PDA

View Full Version : Property Taxes

Mr Norman Paperman
05-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Does anybody know when are the property tax bills are mailed out.

SanNic44
05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I was told at the tax office in "May or June." However, the lady was not very sure, except that payment was due no later than December.

fattypatty
05-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Just curious - how much is the tax?

lizzardo
05-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Look under "useful info" for property tax info:

http://www.arubahouses.com/

I will tell you that when we moved here 4 years ago - we didn't get our property tax bills until about 1 year ago and that was 3 separate bills for the previous years.....

I have personally found that Aruba gov't tends to "clump" bills together -
another example - never got an income tax and a AZV bill for all 4 year
until the beginning of this year.

Not sure why - but it's just how it's done

Tom and Karen
05-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Just curious - how much is the tax?

Tax on a $200,000 house is less than $1000/year.

Mr Norman Paperman
05-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Using the Century 21 site that Lizzardo sends you to and using the formula
the 1st 34000 dollars US is deducted from the value then it is 4.00 USD per thousand after that. Approx.664 USD in taxes for a 200000 dollar house and land value.

fattypatty
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
not bad at all.

SanNic44
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
The rate is not bad, theoretically. However, they can reassess you when they feel like it regardless of the regular assessment schedule. You have to pay for the valuation or they will do it and invoice you, they being the Tax Office.

So, beware, as always, of the tax man.

lizzardo
05-30-2009, 09:03 AM
In Aruba - the rule of thumb is "when you least expect it - expect it".

For example - they were supposed to start charging to pick up
trash about 1 year ago. No one has gotten bills - we'll prob.
get a bill for all the previous years in a few years once they
have a system for that.....

Life on an island - it's a banana republic at times - in other times -
you just have to say "whaaa?"

Mr Norman Paperman
06-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Received my property tax bill today. Looks like it is due by the 30th of the month.

lizzardo
06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Well at least you got it before the due date! Sometimes the mail is so slow here you get things really late!

EHampite
06-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Received my property tax bill today. Looks like it is due by the 30th of the month.

We are looking to you experts who have owned homes in Aruba for some time. We are in the process of building at Gold Coast and just received on Friday what we believe to be our tax bill (from SIA). :confused: Since it is written in Dutch and is in Florins we're not certain what we owe, when it's due, and where to send the payment!! :doh: :eek:

Any help you folks can give would be greatly appreciated! :)

lizzardo
06-13-2009, 10:34 AM
For most of my dutch documents - I will type it in either google translate or babel fish. That way I can get an idea about what it's about.

If you need to convert AFL to USD - I use this website

http://coinmill.com/AWG_USD.html#AWG=17.95

I can never get the right amount w/ my calculator. I think you are supposed
to divide by 1.75 - 1 USD = 1.75AFL

EHampite
06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Liz. That's helpful and I will try that out. I also was wondering what Aruba homeowners think is the best way to make the payment from the U.S. - by wire transfer or mailing a check. :confused:

This is all new to us and we would like to know what you folks think is the best way to handle this. In the meantime I will try to translate from babel fish.

Thanks for your help! :)

Tom and Karen
06-13-2009, 01:44 PM
When is your next trip to Aruba? We pay our taxes on our Sept. trip. Have done this the last 3 years with no problem, at least so far.

Thanks, Liz. That's helpful and I will try that out. I also was wondering what Aruba homeowners think is the best way to make the payment from the U.S. - by wire transfer or mailing a check. :confused:

This is all new to us and we would like to know what you folks think is the best way to handle this. In the meantime I will try to translate from babel fish.

Thanks for your help! :)

EHampite
06-13-2009, 07:04 PM
When is your next trip to Aruba? We pay our taxes on our Sept. trip. Have done this the last 3 years with no problem, at least so far.

We're not sure yet when we will be traveling to Aruba again. We will have to do a walk-through of our place before we pay our last installment, but at this point, we're not certain when that will be. Whenever that is will be our next trip.

We will have to try and translate part of the document to see just when the payment is due - it would be great if we could time our trip with the due date so we could pay it while we are there!

Thanks for your input - maybe it will work out for us to be able to pay it when we go! :)

Mr Norman Paperman
06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Let me try to help with the tax bill the littlle that I can understand.

I to have let the bill wait till Sept. When I had my daughter pay it for me with uout any penalties.
I tried to pay through the Aruba bank last year with no success. My fault about all I know on a computer is AOL.com
Hench that is why my daughter paid the bill.

Dagtekening==Date
Tijdvak ==== Period

In the 1st box.
Heffingsgrondslag ==== Tax Base
2nd box.
Bedrag van de belasting ==== Amount of tax.
If you look at the bottom of the front sheet it gives you the BAnk Account # for the various banks in Aruba.

Back page
Specificate Waarde onroerend Goed == Specification value of immovable property.

In the code box you should have a cope P or O
P-Perceel or PLot
o Opstal I could not get a translation. But assume it must be for a home or residence.

