PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to buy jewelry in Aruba!

Sgroi135
07-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Is it really worth buying Jewelry in Aruba?? I might purchase some jewlery but not sure if it is really worth buying there or just buying in the US. I looked at the jewelry store at the Radisson and it was a NY based company....... I really didn't look around, but if I do get something it is not going to be just a little piece.

Anyone have any input???

Andrea J.
07-16-2009, 09:44 PM
some folks swear the product and the price in aruba is far superior than what they could get at home (wherever home may be).

i know there are plenty of reputible and terrific jewelers on island.
i think that there are some "unique" items that may not be able to be bought in the usa.

that being said, my opinion is that one can do as well at any jewelry center in NYC, BOS, ATL, MIA or LA. (to name a few)

i have never bought any real expensive items in aruba.
i have bought Lladro, waterford, earrings and a couple of fossil watches........
no huge $$ items. (all at little switzerland in downtown o'stad)

i have seen better prices for diamonds, emeralds, rolex in st maarten.

andrea

Is it really worth buying Jewelry in Aruba?? I might purchase some jewlery but not sure if it is really worth buying there or just buying in the US. I looked at the jewelry store at the Radisson and it was a NY based company....... I really didn't look around, but if I do get something it is not going to be just a little piece.

Anyone have any input???

Arubalisa
07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
i have seen better prices for diamonds, emeralds, rolex in st maarten.

andrea
I agree!

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/jewelry.html (http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/jewelry.html) Some places to shop, some to stay away from...

cindyo
07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
We shop Kays every year we are there...Got a $5000 watch for $2700 Concord, a diamond bracelt $4000 for $1400..Good deals in our eyes...Appraised much higher at home..you decide..

CasaHappy
07-17-2009, 04:09 AM
I am sad to say I lost my engagement ring this week. My fault, I left it on the night stand of the hotel. We called back at 6AM and it does not appear any one has found it for us... we stay at this Nashville hotel several times a year for early morning flights out. We are still in hopes it will show up some how.:(

But my question is this, I can only wear white gold. My ring was purchased on St. Thomas but we would like to shop while in Aruba in September. To save us time, are there any shops that stand out in your mind that have white gold? Many island jewlers will offer to "dip" the ring in white gold but we do not want that.

We have purchased several braceletts and ankle wear over the years, but I never looked at the rings.

Just thought some of you might remember seeing a larger then usual selection of white gold somewhere.
Thanks!!

Sgroi135
07-17-2009, 06:24 AM
I know that I stopped into the Store at the Radisson, and was looking at 18k white gold jewelry.

I would assume that most reputable stores would carry white.

katherine
07-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Do not buy a lot of jewelry, but I have purchased a couple of David Yurman pieces at the Hyatt through Gandelman Jewelers, and have saved several hundred dollars on each piece bought. This is when compared to prices online and in stores in NJ.

Sgroi135
07-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Do not buy a lot of jewelry, but I have purchased a couple of David Yurman pieces at the Hyatt through Gandelman Jewelers, and have saved several hundred dollars on each piece bought. This is when compared to prices online and in stores in NJ.

Hmmmmm.

My problem is that I am looking for something specific, and not sure if they will have it when i get there...

Tom and Karen
07-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Anyone have any input???

Compared to the stores we have available in where we live in Michigan, Aruba has a much better selection and quality.

Chadd
07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
We got great deals on a few emerald items for my wife over the years and the loose stones were dirt cheap. We swapped a couple loose stones for some custom work from a local goldsmith.

Jarubian
07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Its up to the person taste and wallet, but comparing it to the state CA, Aruba wins.

purpleangel
07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I purchased a Movado watch in Aruba (Little Switzerland) that was 1/2 the price of what it would be in the U.S.

cindyo
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Hmmmmm.

My problem is that I am looking for something specific, and not sure if they will have it when i get there...

What is it? Maybe we can direct you.

CasaHappy
07-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks! I had not thought to look at the shops in the resorts. We have purchased down town before! Lots of help!

