PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the northeast

Chelle
12-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Everybody,

It's been quite awhile since I've been on. Hope everyone is staying safe with the newest storm that has hit New England today. It started snowing here in Hartford, CT a little over an hour ago & we've got about an inch on the ground. Calling for anywhere between 8-14" by the time it's done :eek::eek::eek:

arubamark
12-19-2008, 03:09 PM
we are missing the snow by only a few miles, mostly rain now in central Jersey. There is another storm in affect for x-mas eve.

rob o
12-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Snowing like crazy here in Rhode Island.....got the snow blower ready, the generator too....and, most importantly....a drink I never have in Aruba....plenty of blackberry brandy....fuel for snow removal!

Chelle
12-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Have approx 6" already & still coming down strong. Just had some "snow thunder". CRAZY !!!!! We've got the snow blower up and ready to go too. J├Ągermeister fuels our snow blowing :) Stay safe & dry Rob & Cindy

rob o
12-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks Chelle.....you be well, too.

I think its brandy tonight and snowblowing tomorrow. We've got three movie rentals plus, the Celtics are on tonight.

PS - "Jager" sounds good...

DANNYO
12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Got about 6-7 inches here in NJ.had a problem with my snowblower only one side is working.Don't know how to fix it so I guess i will only use the one side till I get it fixed.:(

rob o
12-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Got about 6-7 inches here in NJ.had a problem with my snowblower only one side is working.Don't know how to fix it so I guess i will only use the one side till I get it fixed.:(

You broke a shear pin. Its a "pin" that connects the snowblower auger to the shaft. When it breaks, the shaft spins....the auger doesn't.

It's designed to do that...it protects the engine and drive train from severe damage in the event you hit something (curb, ice). A cheap, 5 minute fix. Buy a bunch and keep them on hand.

kthy66
12-19-2008, 08:05 PM
UGH! 8 inches and still snowing...
Im gonna just sit back and daydream about where I was at this time last week! :D

DANNYO
12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
You broke a shear pin. Its a "pin" that connects the snowblower auger to the shaft. When it breaks, the shaft spins....the auger doesn't.

It's designed to do that...it protects the engine and drive train from severe damage in the event you hit something (curb, ice). A cheap, 5 minute fix. Buy a bunch and keep them on hand.
I bought the snowblower at Sears,will they have the shear pins? I guess they will be able to show me how they go on.
Thanks Rob.

rob o
12-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I bought the snowblower at Sears,will they have the shear pins? I guess they will be able to show me how they go on.
Thanks Rob.

Mine is Sears also....unfortunately, there is no standard size. Make sure you take your model number, or, even better, your owner's manual to the store. A couple of years ago the local store didn't have the right one for me so I had to mail order.

If you can't find your owner's manual, try on-line.

They're very easy to install. Good luck.

PS...my snowblower came with two spare shear pins, they were in a little black plastic box mounted on the body of the snowblower. It's worth looking!

DANNYO
12-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Mine is Sears also....unfortunately, there is no standard size. Make sure you take your model number, or, even better, your owner's manual to the store. A couple of years ago the local store didn't have the right one for me so I had to mail order.

If you can't find your owner's manual, try on-line.

They're very easy to install. Good luck.

PS...my snowblower came with two spare shear pins, they were in a little black plastic box mounted on the body of the snowblower. It's worth looking!:doh:I spoke to a guy at work and he said the same thing.I went to Sears anyway on my way home from work,they had them so I picked up a pack.When I got home SURE ENOUGH the black box that I never saw had two of them in.It took about five seconds after I found the hole.Thanks Again

rob o
12-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Danny O....glad it all worked out for you.

Who ever thought "snowblower repair" would be a topic on aruba.com?

DANNYO
12-20-2008, 06:51 PM
:doh:
Danny O....glad it all worked out for you.

Who ever thought "snowblower repair" would be a topic on aruba.com?:doh:Its got to be an O thing.:doh:

danadog56
12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
wow you guys.....I live close to Pittsburgh and have been missed by the SnowMan.....hopefully it will last although I know that's a pipe dream....may get through December, but January will get me one way or another...
PS...my idea of removing snow is watching my husband on the tractor from the warm kitchen....<teeheehee>

Andrea J.
12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
blizzard warnings for central and northern maine and northern nh tomorrow dec 21
:(
i want to go to aruba NOW
andrea

Andrea J.
12-20-2008, 09:49 PM
i cannot complain because i moved here willingly.:doh:
what a freaking fool i am.
andrea j

Sunday: Periods of snow and areas of blowing snow, mainly after 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Wind chill values as low as -5. North wind between 7 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Periods of snow and areas of blowing snow, mainly before 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. Blustery, with a north wind between 15 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Monday: Areas of blowing snow and a chance of snow before 1pm, then areas of blowing snow after 1pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 25. West wind between 15 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
:eek:
andrea

rob o
12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
i cannot complain because i moved here willingly.:doh:
what a freaking fool i am.
andrea j

Don't feel so bad.....look at what you would have to face if you were in Aruba tomorrow!

