PDA

View Full Version : Bus from the airport?

beachpoker
11-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi,

We're staying at the Marriott Surf Club.

Do busses run from the airport downtown, or even better, to the beach hotels?

Thanks!

cindyo
11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Depalm has busses that bring arrivals to the hotels. Don't know if you used a travel agent but if you did get transfers from them.

Andrea J.
11-04-2009, 07:50 AM
from what i understand there are PUBLIC buses that run near the airport

that being said, they do not drive onto the airport property, make the loop do pick ups/drop offs and back out to the main road.

so if one were going to take the bus from the airport to downtown, one would have to haul themself and their luggage across the airport parking lot and out to the main drag to the bus stop.

not ideal.

there are private "shuttle buses" that are well used and very popular with the tourists

islandj
11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I wouldent do the bus with baggage, I was told its like 25bucks to go from the airport to marriot in a taxi. That might be the way to go.

Liz - Aruba Lover
11-04-2009, 10:31 AM
From the airport, transportation to your hotel is $20.40 per person with De Palm Tours. If you are 2 people that's $40.80. It will be less expensive to take a taxi to the Marriott as taxi fares are per taxi, not per person. Plus a taxi will be much faster, as with the bus you will have to wait while the drive loads up everyones luggage and you would have to stop on the way to drop-off at the hotels before your stop. Taxis do charge an extra $3.00 per taxi (not per person) on Sundays and Aruban holidays.

Sunny Beaches
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Welcome, Scroll down this same page to Bully, he is the best taxi server on the island, all taxi's cost the same,(set by government) there are like 10 pages of referrals, & I'll bet you do not find 1 unhappy camper! taxi's can only carry 5 people at a time, he has vans,(uncles,brothers,cousins also have them) btw 2 people is the same cost as 5.

xobxdoc
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I tried a couple years ago to get on the public bus to go downtown with luggage. The driver would not let me on with the luggage.

Jarubian
11-04-2009, 02:24 PM
For your convinience, piece of mind, and enjoy the beginning of your vacation, I would just get a taxi cab, especially Bully or any of is relatives, but again taxi are all the same price.

beachpoker
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
This is a great forum. You all are so helpful. There will be at least 6 of us, so I hope we can split a van/taxi.

Again, glad to find you all.

Liz - Aruba Lover
11-04-2009, 03:55 PM
This is a great forum. You all are so helpful. There will be at least 6 of us, so I hope we can split a van/taxi.

Again, glad to find you all.

By law, the maximum amount of people in a taxi is 5 persons maximum even if it a van. You will need 2 taxies which still would be less money than taking bus shuttle transportation.

arubaerin
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
We always take a taxi from the airport much cheaper and quicker. I have taken the bus around to town and to Arashi beach. It is inexpensive and the buses run frequently. probably about every 15 20 minutes one goes by! Have fun!

TEAMARUBA
11-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Taxi is definitely the way to go, most bus transfers(Depalm), will take much longer depending on if you are going to low or high rise areas. Best advantage is that you will definitely beat the rush and sometimes caos associated with initial check in.

Meenie
12-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Do the resorts have shuttles to pick you up from the airport and bring you back?

Arubalisa
12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Do the resorts have shuttles to pick you up from the airport and bring you back?
No, none of them do. I believe when I once inquired as to why not, I was told it was against the law. Keeps the taxi drivers in business for sure. ;) :)

TomFrederick
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
>>> "There will be at least 6 of us,
---- Rates and regulations are set by the government. Only 5 per van. So must take 2.
>>> "Do the resorts have shuttles to pick you up from the airport"
---- Nope. Cabs in Aruba are everywhere. They are waiting at the airport, waiting at big resorts, waiting at the food markets, on call to all the restaurants, ....... From any place or business one can be called if none waiting. One year went to a restaurant way out past the airport. Cab driver said have the restaurant people call him at home when finished as he lived around the corner.