We also heard Casa Del Mar has a new shop and it may also carry white gold.

G

Linda VH
07-20-2009, 09:54 AM
What are you looking for? I just went through a bunch of jewelry stores last week! DH purchased a beautiful multi-colored sapphire bracelet for me at Sean's. I have never seen another bracelet like it and love it. We did go up and down the street so I know what the different stores have!

luvsun
07-20-2009, 04:58 PM
we purchased our wedding bands at Nobles (hearts on fire diamonds) and then when we were there a few months back I also got a hearts on fire necklace! Nobles are great people to work with and the best part is NO taxes!!

CasaHappy
07-21-2009, 02:24 AM
We will be sure to stop at Nobles. Thanks!

lizzardo
07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Know that some places have "custom services" - there is a store on the ren pier that does that. Can't vouch for the prices - my thing is if you can comfortably afford it and you like it (or is for a special occassion) - consider it. Jewelry is one of the worst investments you can make. Those "money for gold" places are a rip-off and give you a very low price for gold - and unless you have an "investment grade" gem - they are pretty worthless.

mjn109
08-01-2009, 09:03 AM
All I can say is buyer beware! My husband bought me what we thought and were told was a beautiful diamond and sapphire ring set in gold at Gandelmens the day we were leaving this past January. It was a bit small so I asked the sales lady if it could be sized, she said yes and asked when we were leaving, (that day)so I say I would have to do it in the states.

When I got back here, I took it to two reputable jewlers and they both told me the gold was NOT real and neither were the stones & they could not size it because of that fact. I was heartbroken. We don't have alot of money to buy jewlery, we are newlyweds (2yrs almost) and since we bought it on the island where we had our honeymoon, the ring meant alot to me. We are going back to the island with my family in January and are taking it back with the receipt & telling them what happend before we even check in to our hotel. I don't know if they'll help, all I want is for it to be sized so I can wear it, I don't want my money back, I just want to be able to wear it because as of right now I have a $125 ring just sitting in a box.

Sgroi135
08-01-2009, 09:23 AM
All I can say is buyer beware! My husband bought me what we thought and were told was a beautiful diamond and sapphire ring set in gold at Gandelmens the day we were leaving this past January. It was a bit small so I asked the sales lady if it could be sized, she said yes and asked when we were leaving, (that day)so I say I would have to do it in the states.

When I got back here, I took it to two reputable jewlers and they both told me the gold was NOT real and neither were the stones & they could not size it because of that fact. I was heartbroken. We don't have alot of money to buy jewlery, we are newlyweds (2yrs almost) and since we bought it on the island where we had our honeymoon, the ring meant alot to me. We are going back to the island with my family in January and are taking it back with the receipt & telling them what happend before we even check in to our hotel. I don't know if they'll help, all I want is for it to be sized so I can wear it, I don't want my money back, I just want to be able to wear it because as of right now I have a $125 ring just sitting in a box.

I am so sorry to hear about it. This is why I am hesitant buying jewelry from someone other than a place I know. Especially when it is thousands of miles away from home, can't just walk to the store and return it.

Andrea J.
08-01-2009, 11:26 AM
your situation with gandlemans is horrible.
have you been in communications with them?
do you still have your receipt and the appraisal that they gave you when you bought the ring?

when you go back to aruba, go armed with the paperwork.
also too, print out this thread so you can show them that you will state your dissatisfaction online.

hold the line and do not budge.

i would be so po'd that i would bring in a police officer with me and claim robbery!!
i would be standing outside the store with a sign saying Buyer Beware.

