PDA

View Full Version : Boston owned bars???

TommyJr79
07-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I was told in the past that their are a few bars in aruba owned by migrating Bostonians. I know the Black His or was owned by someone from boston, but does anyone else know of any others? I believe one of the ones I heard about was at/near palm beach and was adorned with police patches from all over. I have never found it in my three trips. Any info would be appreciated

cindyo
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry, I have no idea of any....and I think we would know....You're not thinking of Champions are you ???? That certainly is a boston hang out.

Tom and Karen
07-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I believe that the original owners of Alfredo's Resturant were from Boston. Not totally sure.

Andrea J.
07-28-2008, 06:50 PM
the original owners were from springfield , ma
it has changed ownership a number of times since those owners "owned".
re: alfredos
i have always liked alfredos and think that their chicken/sausage and ziti dish is outstanding.
the food has not changed much over the years, but the prices have gone up a bit.

tom and karen since you are frequent aruba travelers, where do you go for italian when in aruba?

andrea

I believe that the original owners of Alfredo's Resturant were from Boston. Not totally sure.

danadog56
07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Andrea,
Have been to Alfredo's---did not enjoy the food at all, however my husband's meal was good...guess I just chose wrong....
My favorite Italian place is Sole Mare....the big round parmesan bowl that they put the pasta is is awsome !!!
Went to Hostaria de Vittorio once and fell in love with the shrimp dishes and went back the second year and the food was lousy...don't know if the chef was changed or what, but at least at Sole Mare the food is always consistent and always good.........any suggestions on good Italian restaurants will be gladly accepted...

~Amy~®
07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Wasn't Tom, the owner of Avallone's, from Boston? Of course, Avallone's is closed now.....:(

TommyJr79
07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I appreciate all your help. My fiancee and I recently returned from Washington DC and found yet another boston bar down there. I was looking into it to see if there were any that I missed in my trips down. We have a large group from the boston area attending our wedding in aruba in October, and thought it would be fun to find one.

dmv69
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Wasn't Tom, the owner of Avallone's, from Boston? Of course, Avallone's is closed now.....:(

No he is from NEW YORK

cthcarol
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Isn't the guy who runs Smokey Joe's from Boston? or maybe, its his dad.

dmv69
08-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Dont know about the guy from Smokey Joe's-

Andrea J.
08-14-2008, 08:26 AM
one of our members "jolly" originates from north suburban boston and may know the answers to these questions

i will pm her and ask her to reply on this thread about the restaurants/bars ownership

andrea

kbdiadora
08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Isn't the guy who runs Smokey Joe's from Boston? or maybe, its his dad.

The guy that owns Smokey Joe's used to live in Boston and went to school up here...well there.....our last trip down there we met him and a friend of his at a pier bar and then met up with him the next night at his restaurant - lots of Boston stuff all around the place - it was fun and he was great.

ensjr
09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
What about the place called "charlie's" with all the driver's licenses on the walls? Where is the owner from?

~Amy~®
09-02-2008, 09:03 PM
What about the place called "charlie's" with all the driver's licenses on the walls? Where is the owner from?

Charlie Sr. was born in Holland and Charlie Jr. was born and raised in Aruba.

johnyboston
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
i am from boston and i am the man

cindyo
09-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Ok johny, what do you own??? We are die-hard boston fans/residents and WANT to visit you....40 of us...

NealNearNorth
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
The entertainer at Sopranos a few times a year is "Barry From Boston", so no misunderstanding about his home town there. He returns for November '08. You'll find Bostonians and Red Sox caps everywhere on the island.

Alfredo's is attached to a big mini golf/go kart place, and is not thought to be among the better Italian options on the island by locals. Tourists in the nearby low rises are their bread and butter. There are so many better Italian places in the high rises, that you don't really see that crowd visiting Alfredo's.

KATH2ME
02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
like what is the name of them ?

scott
02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
smokey joes is right across the street from the plya linda with a nice happy hour redsox stuff every where and police patches on the wall

Mr. Ratt
02-18-2010, 07:57 AM
"...Alfredo's is attached to a big mini golf/go kart place...", that unfortunately went up in flames a few months ago, so you can likely pass on trying to find this one.

As mentioned, it was part of the Black Hog Saloon/Adventure Mini-Golf complex.
Some of us will miss it, some won't. I know I will.

Cris
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Lookin to rock the NY Yankee gear in these Bahston Bahrs...

cukiecutr
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Steven owns Smokey Joe's. I believe he is originally from New Hampshire. He ran for Red Sox Nation president a few years ago. It is a great place to go watch the Red Sox. When were there, they were palying the Yankees and he would shut the tv when anyone cheered for the Yankees....it was all pretty humourous. Great drinks.....like the Green Monster.....We are looking forward to seeing him this summer. He was off island when we were there last. They also have great food. We love it since we are from Boston.