PDA

View Full Version : First Visit - Should We Rent a Car

Jeff of Rochester
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello, my first post... be gentle. Should we rent a car in Aruba? We are a family of four who plan on spending time on the beach while taking an occasional excursion, i.e., an ATV tour. Is a rental worth it? If I don't rent, will I be making a mistake? TIA

Arubalisa
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum. :)

Personal preference on whether or not to rent a vehicle. Some folks will say they HAVE to have a vehicle to come and go as they please. Taxis are readily available at the resorts and within a quick phone call of restaurants. Aruba has an excellent public bus system as well.

People like dh and I used the car a lot on our first two visits to the island. We went here and there and spent a lot of time getting lost. Over the course of two trips, we did manage to find all of the sites.

The second day of our third trip while thinking about our rental car sitting in the hotel parking lot, we looked at one another and said we are not going to be leaving this blessed beach, so why not just turn the car in and take taxis to dinner. We turned in the rental.

You cannot beat the deal of a taxi approximately $20-30 (depends upon number of bags, day of week, tip) each way between the resort and the airport. The bus can be used for shopping trips into Oranjestad.

If you are not "beach people", first time visitors to the island in particular may want to rent a car to get around and check things out. Another consideration in justifying the expense is that if you take a one day jeep tour or any other excursions, many times transportation is provided to and from your hotel.

Dh and I personally have settled into a routine of renting a 4 x4 for one day during our trip in order to take a day to travel around Arikok National Park and then that evening driving to a dinner destination furthest from our resort such as those in Savaneta: Flying Fishbone, Old Man & the Sea or Marina Pirata. Savaneta is a hefty taxi ride roundtrip from the resort areas.

Another option is to rent a vehicle for the first 3 days of your trip. You will have transportation from the airport to your resort and then you can use the vehicle for touring, exploring and shopping before settling down into a beach routine. I didn't suggest the last three days of your trip and drop off the vehicle at the airport since you usually want to make the most of those last days relaxing on the beach ;)

http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html (http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html)
http://taxiaruba.com/new/policy.html (http://taxiaruba.com/new/policy.html)

trnst7
05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Where are you staying?

trnst7
05-31-2009, 09:48 PM
And which Rochester are you from?

cindyo
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
IMOP If I were you I would rent one for a few days. Tool around the island, take yourself to restaurants instead of paying cabs...see the California Lighthouse, baby beach, Aloe Plant, Balashi tour...you can't get lost, honestly...enjoy your trip...

Jarubian
06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the Forum Jeff of Rochester, you will love the island.

Jeff of Rochester
06-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Rochester NY

Jeff of Rochester
06-01-2009, 08:57 PM
ArubaLisa,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply.
Your info will help.

Arubalisa
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
ArubaLisa,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply.
Your info will help.
You are very welcome. There are many folks here willing to help.

jpsphr
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Jeff of Rochester New York! I hope you are going in February. It's like the arctic there that time of year.

As to the car, we wind up renting it for the week, since we take a few trips to the supermarkets, Baby Beach and Catalina Beach for snorkeling and to and from the airport. Couple those trips with a couple of restaurant trips by taxi, and the difference between the rental and the cabs is not much at all. Having said that, a friend of mine stays for 4 weeks a year and only rents for a few days to a week in total. They are major beach people!

For an ATV ride, all the operators will pick you up at your hotel. If you are in the high rise area, snorkeling or fishing trips are a walk to the beach.

Have fun, and don't forget to post a few pictures when you get back.

CandyC55
06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Jeff of Rochester I'm from Syracuse NY and we will be traveling to Aruba again in March 2010. This will be our third trip and have bought a time share at the Marriott. Aruba is everything you could imagine and more. Paradise... Rent a car as they say for a few days but the public bus is great to useas are the taxis we had no problem getting around the island. But most of our days were spent on the beach... Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

trnst7
06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
My vote is to def rent a car for the week. If you're staying at the Marriott, that's $30 each way from the airport alone. If you go to the grocery store, thats another $35-40 r/t as well ($100 so far if you're counting). If you plan on doing any site seeing other than the ATV ride, you'll need a vehicle. The bus is cheap transportation, but i'm not sure if you'll want to do that with the kids in tow. I almost didnt rent one on my trip. I actually didnt make the reservations til 2 days before we left and it was the best decision I made. Taxi's are always readily available, but they add up fast. You're resort is the last one on the very northern tip. You can walk to a handful of restaurants but that'll get old when the kids start complaining. Just my two cents. Enjoy your trip.

Jeff of Rochester
06-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks big guy!