( i stood outside a vet's office with a sign saying THEY LOST MY GRANDMOTHER'S CAT. brought the cat in for spaying, went to pick it up and they tried to give me a replacement kitty instead....saying the cat died in surgery. I demanded the body which they could not produce..finally admitted that the cat escaped thru an open door i hope that i kept at least one new patient away. a friend did the same to a car dealership that pretty much held her hostage til she made the purchase. she was intimidated and they held her license. the consumer has power and should use it.)

deceit is terrible and you can and should make waves...........firmly, with class and politeness. follow thru !

ok i will get off my soapbox.

sorry:(
andrea

sunworshipperII
08-02-2009, 04:39 PM
When we were there in april my daughter wanted a sapphire ring, we were in a place called Germani maybe???? they have a store in the marriott ocean club too. anyway she saw this ring was in love with it but I kept saying it looked like a tanzanite well she couldn't make up her mind so they were going to give us a day to think about it, we were to pick it up at the marriott store. Well when the clerk opened the pouch and said "oh what a pretty tanzanite ring" I thought my daughter was going to die. Needless to say we didn't purchase it, she found a sapphire at Columbian Jewelers at the Marriott hotel that is gorgeous...and a true saphire.

Chadd
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
When we were there in april my daughter wanted a sapphire ring, we were in a place called Germani maybe???? they have a store in the marriott ocean club too. anyway she saw this ring was in love with it but I kept saying it looked like a tanzanite well she couldn't make up her mind so they were going to give us a day to think about it, we were to pick it up at the marriott store. Well when the clerk opened the pouch and said "oh what a pretty tanzanite ring" I thought my daughter was going to die. Needless to say we didn't purchase it, she found a sapphire at Columbian Jewelers at the Marriott hotel that is gorgeous...and a true saphire.
If she loved it, why did the type of stone make a difference?

Andrea J.
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
i think and i may be wrong that the point being made is deception or ignorance by the clerk or trust worthiness.

if i bought a tanzanite and was told it was a sapphire or vice versa, i would be unhappy and feel cheated.

just my opinion

andrea

If she loved it, why did the type of stone make a difference?

wnysnow
08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
My husband and I have dealt with Gandelman's for many years. Purchased many beautiful pieces and a Rolex watch. Needed an extra gold link for the watch a year ago, and they had a reputable jewelery repair shop upstairs and added the link before our eyes. This store sells high end jewelry! They are terrific!

Another winner in Aruba is Kays ! Great family business. They even sold my son his engagement ring, and the appraisal here was off the charts. Tell Ash that his friends from Elma, NY sent you.

Keep the Faith,
Susan:p:p:p

Kenny Maine
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
We use Noble Jewelers. We purchased a hearts on fire band and three loose diamonds made into a ring. Also purchase a beautiful tanzanite and emerald as well as some other smaller purchases. These are great. All have been appraised higher in the US.

mjn109
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Thank you all for your advice! And Andrea, thanks for getting on your soapbox because I am right up there with you!!

Honestly, it never crossed my mind to call Gandelmans from here when we discovered their dishonesty. And we also didn't think we were going back to the island any time soon until about two weeks ago when my mom started planning another family trip. So we are DEFINATELY going back to the store with the receipts in hand and going to demand them either size the ring so I can wear it as they originally stated the could, or give me my money back. I just want to be able to wear it because it means something both to my husband and I. We wonder now if they knew it was not genuine gold and that is why they said they could size it and didn't really reply when I said I would have to do it in the states?? just a thought my husband had...really unfortunate. Lesson Learned!

wnysnow-I am glad for you that you have had luck with them in the past and I do hope that continues for you ; )

Andrea J.
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
ok here is the "mom" in me speaking. ;)

i am being overbearing, bossy and pushy and i admit it right up front.:rolleyes:

Please do not let them size the ring.
Please get your money back.
you paid $ X for your ring and the stones were fake and the gold not real.
it also does not fit.
do it for all of us.
do it for you.
do it for me.
i want justice for you.

in my next next life (being a horse farmer is in my next life) i'd like to be a consumer or health care advocate.
:eek:
andrea

so
Thank you all for your advice! And Andrea, thanks for getting on your soapbox because I am right up there with you!!

