PDA

View Full Version : How's the snorkeling lately

mattmorr
01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Has anyone been snorkeling in the Boca, Catalina Cove, or Malmok recently? It was in terrible condition in November due to the Hurricane. Any info would be great.

Schnauzerjoy
01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
The bottom changed quite a lot from the last storm.

Visibility changes quite a lot from day to day .

At least as much fish now as any time earlier in 2008.

Quite a lot of turtles recently.

Cosmo
01-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I love the snorkeling in Boca Catalina area but have never seen any turtles in the past. How far do you have to swim out to see them ,are they out in the open or by the reefs.

Kent-ArubaBob
01-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Last July I went very early in the morning. It was still dark when I got in the water. That morning I saw 5 turtles, 2 sting rays, squid, and many fish. They were just swimming along shore where you would be snorkling. Kent

Cosmo
01-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks, I have seen the stingrays, tons of fish, and even an occasional squid, but never the turtles, looking forward to it. Next trip in 4 days

Schnauzerjoy
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
You cannot expect to see turtles on every swim, but I would say 1 out of 5 if you are on your own. If you are more people you can spread out and increase your chances.

They are anywhere from 4 meters from shore and all the way out to Antilla.

Have fun

Carsten

Cosmo
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Sounds great thanks for the info

mattmorr
01-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Good news!! Thanks for the info.

buzzy
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Is snorkling better at Boca Catalina & Malmok than at Baby Beach?

Arubalisa
01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Is snorkling better at Boca Catalina & Malmok than at Baby Beach?
This varies by personal opinion in my mind.

We enjoy Boca Catalina/Malmok just fine and imo, it is safer as long as you stay near shore.

Schnauzerjoy
01-23-2009, 07:20 AM
At Baby Beach, you will always have a ton of fish in a very small area, so it is very effortless to snorkel there. But it you go at the wrong times you also have a lot of people in that little area.

At Catalina, you normally have as much fish, and sometimes even more, but spread over a much larger area, so you have to work/swim more there.

Just my experience at least.

bearkeley
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Just got back last week from our first trip to Aruba. Although I spent most of my time getting certified as a diver (and loved it!) we found Mangel Alto to be beautiful but Baby Beach (between the beach and 2nd reef) had a lot more fish to see and was more protected from the wind.

danjackiew
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Where are the best places to snorkel if you are on eagle beach

jackie

Arubalisa
01-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Where are the best places to snorkel if you are on eagle beach

jackie
Eagle Beach has only a plain white sand bottom as does Palm Beach. Any of the other snorkel spots mentioned above are just fine.

Cosmo
01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I am in Aruba , went to Mangel Halto today with Kent. What a nice guy. The snorlkeling was fantastic.

Chadd
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Just got back last week from our first trip to Aruba. Although I spent most of my time getting certified as a diver (and loved it!) we found Mangel Alto to be beautiful but Baby Beach (between the beach and 2nd reef) had a lot more fish to see and was more protected from the wind.
I got my certification with Red Sail last summer, but I saved some time by doing the PADI coursework online. Where did you dive while getting your certification?

Blakjak66
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Snorkeling tip: If you want to get close and personal with the fish put a piece of bread in a plastic bag. Let some water into the bag and squeeze bread through a small hole in bag. The fish will swim to you for the easy meal and become your best friend while the bread lasts. Make sure you throw the bag away properly. Happy Snorkeling Everyone !!!

mattmorr
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Any updates to this post. Heading down over Easter, and curious how the Snorkeling has been latley.

Schnauzerjoy
03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Doesn't get much fresher than this. Just left the water a couple of hours ago at Catalina.
Visibility great. Tons of fish. No waves, so all in all great snorkeling now.

But wait....It gets better ;-)...... We were very surprised to see how much new coral that have grown in the month since we were here last.
I have not seen so much new coral grow in Catalina before.
It is extremely promising and hope it will continue and especially that everyone will respect the reefs and let it get back to former glory.

This is of course only a beginning, but gives hope for the future and if it is new life because of some big waves stirring things up, I will definitely say that it is worth a bit of in inconvenience at the hotel beaches.

This is a good evening :D.

Carsten

mattmorr
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the great news!!! Can't wait untill next week. I agree people need to respect the reef and understand the importance of how fragile, and sensitive it can be. Learn to snorkel in the pool first is essential for a begginer.

Thanks again Great Info

mnwild
06-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Kent, I see you use a Sea Scooter. I am an experienced snorkeler, but have never tried one. The classic version is on sale right now for $199. Do you recommend them?

Thanks!

jollypirates9394
06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Went to Boca and it was pretty good visibility. The next day when some of our friends went they said it got really murky. So it really depends on the weather

LoyallyLOST
06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I thought Aruba was OUTside the hurricane belt. That is what they state on the Aruba.com website. Is this false advertising? Need to get my snorkeling fix & August looks like the only time. Can't go back to Anguilla~IN hurricane belt AND they(sniff, sniff)got rid of Rendezvous Bay Hotel & Villas, which was THE best place & restaurant to be at!(Can't make it back to Hawaii til NEXT year!:()
Can anyone tell me about the hurricane chances???
Thanx!
Aloha!

Andrea J.
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
aruba has not had a hurricane direct hit for decades.
yup the hurricanes look to dometimes head dead on but then they hook northwestward.

so yes technically out of the hurricane belt

but aruba does feel affects
if there is a hurricane in the caribbean, north and northeast of aruba the storm tends to suck away the beautiful trade winds on aruba.

and of course the outer bands sometimes produce downpours (Lenny and Ivan) and thunderstorms. rarely the high winds.

so technically........out of the hurricane belt.
but i bet the hurricanes go anyplace that they want to go.;)

andrea

I thought Aruba was OUTside the hurricane belt. That is what they state on the Aruba.com website. Is this false advertising? Need to get my snorkeling fix & August looks like the only time. Can't go back to Anguilla~IN hurricane belt AND they(sniff, sniff)got rid of Rendezvous Bay Hotel & Villas, which was THE best place & restaurant to be at!(Can't make it back to Hawaii til NEXT year!:()
Can anyone tell me about the hurricane chances???
Thanx!
Aloha!