PDA

View Full Version : Best sunset sail?

Zilgags
07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Any recommendations?

I'm looking at the Mi Dushi since we'd like to do something Wednesday evening.

Zil

cindyo
07-27-2008, 08:52 PM
We LOVED the depalm boat, the Palm Pleasure, for the sunset cruise. Open bar and munchies.....Its a l00 ft catamaran.

danadog56
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Cindyo, Thanks, we may do that...every year we say we will try a sunset cruise, but never got around to it....we always watch from the beach and think it would be nice,,,,but now that you.ve confirmed it I think I will try it...plus of course the open bar and munchies helped....:p:D:cool:

Retagger
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I will be on the island in September along with my family. (This will be my mother's first airplane flight ever and the last time my father was on an airplane was in the Korean War).

We are coming to Aruba to celebrate my father's 80th birthday and also to check on the progress of our home construction. We are looking for a sunset sail that would accommodate seniors. I need to find a sailboat that is easy to board with comfortable seating. My father can walk fine but tires fairly easy. There will be a group of eight family members.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,
David

cindyo
08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Well I normally would suggest the depalm boat, however, in this case I an un-suggesting it. It is not elderly friendly, no much seating, and more of a "young" type of crowd. There is however, seating under the canopy cover at picnic type tables. Youcan stand un easily there, and sit....but IMOP....this isn't for you....cindyo

Arubalisa
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, unfortunately I am unable to think of one either. We had the same considerations with my grandmother. Either way, regardless which vendor on Palm Beach that you use, you must be able to walk from the street towards the beach and across at least a small portion of sand. None of this takes into consideration getting from the transfer vessel or dock onto the boat itself.

arubaness
08-18-2008, 04:32 PM
couldn't you charter a boat? i remember seeing ads for the private fishing expeditions - thus, i'm sure they have private cruises.

Arubalisa
08-18-2008, 07:13 PM
couldn't you charter a boat? i remember seeing ads for the private fishing expeditions - thus, i'm sure they have private cruises.I too was wondering the same thing. Pehaps something like http://www.morningstararuba.com/ (http://www.morningstararuba.com/) could pick you up at the docks at the marina in Oranjestad. Maybe that is where they keep their boat. :confused:

Retagger
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Thank you Arubalisa for the information on the Morning Star - they seem to be my favorite thus far.

Regards,
David

New Jersey Mike
09-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I have to suggest Tranquilo, http://www.tranquiloaruba.com/
the boat is a 43ft monohull. I thing for what you are looking for it's perfect. Although I have never been on the boat or had the opportunity to meet Captain Tony, I am sure he could more easily accommodate your needs. Ask that he picks you up at the dock. It would be easy for him to sail the boat flat or with just bit of heal (tilt). It will be a more intimate experience then the Bigger cats.

The price may be a little more then the catamaran but is the moment and evening not the party that I expect is more important.

Cheers,
Mike

suebee329
07-09-2012, 09:14 AM
When they say "romantic sunset" sail, can this still
Be a ride that a family would go on? I am looking for a rude that my 2 15 year olds can join and not feel it is too much of a party boat, but not all romance. I don't think we would snorkel so I thought a sunset cruise would be perfect!

Andrea J.
07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.depalmtours.com/palm-pleasure-sunset-sail

i do not know your 15 yr olds, but imo i think they might be bored with it.
yes the sunset is nice, but would they rather be doing something else?
and the adults do the sail?

so, yes see above ink for depalm's sunset sail

jolly pirate might be a better take for a family!!

maybe someone else can give your a different opinion than mine.

QUOTE=suebee329;228821]When they say "romantic sunset" sail, can this still
Be a ride that a family would go on? I am looking for a rude that my 2 15 year olds can join and not feel it is too much of a party boat, but not all romance. I don't think we would snorkel so I thought a sunset cruise would be perfect![/QUOTE]

suebee329
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I think you are right, Andrea! I just looked at their website and they have a sunset cruise which is a bit more fun vs romantic. Thank you for the suggestion!

jbrid23456
07-09-2012, 12:35 PM
We always enjoyed Pelican adventures sunset sail. This was especially convenient if you are staying anywhere near Playa Linda or the Holiday Inn since their dock is right there. Also if you have the Visit Aruba discount card, you get 15% off. :)

suebee329
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Is is good for 15 year old? Where do you get the discount card?