Andrea J.
06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
from a person tht ALWAYS rents a car.... (me)

trnst7, very well said.

andrea

My vote is to def rent a car for the week. If you're staying at the Marriott, that's $30 each way from the airport alone. If you go to the grocery store, thats another $35-40 r/t as well ($100 so far if you're counting). If you plan on doing any site seeing other than the ATV ride, you'll need a vehicle. The bus is cheap transportation, but i'm not sure if you'll want to do that with the kids in tow. I almost didnt rent one on my trip. I actually didnt make the reservations til 2 days before we left and it was the best decision I made. Taxi's are always readily available, but they add up fast. You're resort is the last one on the very northern tip. You can walk to a handful of restaurants but that'll get old when the kids start complaining. Just my two cents. Enjoy your trip.

swagmaster
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
We enjoy having a car as well. It's very easy to get around, and with the car you can get up and go whenever you want.

michelemeow
06-02-2009, 11:06 PM
i agree rent a car or jeep for a few days...taxis can be expensive...i have a taxi driver who is amazing. i use only him...hubert kingsale his number is 297 593 7241 he is an amzing person...so if you need a cab call him...maybe call the day before maybe...he is popular

Dom
06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I also rent a car for the 2 weeks I am in Aruba every year. I think it would probably be a bit less expensive to take cabs, but I like having the convenience of a car. This year, including all taxes, it is costing me about $320 total for 15 days.

Jeff of Rochester
06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
OK, I did it, I rented a car...

Andrea J.
06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
way to go JoR

now, what's next?

restaurant reservations?

andrea

Jeff of Rochester
06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Actually, yes... When should I start?

Chadd
06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
OK, I did it, I rented a car...
Good choice, even if it sits in the parking lot for a day or two you will still make out cheaper in the end if you hit a couple restaurants or hit up some of the local sites. My car usually wears a path between my hotel and the pier where the dive boats dock.

It's somewhat ironic that the first time I see this topic is the night that I'm actually in Rochester.

Jeff of Rochester
06-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm guessing our town ain't like Aruba...

Andrea J.
06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
go over to Culinary Cuisine section

and search around and see what is popular.

see u over there.
andrea

Actually, yes... When should I start?

CandyC55
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Jeff when is your trip? Make a reservation at the Papimento it was a wonderful restaurant we had a great time there were 10 of us and our service was great as was the food. The wine was good too!!!! I can't wait for March....

Kmiller
02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Staying at Marriott Surf Club with my parents who are in there 70's.. Trying to decide if we need a car or take taxis,, Also is the $25 to and from the airport per person or a flat rate.. If you suggest to rent what rental agency do you suggest

THANK YOU:)

Arubalisa
02-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Welcome to the forum. :)

Renting or not is really a personal preference.
http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%20rental%20vs.%20taxi.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%20rental%20vs.%20taxi.html)

Taxis carry up to five persons at flat fees, so yes, $25 for the fare from the airport to the Marriott. Add $3 on Sunday or holidays.

lec27
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I've always taken a cab and it's only $18 from the airport. I was just there last week. Maybe because I dazzled my cab driver with my 2 words of papiamento :)

Sunny Beaches
02-21-2010, 10:37 PM
imo no reason to rent, unless you need, taxi's are all flat rate not per person.

lizzardo
02-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Also will note that there are special taxis that handle wheelchairs.
They are pretty inexpensive compared to the states. We used
them once in a while with my 82 year old mother who was
in a wheelchair the last 2 years she lived here.

Jeff of Rochester
02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
We were never able to able to rent a car:-(
We arrived a day late to Aruba because of bad weather in Atlanta and they gave away our car. It was a mixed blessing however... the taxi drivers were awesome; The bus lines were great; We went on a very cool Tomcar excursion too!

sunnysmiles
02-26-2010, 07:12 AM
We were never able to able to rent a car:-(
We arrived a day late to Aruba because of bad weather in Atlanta and they gave away our car. It was a mixed blessing however... the taxi drivers were awesome; The bus lines were great; We went on a very cool Tomcar excursion too!
Green Zebra?? We are definitely thinking of doing that when we are there in a couple weeks!! Would love to hear more about it. Which excursion did you do? Baby Beach or the other?

You can definitely get by without a rental in Aruba but I'm looking forward to have a vehicle for a few days this time to see more on our own schedule!
I was leary of the bus at first (our local bus system is scary!) but it was great and cheap!

Jeff of Rochester
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, we went through Green Zebra. We took the half day north tour. We plan on going back to Aruba next year. We had so much fun driving the Tomcars that we plan on taking the south island, the Baby Beach tour, when we return. Safe and lots of fun!

tangy003
03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
In the times my wife and I have gone,we always take the taxi.Airport to hotel and back again.Next trip we may rent a jeep just for a day to go to the baby beach.Other then that.Take a taxi.Look at it like this too....if ya like to drink then no worries about driving drunk.

felle442
03-11-2010, 06:27 AM
We like the convenience of having a car being able to jump up go at any time........its really less expensive that cabbing it all over especially for a stay of 2 weeks or more. If you are just staying one week....you may prefer to take cabs/buses. But still a personal preference.

