award the job.

Thank you

lizzardo
03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
PM me for more info....

Too complicated to address on the board

Schnauzerjoy
03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
30m x 9m is a HUGE pool. Are you sure about those measurements. This is about 30-50% of a normal plot in Aruba and bigger than many hotel pools ;-).
(100 foot x 30 foot). Lucky you, but if your measurements ARE right, I hope that you have factored in the evaporation of water as that bill alone will be HUGE in a pool like that.

The biggest of the companies you mentioned is by far Willy's Pool, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best.

They built my pool and I am ok happy with it.

Ongoing pool service is a different matter, that should be addressed in a different thread, but it is normally a good idea to get the pool service from the company that build the pool, at least in the years where you have a warranty. This way there will be no one else to blame if something is wrong.

Good luck with the project.

Carsten

aquaman
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. Added 1 too many 0 at the 3m level. Gave me a good chuckle though. I guess I could also ask them to raise my home and place it on floating pontoons in my 30m pool!!!! I seem to have strange issues with numerical items and Aruba. When I purchased and sent the money there to the notary, my bank called all sweaty asking when I was going to pickup the money!!! They insisted it had not been sent to the notary and demanded I go and get it. Boy, was I tempted. Oh, well

Thanks again

lizzardo
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Still can't get the "US" verses "Metric" thing down after 4 years. Don't EVER ask me for measurement in either - I am not good at it at all! So I share you pain! :)

Wernerjb
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I built a pool in Aruba and it was just finished a few days ago (finally). The company I hired was a disaster and quite rude in their behavior. Also, I did not get the amount of jets as well as the Diamond bright color which was specified in the contract. At the end they told me that the warranty would only apply if I used their weekly pool service to scare me to sign up with them.
Never again will I hire this company (not even for pool service) and rather look for the beach which is not very far (get the hint).
Stay well everybody and be careful out there.

elephant_guy
06-04-2009, 05:56 AM
I have recently had a similar disaster with a pool company on the island. The saga is still not over. They tried to insist on most of the money up front, misrepresented how much work had been completed and have been a complete nightmare to deal with from begining to end.

PM me for details if required...

lizzardo
06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
One hint about Aruba - NEVER give them much money up front and NEVER pay them everything until the job is finished to YOUR satisfaction. We have had construction guys who we used several times. Made the mistake once to pay them off when they asked - they had not finished yet but we had dealt with them in the past. Never saw them again... happens alot here.

Have heard horror stories about the beachy company and others.
Know that aqua man is happy (last I heard from him) with his pool
company...

Also if you need a guy to service your pool PM me. Very reliable.

aquaman
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, I am completely happy. All promises have been fully met!! Work has been done cleanly and on time.

If anyone wants more info please PM me.

( And NO. I don't own the company or have any relatives in it lol)

lizzardo
06-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I can vouch for Aquaman - I gave him the name of the people
who did our pool. I am also not associated with them either!
Wish I was - might have gotten a good discount :)

Wernerjb
07-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I hired a pool company to service my pool twice a week but I'm not happy. They miss spots when they vacuum the pool, the walk with their equipent throught my stome areas living trails instead of using the walk ways, etc. I'm not even sure they service my pool twice weekly since the are supposed to leave a report each time they come and sometimes I get only one report a week. There are other issues as well. One I send an e-mail to the compnay mentioning that the pool does not look clean and the reponse I got back was and I quote. "You have to hire a full time pool boy if you except the pool to be perfect".
Any suggestions with phone numbers would be helpful.
Also you can e-mail me at werner@postcardusa.com
Thanks

ITIE
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi Lizzardo & Aquaman,

Can you please send me the details of the company that built your pool. How long did it take?

Thank you for your help.

casaj
08-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I am in the process of finally selecting a company to build a swimmimg pool at my villa in Aruba. It will be a rectangular 30mx9m pool and fairly silmple in design. I would be interested in tips and things to look out for/avoid from others who have been through this. I am currently looking at the following companies: Crystal Pools, Willys, H2O Pools. I would be interested to hear from others who have used any of these companies, or wish to recommend others. I will be on the island April 7th and meeting with representatives from companies. I hope to make the final decision while there and award the job.

Thank you

Crystal Pools will be your first choice. They can also install an Eco-Smarte System, which keeps chlorine out of your pool. Healthier!

casaj
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Lizzardo & Aquaman,

Can you please send me the details of the company that built your pool. How long did it take?

Thank you for your help.

