PDA

View Full Version : Bottled water and snacks?

Bride2Be
05-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi there. I am getting married in Aruba in June. We want to provide welcome bags for our guests when they arrive, and I want to include bottled water and some sort of snack (pretzels etc.) among other things. Rather than pay to ship these down there, figured it would be easy to stop at a grocery store. Where do you recommend going for these things? We are staying at the Hyatt, so somewhere between the airport and the Hyatt where we could stop on our way to check in would be best. Any advice is appreciated -- thanks! :p

Arubalisa
05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Major grocery stores between airport and the Hyatt:

Ling & Son's
Certified
Hong King Supermarket

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/grocery%20store.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/grocery%20store.html)
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f37/buying-bulk-costco-like-store-37433/ (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f37/buying-bulk-costco-like-store-37433/) Buying in Bulk- A Costco-like store??
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f37/lings-sons-delivery-pick-up-30881/ (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f37/lings-sons-delivery-pick-up-30881/)

Chadd
05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
You might want to avoid the bottled water. Tap water in Aruba is fantastic and the empty bottles are unnecessary waste. Some inexpensive stainless steel bottles that can be re-used would be more environmentally friendly.

Arubalisa
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
You might want to avoid the bottled water. Tap water in Aruba is fantastic and the empty bottles are unnecessary waste. Some inexpensive stainless steel bottles that can be re-used would be more environmentally friendly.
Very true! AND excellent idea. My dh has been using the below:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4763504/SiggWaterBottle-main_Full.jpg

Dh is a "water snob" and has been using the SIGG canteen all year for work and has been very happy with it.

We just bought 3 new wide mouth (for ice) canteens with the insulated totes for our next Aruba trip.

cindyo
05-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Ling and Sons carry those shopping bags( recycle type) for 1.00 and they are orange. Hong King carry one also for the same price and they are turquoise...We came home with a few of each....Roll up a beach towel and throw some trinkets in them....

danadog56
05-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Chadd, that is a wonderful idea.....

Bride2be....maybe you could be those here and have them mongramed.. would be nice and ecofriendly.....

Bride2Be
05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much to everyone for all the ideas! I really appreciate it!!

Arubalisa
06-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Snacks that were pre-packaged were ok on all airlines I was on. (Southwest, Northwest, American, United and KLM) Of course, anything that you can purchase in the area after security can be carried on the plane.
We have always hand carried homemade sandwiches enroute TO Aruba for consumption on the plane and never had a problem. Has this policy changed???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

FWIW, roast beef again this year RobO, if we can keep it away from dd.

rob o
06-13-2009, 05:06 PM

If I recall correctly, the roast beef was nearly consumed before you departed?

Chadd
06-13-2009, 05:39 PM
We have always hand carried homemade sandwiches enroute TO Aruba for consumption on the plane and never had a problem. Has this policy changed???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't believe any airline has a problem with bringing your own food along. As long as you aren't selling it to other passengers, pack along as much as you like.

Arubalisa
06-13-2009, 05:49 PM
If I recall correctly, the roast beef was nearly consumed before you departed?
Oh yes :rolleyes:...you recall that correctly...the infamous plate of "disappearing" roast beef perpetrated by the child who did not like roast beef.

I don't believe any airline has a problem with bringing your own food along. As long as you aren't selling it to other passengers, pack along as much as you like.
See above ;), dd would never ever part with a sandwich her father has made unless it was by FORCE! ;) :D

Seriously, thanks for the update, it is good to know that we can still travel with our own little "picnic". With Atlanta traffic we have to leave the house 5 hours :eek: :doh: before our flight even departs. By far the worst part of the trip only saved by the Crown Club. ;)

ArubaTeresa
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Last year at the Charlotte, NC airport, someone behind us had a water bottle and security threw it away, how do you get your food through security as this might be something I would like to do. I remember reading about your roast beef last year!

Arubalisa
06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
We just pack the sandwiches, napkins and snacks separately in a food store plastic bag.

<<Knock on wood>> but traveling international and domestic we have had no issues doing this. Hopefully it is pretty obvious, 3 people, 3 sandwiches, 4+ hour flight with no meal...

Dh then purchases soda or water AFTER the TSA security checkpoint so that we have something to "wash everything down" on the flight without having to wait for the beverage cart.

I only say that because one Delta flight, and only one, the cart did not come through until midway into the flight and only came through one time. Thankfully has not happened again.

Chadd
06-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow, it only takes about ten minutes to get to the airport parking lot here and security rarely takes longer than five minutes. A big plus to living in a mid sized town. The down side is we have to connect, but more often than not, I still don't leave the house five hours before the flight to Aruba leaves.

As long as it isn't a gel or liquid, you can take it through security. There has been talk of the liquid ban coming to an end at some point this year but that has died down lately.

Arubalisa
06-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow, it only takes about ten minutes to get to the airport parking lot here and security rarely takes longer than five minutes. A big plus to living in a mid sized town. The down side is we have to connect, but more often than not, I still don't leave the house five hours before the flight to Aruba leaves.
Living with traffic STINKS! :mad: We are 20 minutes from the nearest grocery store, and the airport and the traffic congestion between here and there a WHOLE 'NOTHER story. :doh:

There have been times it has only taken us an hour to get to the airport. There have been times though when we have gone to downtown Atlanta and it has taken 2 1/2 hours and still been 10 miles from the airport. The airport is on the south end of the city and we come in from the north. :mad:

So...to be on the safe side, we always have to make sure we leave ourselves plenty of time to get there. One bad accident on a 12 lane highway could cause us to miss our flight. :(

In the past we've considered staying the night before at an airport hotel but the one's which are not "roach motels" :mad: are big $$$ :doh: and we also have to pay our catsitter and vet (for boarding) for extra $$$. :doh:

Easier to just pass a couple of hours in the Crown club. :cool: