PDA

View Full Version : Beware of thieves

Toxdoc
01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
We own a timeshare (week 51) at the old aruba grand (now the beautiful Riu) and have been going there for many years...we were there in 2007 just after it reopened and had a wonderful time...this year was quite different...before we left we saw lots of postings on travel sites warning about room robberies at the Riu and were quite concerned...we mentioned this to the time share desk when we checked in and were told that this was not a problem...nevertheless, we took precautions anyway (i.e., carrying $$ & passports at all times, keeping our room door to the corridor chained most of the time, etc.)...however, on christmas eve our room was robbed while my wife was sleeping!!! they took i-pods, speakers, cash, jewlery and had to reach across my sleeping wife to steal her cell phone!! it was very scarry & creepy...the management was totally unsympathetic to what happened almost to the point of denial...i insisted that they call the police so i could get an official report because they didn't want to...the woman staying in the unit below ours with her 3 small children was awakened at 4 am and saw a mans head inside of her window...they way the thieves got into our room is because the sliding window locks do not work and it was easy to open the window from the deck, reach in and unchain the back door and open it...takes less than 15 seconds...we could have been told about this on check in, but were not...check out other intersites and see for yourselves how this is happening...it was a very unsettling experience for all of us and ruined what should have been a wonderful week in aruba...we will not be returning until some meaningful action has been taken

cindyo
01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Toxdoc, I do not stay at the Rui, but I am very disturbed at the reaction of the management, and their seemingly lack of help. I hope you reported it the police yourself, and I hope your belongings were covered by your homeowners. cindyo

CandyC55
01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey that makes me a little scared as we will be staying at the Westin right next door!!! What the heck is going on??? Especially being in the room while your wife was sleeping!! They have no fear obviously....

Randi
01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Has to be an inside job?:eek:

katb161
01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
We just returned from the heavenly island. We were at the Holiday Inn and a couple in our tower had a laptop and video camera taken from their room. Unfortunately, it happened when one of the cleaning crew was in their room. The safe is right there at the door and their valuables were on top of the safe. (too large to put into the safe) However, we have been told of thieves recently climbing balconies to access rooms. Make sure your patio door is locked!! No floor is out of reach apparently. We were quite dismayed when we heard all of this because we have been travelling to Aruba for quite a number of years.

ash
01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your robbery. That is terrible news to hear - for you and all of Aruba's visitors. I've noticed many rent-a-cops in the downtown area and I thought it was to keep the low life drug dealers and pick pockets away from the cruise ship tourists as well as show a presence of "the Law" to visitors. Now the criminals are going into hotels and rented homes? It is scary, but it is starting to sound a lot like Jamaica - where you basically don't leave the resort because of the local crime! Unfortunately, this is a direct result of putting all economic eggs into one basket; ie tourism, and when that basket comes up short, the crime increases.
Glad to hear you called the police because obviously the RIU doesn't want to take responsibility.

arubaerin
02-11-2009, 08:13 PM
My husband are leaving next Friday for Aruba. We are very excited to get to the sunshine however disturbed by reports of increased crime. We actually heard there are alot of people selling drugs and more crime around the beach walkway of the High Rises has anyone heard anything about this and is anything being done by the Aruba police?

Randi
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
We were just in Aruba over the Christmas vacation period and did not find any problems with drugs around the high rise district at all. Now we are in our late 40's so we wouldn't exactly look like the type drug dealers would be seeking out!;) However, our teenagers have told us in the past that if someone wanted drugs they could be found but they have never been approached. They go out at night but we instruct them to use the same judgment and caution they do at home. They do not walk along the boardwalk at 2am, they take a taxi back to the hotel for $5. We walk the boardwalk all the time at night but not late at night or the wee hours of the morning.

Aruba is very safe but you still must have common sense. Crime is everywhere but it is nothing like in the US or Canada!