Chadd
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
The cost difference is negligible for us, but even an extra $25-$30 for the week is well worth the extra measure of freedom. We do enjoy spending time at baby beach and downtown, though. Your wants/needs may vary.

fattypatty
03-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I've always taken a cab and it's only $18 from the airport. I was just there last week. Maybe because I dazzled my cab driver with my 2 words of papiamento :)

what did you say to them? those must have been some magic words considering i've always paid 25.

Andrea J.
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
your cab drver was in violation of the fare rules set by the government.

by the cab driver breaking those rules, it makes it BAD for the cab drivers that follow the rules (gives the impression of being ripped off, when in actuality they are charging the standard rate)

real poor form by your cab driver.

Happy_Mom_13
05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
My husband, two boys (6 and 9) and I will be staying at the Tamarijn for nine days in July. We have never been to an all-inclusive resort before, and we've always had a car available on previous vacations. We were prepared to rent a car at the airport and keep it for the entire trip. We definitely plant to go to Baby Beach, into the National Park, and to Oranjasted. We wouldn't mind sampling a few restaurants off-resort and maybe a trip aboard the Jolly Roger as well.

It seems to me that it would be easier just to have a car available for the entire trip, rather than arranging transportation to and from the airport and then just renting a car for one or two days and trying to see the rest of the island in that time.

Do you think we should save the money and just rent a car for one or two days? I know Aruba is small, but it's hard to believe we can really see it in one or two days. Will it be worth the extra money to have the car rental for the week? Also -- if we are NOT planning a trip to the Natural Pool do we need a 4X4 in the national park?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Arubalisa
05-18-2010, 11:11 PM
If money is no object, go ahead and rent a car.

However, unless you will be going out nearly every day, the price of a rental for the entire stay at an all inclusive is really not going to be worth it.

If you sit down and just do some rough calculations on price of a car for the entire time vs. renting for partial time and filling in with taxi or bus, it will more than likely be more economical to rent the car for a limited number of days.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/taxi%20fares.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/taxi%20fares.html)

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%20rental.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%20rental.html)

Andrea J.
05-19-2010, 07:15 AM
as lisa says do the math and figure on the costs renting vs not.
it is nice to have a car at your disposal 24/7 or in your case 24/9.
bear in mind that your best bet might be renting the car for 2 or 3 days and planning your off site ventures within those days.
when going to baby beach, remember to leave no valuables visible in the vehicle.
there are unscrupulous individuals that prey on unattended car rentals parked at snorkeling sites.

we always get a car as we get itchy sometimes and need to move about whenever we feel like it.

the national park has a paved road where travel in a car is ok. stay on the paved roadway

My husband, two boys (6 and 9) and I will be staying at the Tamarijn for nine days in July. We have never been to an all-inclusive resort before, and we've always had a car available on previous vacations. We were prepared to rent a car at the airport and keep it for the entire trip. We definitely plant to go to Baby Beach, into the National Park, and to Oranjasted. We wouldn't mind sampling a few restaurants off-resort and maybe a trip aboard the Jolly Roger as well.

It seems to me that it would be easier just to have a car available for the entire trip, rather than arranging transportation to and from the airport and then just renting a car for one or two days and trying to see the rest of the island in that time.

Do you think we should save the money and just rent a car for one or two days? I know Aruba is small, but it's hard to believe we can really see it in one or two days. Will it be worth the extra money to have the car rental for the week? Also -- if we are NOT planning a trip to the Natural Pool do we need a 4X4 in the national park?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Shnyda
05-19-2010, 07:44 AM
If you guys were not staying all inclusive I would say without a doubt get the car. Your best bet may be to rent a car for 3 days or so depending on how much of an issue $$$ is.

Arubalisa
05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
bear in mind that your best bet might be renting the car for 2 or 3 days and planning your off site ventures within those days.

Your best bet may be to rent a car for 3 days or so depending on how much of an issue $$$ is.

;) :) Our last two stays at the Tamarijn, that is exactly what we have done renting a vehicle for 3 days. During this time we do our "running" around ....Tranquilo or Jolly Pirates, Marina Pirata, Boca Catalina, sightseeing, happy hour at Bugaloe... :D

Just re-reading your post Happy_Mom, it may be difficult to drag your kids away from the Tamarijn. ;) :cool: :) The swimming pool alone is a "kid magnet".

jeffnev
05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
We spend a week in Aruba virtually every year and always rent a car for the week. You can usually find a decent weekly rate this time of year and you save taxi fares to and from the airport (always get your car at the airport). Also, a taxi to many parts of the island can be $50 round trip for dinner to many locations, more than a daily rental alone.