ChrisinStl
07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Blue melody/black pearl

One of best on the island, a TOTAL relaxing trip. BUt you better book fast, they sell out quickly. 5months in advanced on most dates. Trust me, we tried way too late. Bummer, but it is what it is, early bird gets the worm, my slackerness loses out.

Andrea J.
07-09-2012, 04:56 PM
www.visitaruba.com
for the discount card
owned and managed by carib media marketing and not affiliated with aruba tourism authority

QUOTE=suebee329;228883]Is is good for 15 year old? Where do you get the discount card?[/QUOTE]

jbrid23456
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I think sunset sails are good for any age. It is a beautiful thing to do before dinner
The music is usually good and the crew is friendly.

sbatjc
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't mean to take this in another direction but I was wondering if anyone who gets motion sickness has been on one. Is it pretty shaky on the boat? I would love to do one!!

Andrea J.
07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
sometimes the swells are pretty good.
other times flat calm
mother nature is tricky
i got very seasick on jolly pirate once.......to the point where i would not get back on after snorkeling.....long story, but i got back to my timeshare via 4 wheels hahahahahaha:o

I don't mean to take this in another direction but I was wondering if anyone who gets motion sickness has been on one. Is it pretty shaky on the boat? I would love to do one!!

sbatjc
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
sometimes the swells are pretty good.
other times flat calm
mother nature is tricky
i got very seasick on jolly pirate once.......to the point where i would not get back on after snorkeling.....long story, but i got back to my timeshare via 4 wheels hahahahahaha:o

hahaha thats a memory for sure!!!!! Thats what I am afraid of... I think it would be amazing to see the sunset out there, but I don't think I will risk it!!

jbrid23456
07-10-2012, 01:16 PM
The large catamarans ride pretty smoothly.

Shnyda
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM

I took my mom out on the Red Sail Catamaran and she had no issues. My mom is notorious for getting seasick and I was worried. The water was pretty calm that day and the boat handled very well!

corona
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I've gone on Blue Melody/Black Pearl three times, and it's been smooth as glass sailing each time (twice in the spring and once in the summer). My husband, youngest son, and I are all prone to motion sickness, and we had absolutely no problem. We ate the fantastic sandwiches and drank their lovely signature drink and enjoyed snorkeling too. The sunset sail we took only goes up and down the coast from Palm Beach toward the direction of the light house.

sandy
07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
We did the Jolly Pirates sunset sail about a month ago, and it was wonderful. Beautiful weather, good drinks, great crowd. The sunset was fantastic, and complimented nicely by the fun music. Made my trip that I got picked for the piggyback flip too, so I am totally and completely biased!

Andrea J.
07-10-2012, 07:05 PM
you are BRAVE!!

bet it was a blast

suebee329
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Now some reviews I have read make the Jolly Pirate sound like a spring break event..I am questioning whether I should look for something different for my 15 year old girls...I guess I will find out tomorrow!!!!!! Woo hoo...finally!

sandy
07-11-2012, 08:15 AM
When I have been on Jolly Pirates, the group was a diverse mix of ages. The sunset sail had almost no kids (my 2 were the only ones), and I would guess 50% under age 40, 50% over. Everyone behaved themselves quite well, although you cannot control who will be on your sailing. Really was a fun time. Totally loved the flip Andrea, you are right! I couldn't keep my eyes open though!

Boonie
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Andrea J.;228825]http://www.depalmtours.com/palm-pleasure-sunset-sail

QUOTE]

How is the dinner cruise? Is the food good?

Andrea J.
07-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I do not know.

i'll have to hit the search button and look for depalm dinner cruises and see if there are any reviews.
[QUOTE=Andrea J.;228825]http://www.depalmtours.com/palm-pleasure-sunset-sail

QUOTE]

How is the dinner cruise? Is the food good?