Arubalisa
02-11-2009, 08:32 PM
There have been "punks" selling marijuana on the boardwalk since at least 1999. :( They didn't bother us and we didn't bother them. The police know they are there as do the Visibility team. :rolleyes:

arubamark
02-16-2009, 04:19 AM
What boardwalk are we talking about? Not that I am looking to score any grass or anything.:cool:

MARK68
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
The boardwalk is in front of the high rise hotels on the beach side approx 2 miles long from Divi Phoenix to the Marriot, there is a small section of just beach between Holiday and Moomba Beach. The crime I heard about or witnessed in Aruba is just a fraction of what I deal with in the area I live and work back in the states.

NealNearNorth
02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Thefts do occur on Aruba. Usually, they are someone who knows what time of day you come and go. Two employees of restaurants/clubs I know were robbed last year, while they were at work. Another friend had a laptop and camera stolen from a car (but leaving that in a car, even during the day, is "asking for it"). The short answer is to lock up valuables. Also, if you are only using your laptop for email, consider bringing your iPhone/blackberry or a small, portable device that stays on you, instead of the computer. If you are on a low floor accessible to the outside via a sliding door, be proactive enough to make sure the locks are working when you first arrive in the room. If you tell the hotel, they become liable for the theft, as soon as they log the complaint into their maintenance service log for a repair.

Andrea J.
02-16-2009, 06:22 PM
the walkway along the beachfront of the high rises (marriott holiday inn, playa linda, occidental etc......i think it goes all of the way down to the westin)
andrea

What boardwalk are we talking about? Not that I am looking to score any grass or anything.:cool:

coldsteel337
02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
We just got back on Feb 14th. We saw no sign of drugs anywhere and we were out each night. I was on the boardwalk by the Renaissance numerous times and saw no unsavory charactors.
Before leaving I had read about a pending Airport Strike or slowdown. We also encountered nothing of that sort either. It was our 6th trip and as much fun as the first. We tried and enjoyed some new restaurants. My only complaint was that the fish at Marina Pirata was
hard as a rock. Going back next March

patpete
02-16-2009, 07:48 PM
We just got back from staying at the holiday inn for are 10th time.Great trip,did not see or have any problems.But people please use common sence.Put your stuff away they give you a safe.Dont leave your computor a foot away from the door way so when the maids cleaning some one can grab it.Store it in your dresser away from the door.Have a safe trip.

Katie and Chris
02-16-2009, 11:31 PM
My sister just returned from a 3 week visit. And said the theft is worse now than in Nov when they were there. She was on the beach and an elderly couple from a cruise ship got their belongings stolen when they were swimming, luckily they had put their id's in their shoes and hung them up near by. Another couple put the rental car keys in a bag and the keys and car were taken while they were swimming at Baby Beach. They thought the theives were watching them as they left vehicle open and unlock. We arrive Wed and are going to be more careful than last year. Be careful.

Katie

ccinhbg
02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Sorry to hear that crime is on the rise. Sounds like extra precautions are in order no mattter where you are.

pondladykim
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi guys.
My husband and I have been traveling for many years and have developed a little travel savy along the way. When we go to Aruba, most of our cash and passports go immediately in the hotel safe. When we leave anything valuable in the room( my husbands $2500 Nikon), everything is locked in the suitcases with TSA luggage locks. We also bring 3 extra locks to lock link the bags together. It is unfortunate that a very small percentage of hotel employees or arubians are shady. It's ultimately up to each traveler to watch their own interests. I, as a woman, never walk alone and never carry or flash big money. I always shade the number pad at bank machine or public telephone. It's just good sense.

Flamingo78
03-20-2009, 02:27 PM
My opinion is that anywhere you go or vacation you have to use common sense and precaution. Aruba is one of - if not “THE” - safest vacation destinations in the Caribbean. Even still, you shouldn’t leave your valuables unattended, and things of exceptional value maybe shouldn’t travel with you at all.

Additionally, there seem to be a LOT of rumors going around. While there may have been a few isolated incidents, I think that stories have gotten extremely blown out of proportion. I think that there may be individuals who want to damage the reputation of certain resorts, for various unknown reasons.