If your home is not complete yet I would guess thiss is a P for Plot.
Of course there is more to be translated but thiss is what I use for the basics.

Mr Norman Paperman
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Under the heading of Betaling
The best translation I have for this
You can pay in 4 equal Terminisen. Each period expires on the last day each trimester therefore march 31 30 juni, 30 sept. and dec.31
a period which expires within 1 month after date of this attack and already expired periods, must pay you within 1 month after date

EHampite
06-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks so much! This is very helpful! I see the two banks at the bottom of the bill, so I would assume that payment could be made to either bank?

We will hold off a bit to see if we can schedule our next trip within the next month or two so we can pay it in person. If not, we will wire transfer to one of the banks at the bottom of the invoice.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

lizzardo
06-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I am assuming that your checks are from the US? I know if I put a US check in our bank - takes approx 6 weeks to clear. Yes I know that is insane. If you paid w/ a US check - the bank could hold your check and then after a period of time pay
your bill. The banks will not give you a date the check will clear. if you put
a US check in your account it shows that amount as "ready" but it is not.

The Aruba banks are either 1> the kings of "floating money" 2> really
not efficient at all. They are quicker w/ a wire transfer that should be
instant but will take a few days "in limbo" before it shows up in your
account.

I also love how if you do bring in a US check - if it's it's not made out to your exact legal name - no good. About 4 people will look at that check, the clerk and people behind the desks.

Ok enough about banking here -

Do a wire transfer! LOL!

EHampite
06-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks, Liz. I guess that settles it - wire transfer is the way to go! Being this is a new experience for us, I am sure we will learn by our mistakes along the way! :doh: But the help of all you experts on this board is greatly appreciated! :D

sy428
06-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Where did they send the bill to? US address? I was told my mailing address is US. I have not received any thing in the mail. I called them. I was told they couldn't find my tax bill.

Tom and Karen
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Our tax bill is sent to our Aruba address. We wait and pay it in September.

Where did they send the bill to? US address? I was told my mailing address is US. I have not received any thing in the mail. I called them. I was told they couldn't find my tax bill.

Mr Norman Paperman
06-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't know why it is that my Tax bill is sent to my US address and then Quarterly they send my Web bill to my house. Must have been the way I set it up or some thing. I don't know.

EHampite
06-16-2009, 05:34 AM

Ours came to our U.S. address as well - we just received it last Friday. It's a good thing, as our home in Aruba is not yet completed.

lizzardo
06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Web bills are your utility bills correct? They are different than you tax bills entirely.

We pick up the mail for our neighbors who aren't here all the time. We scan them
and email them to him. He pays the bills online. If you know someone who can do that for you - it is one of the best ways to make sure you are getting all the bills.

sy428
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Thank you. I emailed early in May. I was told that it would be mailed to my US adress. But I didn't received it yet. I called them a couple of days ago. They found my number but don't know the tax amount. I am still waiting for their reponse.

BillStellaR
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure what they do with the mail. I received a letter in Canada last week (June 18 I think it was) which was mailed in Aruba at Easter.

The 2009 tax bills have been mailed out and can be paid in 4 portions i.e 31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December. It says that they are due one month after the date on the bill which is 30.06.2009. (I don't know what they do if you don't pay!)

Anyhow, as I am currently on the Island I went and paid mine at the bank but the bank told me that I could have paid it online through them i.e RBTT as I do have Netbanking with them. The Payee would be listed as Servicio di Impuesto.

I hope this helps.
Stella

jebel
09-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I bought a small house one year ago but not received any tax bill yet.
Does anybody know where to phone or go to have any information?

MARK68
09-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I did not receive a tax bill for the house or land which I received yearly for the past 3 years. I went to the new tax building located just pass the Talk of Town to register a vehicle last month and asked about my tax bill and paid for the past quarter which was outstanding and the upcoming quarter. The person I spoke to stated that the bills should have been sent a few months ago. I had to pay a small late fee for the 1st bill. Also a little tip, I went at approx. 11:30/11:40am, 15min.'s before lunch and the place was empty and I was in an out in record time. I have also been there in the early morning and have spent hours waiting for my number to be called.

jebel
10-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Thank You Mark!
Where exactly is Talk of Town?

cindyo
10-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Thank You Mark!
Where exactly is Talk of Town?

Talk of the town is between Rennaissance and Pinchos...on the street side of the main drag. Talk of the town is a small hotel. It would be on your left as you drive towards the airport just as you leave downtown. You could drive by it quickly if you aren't looking for it.

MARK68
10-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Jebel, If you are on the island now send me a pm, I will be arriving with wife tomm and can show you the tax office or bring you sometime nxt week. If ur not on the island send a pm to me and if you want I might have some free time nxt week and with some info I could get a copy of a tax bill mailed out to u.

jebel
10-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Thank You! I'll do that