Honestly, it never crossed my mind to call Gandelmans from here when we discovered their dishonesty. And we also didn't think we were going back to the island any time soon until about two weeks ago when my mom started planning another family trip. So we are DEFINATELY going back to the store with the receipts in hand and going to demand them either size the ring so I can wear it as they originally stated the could, or give me my money back. I just want to be able to wear it because it means something both to my husband and I. We wonder now if they knew it was not genuine gold and that is why they said they could size it and didn't really reply when I said I would have to do it in the states?? just a thought my husband had...really unfortunate. Lesson Learned!

wnysnow-I am glad for you that you have had luck with them in the past and I do hope that continues for you ; )

mjn109
08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Andrea, your "mom-like"post made me smile!;)

I definately hear what you are saying!! And the thought did cross my mind...since they did give us false information about the ring and I really was devastated (and I think DH might have been a little too) when the jewelers here in CT told us it wasn't real at all(I took it to two reputable ones)...we are just too trusting of people! Especially in our favorite place on Earth to be-Aruba!

Since we now know we are going back to Aruba, DH and I will talk about what to do with the ring and then present our case to the company & see what they say...trust me, they will not pull a fast one on us this time, we are on to them!!!!!

As I get older I have learned to stick up for myself and also for my husband if need be and won't let them or anyone else take advantage of us! All of the information you all have given us has also added to the confidence we have to take these people on when we get there!

Thank you all so much!! My husband will be home tonight (finally) after working 60hrs straight at the firehouse, so we are going to gather our records for the ring and figure it all out!:)

Sgroi135
08-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I agree with Andrea.

They tried to pull a fast one, they knew that it was not real, and that it could not be sized, or they would have done it for you. It only takes a short time to resize a gold ring.

Make them give you your money back. If they don't I would stand outside the store for a couple hours (yes my time) and tell each person that walks up to the store that they sell fake items as real.

Andrea, your "mom-like"post made me smile!;)

I definately hear what you are saying!! And the thought did cross my mind...since they did give us false information about the ring and I really was devastated (and I think DH might have been a little too) when the jewelers here in CT told us it wasn't real at all(I took it to two reputable ones)...we are just too trusting of people! Especially in our favorite place on Earth to be-Aruba!

Since we now know we are going back to Aruba, DH and I will talk about what to do with the ring and then present our case to the company & see what they say...trust me, they will not pull a fast one on us this time, we are on to them!!!!!

As I get older I have learned to stick up for myself and also for my husband if need be and won't let them or anyone else take advantage of us! All of the information you all have given us has also added to the confidence we have to take these people on when we get there!

Thank you all so much!! My husband will be home tonight (finally) after working 60hrs straight at the firehouse, so we are going to gather our records for the ring and figure it all out!:)

Andrea J.
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
SGROI and I will head to Aruba and take care of this situation.
Please email us our e-tickets.

Another person i would take with me is Sherry from visitaruba.......she is kind and persistent and by the time she finished with them, you'd own the store.;)

;)
andrea

Sgroi135
08-06-2009, 10:17 AM
SGROI and I will head to Aruba and take care of this situation.
Please email us our e-tickets.

Another person i would take with me is Sherry from visitaruba.......she is kind and persistent and by the time she finished with them, you'd own the store.;)

;)
andrea

LOL I'm In!

I am definitely opposite of Sherry! I might actually scare you a little! :)

Anthony

mjn109
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Andrea J & Sgroi135 I would love to send you to Aruba to fix this problem, trust me!!!

DH and I are going to bring the ring & paperwork to them when we get there in January and give them a chance to make the situation right. So sad that we have been mislead and once a sucker, not always a sucker since I am on to them now!!!!!!:D

mjn109
11-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Recently located the receipt from the purchase of the ring..

The item description is..

Jewelry-ringladies 14k 5 3 sapp 6pd

It's definately not 14 k gold and the sapphires are not real...as for the rest of the "description" I don't know what that all means...no mention as to whether the "diamonds" are real but I am 100% SURE we asked and were TOLD they were. Because it was a discounted item (which should have been our first clue), it is stamped as final sale. So no refund...but I am going to ask them size it as they said they could when we purchased it so all will not be lost in the end since all I really want is to wear it!