If your are considering any type of exploration you definitely want the car for the week so that you can pick your days (it does get cloudy occasionally :-) ) and head out whenever you want. I'm not sure what type of vehicle you want but I just reserved a compact car like a Toyota Corolla for $225 for the entire week for early July.

My only advice is to use a reputable company and avoid the bargain outfits as their vehicles are often pretty beat up.

luvsun
05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
with kids, it would be nice to have a car. we rented from American last month for $140. for a week. also if you are planning on going to the other side of the island you need a jeep. we have pulled a lot of cars out that have gotten stuck. The other side of the island is worth the ADVENTURE!! And if you get lost, which we still do, laugh about it cuz you'll always find your way out.

sunscreen
05-20-2010, 12:44 AM
:doh:GET A CAR!!!!!!! Don't get trapped by the notion of all-inclusive unless you plan on laying in the beach all day FOR 7 DAYS - och:D

sunworshipperII
05-20-2010, 07:47 PM
We usually rent for 3 days that seems like enough for us.but you need to way to cost of taxis, or a car

badney
05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
We rented a car for the week we were there in Jan. It was very nice to have the car at our disposal. We probably could have done with the car for just 3 days -and a lot of the rental places list prices for 3 days and for a week. It all depends on what you want to see/how much you want to do outside of the resort. It would be a waste to not get off property at least a few times!

Tip about Baby Beach - get there early (i.e. before 10am on a weekday) and you will have your choice of palapas!

Happy_Mom_13
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
We have decided to rent a car for our entire 9 day stay at Tamarijn next month. It seems much easier to rent from an agency directly at the airport rather than taking a shuttle/cab elsewhere, but I was reading some old threads that suggest otherwise. Any thoughts? Any favorite rental agencies? I want this to be as "stress-free" a vacation as possible, which is why it seems easiest to rent at the airport....

luvsun
06-30-2010, 08:51 AM
We've done both, by renting at the airport you save on the taxi cost..which could be around $50. then you have the cost of renting at the airport, i don't believe thats as much. when we've rented at the airport we went with avis everything was fine just make sure you always have your papers. the nice thing about not doing it at the airport you can just be dropped off and not have to deal with taking the car back.

Andrea J.
06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
http://www.aruba.com/TraveltoAruba/GroundTransportation/Search/type=carrental/default.aspx

and TROPIC is not listed on the site/link
try emailing
tropiccarrent@setarnet.aw
we have always had great service, vehicles with tropic

jeffnev
06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
We have decided to rent a car for our entire 9 day stay at Tamarijn next month. It seems much easier to rent from an agency directly at the airport rather than taking a shuttle/cab elsewhere, but I was reading some old threads that suggest otherwise. Any thoughts? Any favorite rental agencies? I want this to be as "stress-free" a vacation as possible, which is why it seems easiest to rent at the airport....

We have been renting at the airport the past 4 years and have used Hertz, but this year we got a much better rate from Budget for the week. It does take 10-15 minutes when you pick up and drop off, but then you don't have to deal with getting a rental at the hotel/timeshare and spending time once you're there. I think it comes down to personal choice- we always love driving from the airport to Palm Beach after we land as the excitement of spending the week in Aruba builds. We did rent from a local company 5 years ago and had a bad experience (bad tires, dirty car, lousy service) so we decided to go with the "name brands" and maybe pay a few extra $$. We have a Toyota Corolla (only 2 of us this time) from Budget for $215 week including airport fees, etc. so we're pretty happy. We love having the car available to explore, go to dinner, basically have freedom to go wherever we want whenever we want.

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10732;130/st/20100705/e/Aruba+Time%21%21/k/bc0e/event.png (http://www.tickerfactory.com/)

sophieaua
07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi,

All the rentals in the airport are the biggest like hertz, budget..........the smaller and with good prices are not there any more because of the high taxes!!!!!!!!!!
If you need any help, let me know, I can help you with your rental, and with of course good prices and good idea for restaurants, nices beaches (easy everywhere!!!!), and maybe nice things to see!!!!

Pick up and drop of at the airport can be arrange!!!!

Take care

Sophie

Andrea J.
07-08-2010, 08:23 AM
the best help that you can be is posting here on the forum.

if you have car rental suggestions, please post in the "getting around aruba" section.

if you have suggestions on restaurants "culinary and culture"

andrea

Hi,

All the rentals in the airport are the biggest like hertz, budget..........the smaller and with good prices are not there any more because of the high taxes!!!!!!!!!!
If you need any help, let me know, I can help you with your rental, and with of course good prices and good idea for restaurants, nices beaches (easy everywhere!!!!), and maybe nice things to see!!!!

Pick up and drop of at the airport can be arrange!!!!

Take care

Sophie

angelone
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I use Tropic Car Rental very happy the gentelmans name is Hans he greets you at the airport he will be holding a sign with your name on it.