Clouds and sunshine with the possibility of a scattered shower during the afternoon. High 86F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.

rob o
12-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Andrea J....Christmas or not....I hate winter....I hate looking out the window and seeing all the snow....I hate the cold.

I want to start a poll but I don't know how. This is my question:

Do you love Aruba weather because (pick one)
A. It's reliable, it's georgeous, it's perfect
B. It's OK, but it's perfect compared to where I live

DANNYO
12-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Andrea J....Christmas or not....I hate winter....I hate looking out the window and seeing all the snow....I hate the cold.

I want to start a poll but I don't know how. This is my question:

Do you love Aruba weather because (pick one)
A. It's reliable, it's gorgeous, it's perfect
B. It's OK, but it's perfect compared to where I live
I will be the first to vote A....We got another three inches of WET snow.:)...GLAD MY SNOWBLOWER WORKS...:)..

rob o
12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I will be the first to vote A....We got another three inches of WET snow.:)...GLAD MY SNOWBLOWER WORKS...:)..

;)

I think "A".....but, this weekend could be "B". God it was/is awful out.

Chelle
12-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Have to agree with ya Cindy & Rob......... "A" could be the answer, but right now it most definently is "B". We are at 17 degrees and flash freeze warnings for overnite. We are soooo ready for summer. We unfortunately will not be in Aruba this year. Going to Naples & Orlando FL for 8 days in less than a month :D

Be safe and warm everyone. We have family in NH and they are still without power. 10 days and counting, they have noo clue when it's coming back on.

Andrea J.
12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
creating a poll

create a new thread
scroll down on that "new thread page"
there is polling info/options right there!

my suggestion for polling ;)
Aruba weather is:
USUALLY sunny and reliable
Typically sunny and reliable
Better than snow, ice, biting wind
all of the above

btw, I-95 here in the waterville area is CLOSED
cars are off the roads, the

we have approx 18" blowing/drifting snow and the weather folks on the tv are calling it not only blizzard, but thunder snow.

poor Belle is doing her business right outside on the back porch where we shoveled a little path for her.

poor Boots is having great difficulty manuevering the deep snow....he likes to do his business in "private" and makes his way to the far northeast corner of the property, paul plowed a small path for him to get to his "bathroom"

dear son is snowbound in fairfield

so this is fun to watch, from the confines of my living room
andrea

cindyo
12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
I hate the freaking snow..its not pretty, its not fun, its horrible to be cold

Andrea J.
12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
i agree cindy
i would rather be HOT than cold
cold is painful

Arubalisa
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
You all have my deepest sympathies. :o :D

Pushing a snow blower or riding a snow tractor are much tougher than applying suntan lotion liberally multiple times per day. :p ;)

Nice to see you posting Michelle. Hope all is well with you and yours.

arubamark
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I think if it's going to be cold let it snow. I barely ever get any snow being so close to the shore the ocean water temps play games with the weather. We have only had a few really cold days. It's been averaging 45 degress. Basically half the temp thats in Aruba! Now I'm depressed.:(

EHampite
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Nooooooo, no snow!!! While I don't like the cold, I REALLY don't like the snow!!! :( And it's headed our way tomorrow night. We leave for Aruba out of Boston early Wednesday morning ... if this storm holds us hostage and doesn't let us leave, I'll freak!!! :eek:

rob o
01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Nooooooo, no snow!!! While I don't like the cold, I REALLY don't like the snow!!! :( And it's headed our way tomorrow night. We leave for Aruba out of Boston early Wednesday morning ... if this storm holds us hostage and doesn't let us leave, I'll freak!!! :eek:

Best of luck....hope you get out on time....what airline are you flying?

One thing to remember about New England forecasts....they usually make it sound worse than it turns out.

EHampite
01-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks, Rob O. We're flying USAir through Philly leaving at 5:30 a.m. Wed. I have been glued to the weather reports and watching the hour-by-hour forecasts. We are driving from Western Mass, originally planning to leave around 2:00 a.m. May have to change the plans and leave a bit earlier as snow is expected to start here around 11p or 12a!!! :eek: Our connection time in Philly is very short, so our flight from Boston has to leave on time ... ahhh the stress of traveling from the Northeast in the winter! :rolleyes: But it will be well worth it once we touch down in paradise! :D

Oh how I HATE the snow. But you're right ... they do generally make it sound worse than it really is. Let's hope that's the case this time!

rob o
01-06-2009, 06:19 AM
EHampite - We'll keep our fingers crossed for you and look forward to seeing your post from Aruba declaring a safe and timely arrival.