Thank you all for your advice...wish me luck in January 2010 when we get there.

mjn109
12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
My husband and I were just sitting sitting here watching TV and FexEx rang the bell, we both weren't expecting anything.

He read the waybill on the front and it said it was from Aruba...hmmm. Did one of iguanas get our address from something and send us a Christmas present?:rolleyes:

He opened it and it was from Gandelmans Jewelers stating that we had purchased some jewlery from them in the past and that it had come to their attention that some of it was of sub-quality and that if bring the ring to a local jeweler and find that to be true, and then we return it to them they will give us an exchange or a refund. Can you believe that?!

So he is going to call them and tell them that we have indeed brought the ring to to different stores and they both told me none of it was real and that we will be in Aruba in two weeks. We'll see what they say. We are just floored by this turn of events. As much as I LOVE the ring, I think I will return it, get our money back and then he can buy me something else at this point!:p

sunworshipperII
12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry never replied to Chadd, she loved the style of the ring...but wanted a sapphire ring and thought if the clerk mistook it for a tanzanite then when she got home nobody would believe it was a sapphire.... it all worked out she got a nice ring from colombian jewlers.

Andrea J.
12-20-2009, 07:43 AM
WOW Wonder if anyone from Gandlemans reads this forum?
they are a very reputable jeweler.

My husband and I were just sitting sitting here watching TV and FexEx rang the bell, we both weren't expecting anything.

He read the waybill on the front and it said it was from Aruba...hmmm. Did one of iguanas get our address from something and send us a Christmas present?:rolleyes:

He opened it and it was from Gandelmans Jewelers stating that we had purchased some jewlery from them in the past and that it had come to their attention that some of it was of sub-quality and that if bring the ring to a local jeweler and find that to be true, and then we return it to them they will give us an exchange or a refund. Can you believe that?!

So he is going to call them and tell them that we have indeed brought the ring to to different stores and they both told me none of it was real and that we will be in Aruba in two weeks. We'll see what they say. We are just floored by this turn of events. As much as I LOVE the ring, I think I will return it, get our money back and then he can buy me something else at this point!:p

bellmore
12-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi! It all depends what exactly you are looking for?? Few year back(6 to be exact), I have purchased a watch in Aruba(MSRP-in NYC) was $6700...Even with 20% discount ,that you can get for paying cash on 47 th street in NYC, -I paid only $3700.00 for it-that was a present for my own Birthday. And what else...in Aruba they have European design,that you won`t find in US.

mjn109
12-20-2009, 01:37 PM
That's the first thing I said Andrea J! We called too late on Friday to talk to anyone but my husband will call on his day off Tuesday and make arrangements. I am just so happy that they contacted us and that there is some justice because I was so devastated.

ragdoll
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Just a thought, you should get your money back because if it is not real gold it can not be re-sized.

mjn109
12-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Yes Ragdoll, I learned all that the hard way unfortunately, after taking it to two local jewelry stores. :( I am going to ask for my money back...the ring is so pretty and it actually meant alot to me when my husband bought it for me, sentimental from the get go, but now I am going to get my money back and he can buy me something authentic.:rolleyes:

FFgoo
12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I spoke with Gandlemans yesterday afternoon to clarify the issues with my wifes (MJN109) ring. Speaking with Rochelle, a very nice woman, she said she will be doing whatever she can to make this situation right, starting with a full refund on the ring. Of course in true Aruban fashion, the courtesy that was extended over the phone, including calling me back so I didnt have to pay higher rates, was phenomenal. I am glad that this is going to all come to a head in a little over a week. Will update this situation after we have been to Gandlemans and decided what we are going to do. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and guidance-this is a great forum!