Winnie
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
My hubby & I arriving on Saturday, 3/27 around 2:30ish and was thinking of doing the public bus from the airport to the Renaissance Hotel or should we do a taxi there. the difference is $1.25 for the bus & $15.00 for a cab,

I would love to get feedback good or bad.

Thanks in advance!;)

Andrea J.
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
my feedback is NO bus.... take taxi the taxis DO NOT have to be reserved ahead of time and they are lined up ready to take you to your resort once you step out of the airport. they will be on your left.

re: the bus
it is hot and tiring hauling luggage thru the parking lot and out onto the road to where the bus stops.

if it is a financial issue, then you do what works financially best for you.

Liz - Aruba Lover
03-17-2010, 09:23 PM
To take a public bus, you would have to walk out to the main road. I wouldn't recommend it with pulling luggage and standing waiting in the heat could be unbearable. Taxi's have gone up. From the airport to downtown, the new taxi fare is $17.00 up from $13.00 before the new fares went into effect last September. If a Aruba holiday or on a Sunday, fares are another $3.00 per taxi.

Bill
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree!!! Take a taxi then bus the rest of the vacation, Thats what we do.

Sunny Beaches
03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Also remember taxi's are a flat rate for 1 or 5 people, same price. If you want special service, there's a ton on people on this board that use Bully.
bullytaxi79@hotmail.com (bullytaxi79@hotmail.com)

corona
03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
You might be lucky and meet another couple who want to share a cab to the Ren, if that's allowed. Also, don't underestimate the value of a chatty cab driver. I'm sure they tell the same stories over and over, but I've never met a driver who wasn't eager to tell us some really cool stories about Aruba sprinkled with a few Aruba insider tips. Well worth the extra ten or so dollars, let alone the the major convenience of a cab rather than the bus.

lrealnurse
03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I agree!!! Take a taxi then bus the rest of the vacation, Thats what we do.

Hi Bill,
I see that you said that you take the bus around the Island. can you tell me where the bus goes. The reason why I am asking is because when we go to bermuda, we ride the bus all around the Island, one can really go anywhere on the island by bus. This is my first time to Aruba and we want to take the bus as much as we can. Any and all information would be great.

thanks
Lisa

xobxdoc
03-19-2010, 08:28 AM
They won't let you on the bus with luggage. I tried doing this from LaCabana to the airport a few years ago and the bus driver wouldn't let me on.

Andrea J.
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
good point
luggage takes up space
space that is needed for passengers

They won't let you on the bus with luggage. I tried doing this from LaCabana to the airport a few years ago and the bus driver wouldn't let me on.

Bill
03-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi Bill,
I see that you said that you take the bus around the Island. can you tell me where the bus goes. The reason why I am asking is because when we go to bermuda, we ride the bus all around the Island, one can really go anywhere on the island by bus. This is my first time to Aruba and we want to take the bus as much as we can. Any and all information would be great.

thanks
Lisa

It will take you from the High rise area to down town. Someone has a picture of the route that they posted a while ago.

hdaruba
03-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I like riding the bus. You kinda get the feel for the island and the people.

Bill
03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Funny story, when DW and I first started to take the bus a strange event happened. We missed our stop so we decided to stay on and loop around. To our surprise everyone but one girl got off, the driver went down some dirt road and up a hill to a vacant area (Thought it was part of the route). Park turned off the light she jumped on his lap. I hated to do it but I had to let them know they had an audience. never forget that one.

MikeM
03-20-2010, 10:51 AM
That is a great story. Part of the Island you thought you wouldn't see...

nkordell
03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Contact Bully or Johnny (He works for Bully). They will be available to you anytime you need them during your stay.

Winnie
03-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it. I think we are going the taxi route. I have to email Bully too!!! =)

paulmorin
03-24-2010, 07:50 AM
I know of several incidents when travelers with luggage were not allowed on the bus. Scrap that idea.