Did you ever consider one of the hotels near Logan that offer free parking for a week if you stay overnight before departure? Just a thought....not sure how long you'll be away.

Chelle
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Lisa, glad to be back:D The family is doing well :thumb: Happy to hear you and yours had a wonderful Christmas & New Years :)

I'm praying that all we get tomorrow is a 90 minute delay for school. But I have that gut feeling tomorrow's gonna be nasty :(

Can't wait to get on that beach in Florida :behappy:

Andrea J.
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
our flight to aruba is on thurs 8th from boston (hopefully weather will cooperate)

we are doing the park sleep fly thing at a marriott courtyard in s boston $169 plus tax includes parking! for 2 wks

and due to the weather SNOW coming, we are driving down a day earlier (this afternoon) to avoid the snow and ice and addidng 1 more day to the marriott courtyard for $100

we do not want to make the trek on wednesday in the snow........200 miles on I95 is not a pleasant thought in the snow.

will be online later from boston

kthy66
01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Good idea getting over there early Andrea. Sounds like its gonna be messy tomorrow. :(
Hope you have a wonderful trip ! :behappy:

Arubalisa
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
You all have my deepest sympathies. :o :D
65 degrees but showery here in HOTlanta today. ;) :p

Thanks Lisa, glad to be back:D Can't wait to get on that beach in Florida :behappy:
Do enjoy! I just know it is well deserved. ;) :)

and due to the weather SNOW coming, we are driving down a day earlier (this afternoon) to avoid the snow and ice
Be SAFE and ENJOY! :D

Jarubian
01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Enjoy Andrea, and 40 here in Sunny CAL

Chelle
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hope you guys got to Boston safe & hopefully the weather doesn't stop your plane from going out on Thursday.

It's 30 and cloudy in Hartford :(

monewcamp
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Andrea
Hoping you have a safe/easy drive to Boston and fly out on time!!
Enjoy!
Maureen

EHampite
01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
EHampite - We'll keep our fingers crossed for you and look forward to seeing your post from Aruba declaring a safe and timely arrival.

Did you ever consider one of the hotels near Logan that offer free parking for a week if you stay overnight before departure? Just a thought....not sure how long you'll be away.

Thanks, Rob O - I will try and post our experience upon arrival.

We actually did consider doing a park sleep fly package, but ended up just pre-booking parking at Embassy Suites (parking only, no room). I now wish I had booked the room! It's about a 2-hr ride for us normally to get to Logan, but the flights out of Boston were so much cheaper than flying out of Hartford which is only about a 35 minute drive!

We'll have to rethink our future winter travel plans and play it safe next time!

Thanks again for your good thoughts, and we will hope for the best!

Arubalisa
01-06-2009, 08:22 PM
65 degrees but showery here in HOTlanta today. ;) :p
I had it coming! :o :cool: :doh:

We just got our power back after two hours without. :( Downed tree on a power line after the winds picked up following the heavy rain. :rolleyes: Lived in NJ 39 years and only lost power maybe once every ten years...here in the stix we lose power at least every couple of months...

Dh like the trooper he is continued cooking dinner via flashlight and candlelight.

Dd said dinner was so romantic with just candlelight, "we never did it before". Little does she know dh and I used to have them at least once a month before she came along. ;) :D

Safe travels to those driving in rotten weather. :(

arubamark
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
our flight to aruba is on thurs 8th from boston (hopefully weather will cooperate)

we are doing the park sleep fly thing at a marriott courtyard in s boston $169 plus tax includes parking! for 2 wks

and due to the weather SNOW coming, we are driving down a day earlier (this afternoon) to avoid the snow and ice and addidng 1 more day to the marriott courtyard for $100

we do not want to make the trek on wednesday in the snow........200 miles on I95 is not a pleasant thought in the snow.

will be online later from boston

Andrea have a great trip. Looking forward to your report.!!

AM

Chadd
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Rob O. We're flying USAir through Philly leaving at 5:30 a.m. Wed. I have been glued to the weather reports and watching the hour-by-hour forecasts. We are driving from Western Mass, originally planning to leave around 2:00 a.m. May have to change the plans and leave a bit earlier as snow is expected to start here around 11p or 12a!!! :eek: Our connection time in Philly is very short, so our flight from Boston has to leave on time ... ahhh the stress of traveling from the Northeast in the winter! :rolleyes: But it will be well worth it once we touch down in paradise! :D

Oh how I HATE the snow. But you're right ... they do generally make it sound worse than it really is. Let's hope that's the case this time!
Worst case, the 11:30 flight from Charlotte has a lot of empty seats as of right now. There is a flight to Charlotte that leaves Boston at 6. You would lose a couple hours on the island but you would still be able to get there without any major problems. If you have to de-ice in Boston there is a better than even money chance you will miss the connection in Philly.