I got caught up in the hype and wrote a frantic letter to the RIU because we are/were considering staying there this summer. The response I received couldn’t have been nicer or more informative. Upon review of these negative posts that have been popping up on every Aruba board on the web about the RIU, they all seem a bit fishy. Am I saying that thefts do not happen? Of course not. But I think that some tales have been sensationalized or fabricated altogether. We love Aruba, right along with everyone on this forum, and have never had a problem or witnessed a problem with theft. We have never felt unsafe, and we have never felt like we had to behave as if we were in a motel in a high-crime city. I think everyone needs to keep things in perspective, and remember that you can’t always believe what you read.

Arubalisa
03-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Additionally, there seem to be a LOT of rumors going around. While there may have been a few isolated incidents, I think that stories have gotten extremely blown out of proportion.
Rumors however may be truth when Diario reports that two Riu employees were arrested for allegedly stealing. (http://aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68831&sid=29d429a2e52a8dc40c9c28e35f9818a7)

Yes, Aruba is primarily a safe island. Take the same precautions you would at home.

Addtional info on the Riu and folks with room theft
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147249-d151277-r24800384-Riu_Palace_Aruba-Palm_Eagle_Beach_Aruba.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147249-d151277-r24800384-Riu_Palace_Aruba-Palm_Eagle_Beach_Aruba.html)

Flamingo78
03-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Arubalisa, I'm reviewing the info you linked now. I appreciate being properly informed and finding places where factual information is cited.

Andrea J.
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
thanks for the additional links!
andrea

danadog56
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
It just kills me to hear all of this....we have been very lucky AND TRUSTING !!! My girlfriend and her Dh own one week with my Dh and I and every year I encourage her to put her money into the safe and every year she just laughs at me....tells me I am paranoid...I say I am just using common sense...why make it so easy ???
Now I can tell her this and hopefully she will put her stash into the safe....and now this gives me another reason not to take a laptop with me...nowhere to keep it safe !!!!
Hopefully the ATA will read this and encourage the gov't to be more attentive to the antics of those that wish to ruin a good business...tourism!!!

Randi
03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
From what I am told from someone "in the know", is that the safes that have keys are fine as the only way to get in is to drill it. The safes with the number pad, where you enter your own code are the problem. Security staff know how to over ride the codes. Apparently, this was the case with the Riu and their break ins.

Just as an aside, the Aruban people are really the best. Some of the issues at the Riu, I am told, are that this hotel will only hire their own staff from outside Aruba. If an Aruban applies for a job there they are overlooked.

Arubalisa
03-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Some of the issues at the Riu, I am told, are that this hotel will only hire their own staff from outside Aruba. If an Aruban applies for a job there they are overlooked.
According to the article in Diario, the tourists arrived in their room and found an Aruban and a Venezuelan in their room.

Randi
03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
I guess this may fall into Andrea's quote of the day rumour vs. fact, but a Aruban friend of mine did explain that many Aruban people very qualified, if not over qualified have been turned down by the hotel as they are/or prefer to bring their own people from another country. Of course, this is their choice and there are lots of good people from all over the world but the people of Aruba are truly wonderful people!

Andrea J.
03-21-2009, 01:43 PM
i have heard the same thing too randi
ranging from construction of the resort to the day to day operations.

andrea

I guess this may fall into Andrea's quote of the day rumour vs. fact, but a Aruban friend of mine did explain that many Aruban people very qualified, if not over qualified have been turned down by the hotel as they are/or prefer to bring their own people from another country. Of course, this is their choice and there are lots of good people from all over the world but the people of Aruba are truly wonderful people!

lizzardo
03-21-2009, 03:09 PM
It's just really sad. I think if you are smart and do a couple things in advance (amex trip insurance) on your rental, don't bring "the good jewelry", use the safe behind the desk if available and make sure everything is "out of sight". You are in good shape.

I just wish that whatever organization in Aruba could do something to add more patrol people by the hotel areas and get serious about how they handle robberies (take them seriously or at least show some interest) - the crime would go down greatly. This isn't a big island and a little could go a long way!

rjlaruba
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
We spent a month in Aruba, we also heard about a lot of breakins at Rui, we were told they only have 2 guards for the whole complex??