Andrea J.
12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
it is a great forum indeed.
the members of this forum are helpful and kind.
one could not ask for a better community.

glad to hear that gandelmans has come through and lived up to their high reviews.
many folks will gladly shop at gandelmans due to their reputation.

enjoy aruba and safe travels.
andrea

cukiecutr
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
My fiance purchased my engagement ring at Kay's. We worked with Andy and narrowed it down to two different rings. They even gave us a gift certificate to madam Jeanettes and nice jewelry box. The ring is beautiful and they send the papers to you in the mail. When we return in July for the wedding, we will go back to Kay's to get our bands.

cindyo
12-23-2009, 03:04 PM
My fiance purchased my engagement ring at Kay's. We worked with Andy and narrowed it down to two different rings. They even gave us a gift certificate to madam Jeanettes and nice jewelry box. The ring is beautiful and they send the papers to you in the mail. When we return in July for the wedding, we will go back to Kay's to get our bands.

So glad you liked Kay's...we're also Andy clients and recommend him highly. Heck, every time we go to aruba we stop in, buy something, and get a coke.

mjn109
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
To be brief...we got our money back. We went to the downtown Gandelmans location, they knew nothing of our situation, even with the letter explaining the situation. After searching the store for something that I might like, decided to get our money back...I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach the entire time we were there. The "manager" gave my husband a bit of a hard time when he asked to speak to the woman who sent us the letter, the manager claiming that she didn't know how to get in touch with her. But we got our money back just the same.

Life lesson learned...if it seems too good to be true, it PROBABLY is!

sunworshipperII
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Soooo true.

FFgoo
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Gandlemans-what a dissapointment! I can't believe I went through a very nice conversation with a supervisor there and when we arrived got treated like crap. I am sure some of it had to be because the staff knew nothing of the problem my wife and I had run into, but I would have thought that if junk jewelery was sold that the staff SHOULD know. Especially if a patron was coming back to the store with it to find a new piece of jewelry to replace it with. Instead we were hurried up, given no REAL assistance and ushered out the door as if we were an inconvienance. I know that the Gandlemans name is well known throughout the Carribean, however my wife and I will never step foot in there again-it really is too bad because my wife suffered emotionally and that hurts me just as much.

purpleangel
01-12-2010, 09:11 AM
MJN - glad it worked out for you!

mjn109
01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks so much purpleangel! Not exactly as we had hoped, but money back is just as good in the end! LOL

Sgroi135
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I am always scared to by expensive things away from home. They rely on you buying something, and knowing that you will never come back to exchange it, or you will most likely be WAY outside the return period.

When i was at the Radisson, I did look in the jewelry store there, but it was really a NY based store that was there, so for me, if it were cheaper, I could always fight the battle at home, if needed!

mjn109
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Sgroi135---so very true, I kind of think that might have been the stores initial plan (at least in my mind)-that we would buy it, leave-since we told them we were leaving in just a few hours, and then be screwed in the end. But then they tried to make it right, since I sort of "slammed" their reputation on the board, then it went sour again...argh, oh well. Again, life lesson learned!:o

Deb
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I've had some good experiences ... bought a Tag watch at 30% off the US Retail price at Little Switzerland. Also bought a David Yurman ring 30% off the US Retail price at a jewelry store in the Renaissance Mall (I forgot the name of the place). Both authentic ... I actually went to the nearby internet cafe prior to the purchase to verify whether I was getting good deals. My strategy may only work on branded items. Good luck.

peapod
04-04-2010, 09:47 AM
My husband and I have bought jewelry in Aruba almost everytime we go. We have made friends with a couple of the people in the shops. I think we always got a great deal. You have to look at what you buy though, ask them to see the diamond with the magnifier to see any inclusions.
Pearl Gems downtown is one of my favorite shops. We have purchased several items.Ask for Orlando if you go. Very professional and great customer service. All types of stones and pearls as well. Also Noble jewelry has great service. Ask for Nevin, tell him Mike and Wendy sent you!
Also great gold at Colombian Emeralds. Report back on what you purchase if you do!