The concrete, once poured, has to cure for a minimum of 28 days, so it normally takes 2 months to complete a pool from the start of digging...........

casaj
08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I hired a pool company to service my pool twice a week but I'm not happy. They miss spots when they vacuum the pool, the walk with their equipent throught my stome areas living trails instead of using the walk ways, etc. I'm not even sure they service my pool twice weekly since the are supposed to leave a report each time they come and sometimes I get only one report a week. There are other issues as well. One I send an e-mail to the compnay mentioning that the pool does not look clean and the reponse I got back was and I quote. "You have to hire a full time pool boy if you except the pool to be perfect".
Any suggestions with phone numbers would be helpful.
Also you can e-mail me at werner@postcardusa.com
Thanks
Try Crystal Pools at : 587-0024

Tell them that if there are holidays during a week that they must make up for it and still come twice that week! Tell them you want notes left to know they've been there. A property mgr. comes in handy to check on things like this!

lizzardo
08-23-2009, 10:51 AM
You want to use H20 pools for construction. Have heard nothing but good things and aquaman was very pleased. Beware of all the others on the island - I can tell you such stories - from workers who leave the minute you leave your house to warranties that only apply if you use their company for weekly maintence. PM me for contact info for who does our daily pool maintence and the H20 pool guy.

garyiryna
08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
We are in the process at looking for property, and asked about pools. The advise from someone who lives in Aruba was Crystal pools are the most profesional.

ShaneUSA
10-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi my name is Shane and I need some info since I am new on the island:

I am looking for a reliable (I've heard a lot of horror stories...) swimming-pool builder since I just bought a property in Noord. Preferably one that also has a maintenance department.
Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance, gr,

Shane Collins

Andrea J.
10-09-2010, 10:14 AM
shane i am copying this and posting to the "moving to aruba category"

andrea

Hi my name is Shane and I need some info since I am new on the island:

I am looking for a reliable (I've heard a lot of horror stories...) swimming-pool builder since I just bought a property in Noord. Preferably one that also has a maintenance department.
Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance, gr,

Shane Collins

Andrea J.
10-09-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f34/swimming-pool-construction-31289/

check this link

andrea

cubella59
10-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Shane, you should PM Aquaman and Liz. They both used Tim Schmidt who owns H2O and were very pleased. I have interviewed Tim and will be using him when the time comes to build but I can't give you any first-hand experience like they can. Tell him Alicia from Koyari sent you his way.

H2O-Pools, Builders, Suppliers & Maintenance NV
Stadionweg 8
Oranjestad, Aruba
Tel./ Fax: #297-5825157 or 5830317
Cell: #297-5926208 or 7333623

lizzardo
10-10-2010, 09:19 AM
H2O pools is the best - PM me for info.

arubabarry
11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Hello all, just wanted to give you a heads up on Crystal pools, they are doing mine at the house and have had only positive results from the owner Tim and his staff. Price was fare with all the bells and whistles that are included:D

Tom and Stanley
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear that Crystal Pools does a good job. I will be looking to get a pool installed at my home next year. I will stop by their office and check out a price. Thank you. . .

Tom and Stanley

charles
01-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I have had lived in two island homes that had pools and built a lovely home in Shiribana that is currently for sale by the folks who bought it from me. In the first cases, I was involved with WILLY POOL and Never ever had a problem with any aspect of their construction, decking, water maintenance or anything else that has to do with the pool.
In the Shiribana home, I figured I could save a few bucks by giving some of the other guys a shot at it and BINGO! Everyone was less expensive than Willy. So I just chose the one I figured was going to give me the best service and the best construction deal.

WRONG - BOY WAS I WRONG.

I will not bad mouth the competitors to Willy (my company suffers that all the time and it is a horrid lowly thing to do), however I will say that WILLY POOL is a bit more expensive and a huge amount more dedicated to doing the job right. If I had to make a new pool and deck, it would be WILLY. Coming home to cracked decks and green pools is not what I look forward to.

Do the research at the companies and look at their equipment and ask for their track record listing. In retrospect, if I had done that, I would have realized it is a no-brainer and stuck with Willy.

Just a wet opinion

be well
charles

inparadise
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
as said before,
make your homework and study all local companies
We made a very costly error going with Beach too far, still paying for the error.

Wernerjb
12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
So I'm back shopping again for a new pool service since Willys Pool did not show up for over a week on my twice a week pool service.
The 2 excuses they use was the flat tire and not enough people. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Andrea J.
12-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Private message BillStellaR or Sugar
they both have the same pool company and i do know they are very happy with service!

poolexpertflorida
10-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Hello Aruba Forum

Please send me a list of pool contractors.

Thanx poolexpertflorida

Andrea J.
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
http://s2.arubayp.com/Aruba/Swimming-Pool-Contractors-Dealers-Designers
click above link for aruba yellow pages (pool contractors)
welcome to the aruba.com community forum

QUOTE=poolexpertflorida;234784]Hello Aruba Forum

Please send me a list of pool contractors.

Thanx poolexpertflorida[/QUOTE]

poolexpertflorida
10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Thank You .. so much ...

act1966
02-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Does anybody have any experience (build and maintenance) with Quality Pools? Thx.

lizzardo
03-03-2015, 11:13 AM
We used Tim who was great - H2O pools but he started to have health issues so not sure of the status. I know that Willy's pools is known to be most expensive. Not sure the quality matches the price.

act1966
03-03-2015, 12:35 PM
We used Tim who was great - H2O pools but he started to have health issues so not sure of the status. I know that Willy's pools is known to be most expensive. Not sure the quality matches the price.

Thanks, Lizzardo.