PDA

View Full Version : Aruban or Arubian

rob o
05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
OK....once and for all I need to know.....is it ARUBAN or ARUBIAN?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

:)

Mr. Ratt
05-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I think it depends on who you talk to on the island.
I've heard both.

Either way, it's paradise.

be well, brightest blessings

Mr. Ratt
www.heyoka-healing.com (http://www.heyoka-healing.com)

bishop
05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Both are used

ArubaSalsa
05-17-2008, 06:37 PM
It's definitively Aruban. Some people use Arubian but that's no good...

rob o
05-17-2008, 09:43 PM
From now on, I will use Aruban!

Cecile
05-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Rob- I have always said Aruban, but just to be sure I looked it up on wikipedia. It is Aruban

rob o
05-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Rob- I have always said Aruban, but just to be sure I looked it up on wikipedia. It is Aruban

I think it's official....but we'll wait for Arubalisa (AKA the Aruba Encyclopedia) to make it final.

Arubalisa
05-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I did not comment because I have never been given a definitive answer. :(

Either way, most peope I think would know who you are referring to. Whether or not which was proper or whether one would be insulted by use of the other term, I suppose is up to discussion.

Cecile, imho :o, "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit", is a good source of random info, but I think others would agree, that with anyone being able to edit it and say whatever they wish, you could write Aruban and I could write Arubian and well, you get the idea.

Andrea J.
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
i don't think it is a secret that all arubans are educated.

the term that i often wonder about is "locals". here in waterville maine, the folks HATE the term locals.

wondering how aruban residents feel about sometimes being referred to as locals?

andrea

I think it depends on who you talk to on the island.
I've heard both.
(shhh... between you and I, the more, shall I say, educated residents use Aruban).

Either way, it's paradise.

Mr. Ratt

DANNYO
05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Andrea,I was about to say the same thing,that the Aruban people are very educated:confused:

Cecile
05-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't know that about wikipedia. When I went to search and typed in Aruban, it came back with a bunch of stuff. When I typed in Arubian nothing came back at all. I'll find an encyclopaedia that you can't edit and see what happens.

Arubalisa
05-18-2008, 01:19 PM
the term that i often wonder about is "locals". here in waterville maine, the folks HATE the term locals.
andrea
:D LOL, when I lived at the Jersey shore we were honored :D to be called and known as locals! :)

The alternative is known as "bennies" :mad:, deriving from the word "benefit" in that they benefitied the economy. Sounds good right? :cool:

However, along with that came their behavior such as urinating in public, namely in people's yards, parking in people's driveways :eek: for prime beach access, leaving their trash all over the beach, so on and so forth. In essence, a "bennie" was an extremely derogatory term.

FWIW, I meant no offense to anyone who might think that I was implying that not all Arubans are educated and have removed that portion of my post.

Mr. Ratt
05-18-2008, 05:38 PM
"I meant no offense to anyone who might think that I was implying that not all Arubans are educated..."

I'd like to second that. I didn't mean to imply there was a lack of education on the island. All, and I do mean ALL of the people I have had the honour of associating with have been well and completely educated, some moreso than others. Even within the culture itself there are differences. But you can find that from one side of a city to another, different terms and colloquialisms for all manner of things.

(It certainly is difficult to keep from offending people hereabouts, isn't it?)

Nothing personal meant to anyone here, and if you are offended, sorry 'bout that.

be well, brightest of blessings

Mr. Ratt

And as for being called a "local", I don't think there's any such thing here in Toronto anymore. This place is just like the old C&W song...
Everyone from Toronto is from somewhere else.

rob o
05-18-2008, 07:11 PM
This is what I have to say about Arubans (note...I'm not using Arubians) being educated.... I've got a Masters degree and I'm sitting here on the internet dreaming with all of you about Aruba. It's chilly and rainy outside. In Aruba, I would bet it's dry and in the 80's. So...who's smarter?
Wish I was smart enough to figure out how to be an Aruban!

Edronenburg
05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi All:

All I can say is, "Welcome back, Arubalisa," she is the best authority on almost all subjects that need research on the Site.

Arubalisa
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi All:
All I can say is, "Welcome back, Arubalisa," she is the best authority on almost all subjects that need research on the Site.
You are much too kind. http://www.arubabound.com/images/blushing.gif

cindyo
05-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi All:

Hey lisa, where did you go ?

Mr. Ratt
05-19-2008, 10:42 AM
" Wish I was smart enough to figure out how to be an Aruban! "

Me too!!!!

I'm with you on that 100%.
And, from me too, welcome back Arubalisa....
Where you been?

Mr. Ratt

Arubalisa
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey lisa, where did you go ?
;)

And, from me too, welcome back Arubalisa....Where you been?
Mr. Ratt

:D ;) :) Making $$$ to splurge on some luxuries the next trip! :plane::D So far we have reserved the Jolly Pirates lunch sail (for dd), Island helicopter tour (for me ;)) and dh is gathering his books. Though he will be working during our upcoming trip :(, he will still have time to read a book a day. :cool: We are also planning some dinners off of the Tamarijn property. Just made a ressie at Passions this a.m. for our anniversary. :)

marc
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
OK....once and for all I need to know.....is it ARUBAN or ARUBIAN?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

:)

In aruba its ARUBIANO

marc
05-19-2008, 07:01 PM
IN Aruba we say ARUBIANO