Andrea J.
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Unsure if Ehampite made his connection.
Boston weather from about 6 am til now...........torrential rain with tons of huge puddles.
About 2 inches of slush fell overnight and it turned to rain by daybreak.
I am guessing some delays at logan................but the weather here in boston is way better than the western suburbs or northern new england.

we made a good choice to leave maine yesterday and hold up here in boston!

we are catching up on our sleep :-)

tomorrow's flight is at 10:20!

Bill
01-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Unsure if Ehampite made his connection.
Boston weather from about 6 am til now...........torrential rain with tons of huge puddles.
About 2 inches of slush fell overnight and it turned to rain by daybreak.
I am guessing some delays at logan................but the weather here in boston is way better than the western suburbs or northern new england.

we made a good choice to leave maine yesterday and hold up here in boston!

we are catching up on our sleep :-)

tomorrow's flight is at 10:20!

Have a great trip. What timing.

Andrea J.
01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
thanks bill
will think of all of you while i am in aruba.
andrea

Have a great trip. What timing.

cindyo
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Andrea....a great idea...makes ya feel good when you dodge a bullet !!
Now, it doesn't appear that Ehamptite made the connection...Good luck tomorrow Andrea and Paul. I can picture you in shorts and T's waiting at the airport ! cindy

Arubalisa
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Who has now tonight or is at least expecting it? :eek:

WE actually have snow in our forecast for Thursday, but showers, believe it when you see the white stuff falling from the sky. Better chance of them cancelling school 'cause it is too cold. :rolleyes: :doh: These people here don't know what cold REALLY is.

Chelle
01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
We got about 6" last night. Soooo ready to head south :) Hope everyone has a great Sunday

Arubalisa
01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I will tell you that we do not have snow :eek:, BUT for Georgia it is EXTREMELY cold day with only a temperature of 37 degrees. Normally would be in the 50's. :(

~Amy~®
01-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Who has now tonight or is at least expecting it? :eek:

Not us here in Minneapolis. We get the cold temps but we don't get as much snow as the east coast does.

danadog56
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, I live about 45 minutes northwest of Pittsburgh airport and we got about 12-13 inches...haven't had this much snow for at least 4-5 years....we live back off the main road about 3/4 of a mile and it is a gravel driveway...could not get out at all yesterday, today all is good, but WOW....I'm ready for vacation...heck with this white stuff....:doh::doh::doh:

rob o
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Only 5 inches in Rhode Island

Andrea J.
01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
AA 1013 and AA 1044 were cancelled today.
I saw many smiles at the pool here at lacabana.

Arubalisa
01-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Only 5 inches in Rhode Island
That would make dd VERY happy! :)

we got about 12-13 inches..
Dd would be beside herself and not know which way to run!!! :D

Joycee
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
:pJust a dusting covered with a thin layer of ice here in Glen Cove, (LI) NY.

Belated Happy New Year to All!

rob o
01-12-2009, 05:49 AM
I will tell you that we do not have snow :eek:, BUT for Georgia it is EXTREMELY cold day with only a temperature of 37 degrees. Normally would be in the 50's. :(

Rob O would be very happy;);)

EHampite
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Andrea....a great idea...makes ya feel good when you dodge a bullet !!
Now, it doesn't appear that Ehamptite made the connection...Good luck tomorrow Andrea and Paul. I can picture you in shorts and T's waiting at the airport ! cindy

Hello all! Nope - we didn't make the connection! :doh: The whole trip from our home to Aruba was incredible from freezing rain coating the whole front end of the car with solid ice causing car problems :eek:, to de-icing the plane in BOS causing us to miss the connection in Philly!

Must give credit where credit it due, however. USAir was waiting just outside the jetway in Philly for those of us on the BOS flight heading to Aruba with boarding passes already printed and directed us to the gate where we took a flight to Charlotte then on to Aruba. They were very organized and helpful to us, and although it wasn't something I want to experience again, it all worked out. And obviously it was worth every second once we touched down in sunny, warm Aruba. :D

Now we are back in the frigid Northeast trying to get back to normal. :( Our 8 days in paradise are now just a memory! Have to start booking the next trip!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and well wishes!

Arubalisa
01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Ehamptite, good to hear you are safe and sound.