Linda VH
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
We buy from Sean Jewelers. If you are looking for something specific and describe it to them Sean or Paul will make it for you. I saw a ring in Grand Cayman that I wanted but they would not come down on the price and it was too high for what the ring was so......DH says wait til we get to Aruba and we'll have one made. Just picked it up yesterday and it is MUCH nicer than the one in GC.

Shnyda
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
You can get a pretty good deal on watches - but like someone said. Do your research!

Divibound
04-08-2010, 08:53 PM
We have shopped at Larry's in downtown O'stad for several years, and we have had no issues with the quality or price. Have come home and spoken to local jeweler and have always done well with the price. I buy jewelry because I like the look of the piece and I am not looking at it as an investment.

lizzardo
04-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Divi said:
I buy jewelry because I like the look of the piece and I am not looking at it as an investment.

I think that's the only way you can approach jewelry. When I got
divorced I had a nice engagement ring which was pricey - tried
to sell it and just got low ball prices everywhere. Jewelry is not something
you can use as a nest egg. I also would be really hesitant about
investment grade diamonds because I think you really have to know
your stuff to evaluate if it's a good deal or not. I think it falls into
the coins/stamps category - you buy at the high price and can only
sell at the low. Again unless you really know what you are doing.

Linda VH
04-09-2010, 01:08 PM
There are a number of people in the States, at least, that will take something like your engagement ring and make another piece of jewelry with it.

lizzardo
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah - but since it was from previous marriage - I just wanted to get rid of it! :)

Linda VH
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I hear ya!:D

amarg
08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Ok I am really really late to this discussion and I wonder what happened to the newly wedded lady who bought a fake diamond and sapphire ring. However, if it's too good to be true, it usually is and if you read her first post she states "I have a $125 ring sitting in a box that I can't wear." I have never seen a real diamond and sapphire ring set in gold for that price even in India where my family is from and we've traveled to many many times. I agree it's wrong to deceive customers but I also agree with buyer beware and the buyer has a responsibility to know to the best of their ability, what they're getting into. Sometimes I look at our economic troubles, the mortgage crisis, credit card debts, and bankruptcy filing rate, etc., and honestly believe that a huge part of the problem in our society is that everyone wants something for nothing or next to nothing.
I don't mean to offend as I'm guilty of it as well. I've learned some hard lessons getting ripped off. Also, I myself came upon this thread hoping to find cheap jewelry in Aruba but now I'm rethinking buying there. The whole issue is that if something is wrong, the store is thousands of miles away. I'm already upset that I went shopping in
Buffalo yesterday and discovered back home in Toronto that Burberry forgot to take the giant alarm tags off my daughter's dress. No one will remove it here thinking it's stolen and I don't want to chance putting a whole in it. Now I have to call them and drive all the way back there and show the receipts (thank god I was honest and still have them instead of tossing to avoid border duty and taxes). What a pain! Imagine having a mistake made in
Aruba? I think I'll pass.

mjn109
08-24-2010, 10:14 AM
The original price of the ring was much higher so I believed what the sales person told me.

amarg
08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I really hope i didnt offend you, thats not my intent. However, did you think it was at all odd that a diamond and sapphire ring was only $125? I have thought about it since last night and can see being caught up in the moment and romance of Aruba and thereby being more susceptible to a con. I apologize if I've put my foot in my mouth.
So how did it all turn out? Did you get a new ring? Your money back? How can they get away with this? Yours is not the first jewelry scam story I've read in regards to shopping in the Carribean and it's almost as though these retailers rely on the fact that tourists are going home and therefore by the time they discover the scam, too late.

Andrea J.
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
maybe mjn can explain further.
they did not pay $125 for the ring.
they paid much more.

they got all of their money back /full refund.

HeyMiss
08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I have a number of items from Sean's...and they do well with descriptions and making jewelry for you. Have some 'designer' pieces from them as well. I always get them my jewelry appraised back in the States and have always been satisfied. John Hardy can be found at Diamonds Int'l at reasonable rates too. My wedding band is from Shiva's which has a great selection.

Arubalisa
08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Tips of the Trade:Authenticating Gold and Diamonds (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/tips/goldanddiamonds.html)

Do not buy diamonds which are not Diamond/Moissanite Tested (http://www.igem.com/diamond-moissanite-testers.html)
Do not buy gold unless it is stamped OR the jeweler will allow you to do a scratch test ;) Good luck with that last part. :p

Seriously, especially when you are in a foreign country, if the gold is not stamped you would need to take the gold to a jeweler to have it certified that it is gold. It is just easier to buy a stamped piece to begin with. If you do not see the stamp and the jeweler says there is one, ask them to show you were it is on the piece. If it is tiny, any reputable jeweler will have a loop that you can borrow.

Personally I would not buy any diamond unless it were tested in front of me AND came with a certificate from either the (http://www.truthaboutdiamonds.com/truth-about/diamond-certificates-gia-ags-igi-hrd-egl/)GIA, AGS, EGL, IGI, HRD (http://www.truthaboutdiamonds.com/truth-about/diamond-certificates-gia-ags-igi-hrd-egl/)

I am sure others can add suggestions as well. :)

mjn109
08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
The ring was marked down considerably when we bought it. Being young & naive to purchasing jewelry, we thought it was an OK deal, trusting the salesperson. My husband and I felt that this purchase would be something near and dear to us because we bought it in Aruba, where we honeymooned. I honestly didn't care if it was real in the end, I just wanted to be able to wear it and couldn't because we were deceived by the store of the fact that it could be sized to fit. That's what hurt us the most.

When I compared it to my wedding ring, which I of course know is genuine, I did notice the color of the gold-I have always worn gold, I am not silver girl really. But I just thought, well, it's from another country maybe that's why after all I am not an expert.

All in all, it really wasn't the cost that made it so horrible, it was the deception. And when we went back to rectify the situation, even after the store was the one to contact us initially about the fraudulent piece, they treated us like dirt. Said they knew nothing about the letter and that they would not contact the woman who sent it to us. Only after my husband insisted upon borrowing the phone so he could call her, they gave in and called her. It was decided that I would look around for something else. I did find a necklace in the case that I was interested in seeing the salesperson who was initially "helping" us was waiting on a man buying a Rollex and blatently ignoring us. As was the rest of the staff. I had to walk out of the store while my husband got our money back or I was going to lose my cool. Never again. I sincerely hope no one bought one of those rings at full price because they definately did get taken for a ride.

amarg
08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
As for Seans Jeweler's, I recently reach a thread on this forum and another outlining an awful experience. The customer was sold a flawed diamond with a chip in it and went through all sorts of nonsense to get their money back. It just seems risky to purchase expensive jewelry in Aruba.
If a person pays by credit card and are defrauded, can they get satisfaction through the credit card company? Can the charge be disputed?

Andrea J.
08-25-2010, 06:05 PM
this particular situation has been resolved by seans jewelers.
the stone was fractured. ring was replaced by a bigger and more valuable ring.

there was a trade in towards the purchase price of the new ring that is why there was an issue with a refund as well as seans claimed "buyer remorse".

but, don't take my word on the whole thing.........read the thread
http://www.aruba.com/forum/f37/buyer-beware-seans-jewelers-44773/

and re: mjn's situation, you may want to go back and read this one from the beginning.:)

As for Seans Jeweler's, I recently reach a thread on this forum and another outlining an awful experience. The customer was sold a flawed diamond with a chip in it and went through all sorts of nonsense to get their money back. It just seems risky to purchase expensive jewelry in Aruba.
If a person pays by credit card and are defrauded, can they get satisfaction through the credit card company? Can the charge be disputed?

Arubalisa
08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
If a person pays by credit card and are defrauded, can they get satisfaction through the credit card company?

Can the charge be disputed?

THAT would be a question for your credit card company.

Also just because you dispute a charge it does not always mean that you will receive satisfaction. ;)

Andrea J.
08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
thread closed