PDA

View Full Version : why are flights to aruba so expensive?

fattypatty
12-22-2009, 10:56 AM
any thoughts? from jfk to aua = average $500+

from jfk to other Caribbean islands are about $350+

Linda VH
12-22-2009, 11:04 AM
The more popular the destination, the more expensive the ticket.

fattypatty
12-22-2009, 11:31 AM
The more popular the destination, the more expensive the ticket.

but surely the islands are as popular as aruba is. no? i just can't understand why they're so much more expensive. paying $500+ is a lot, considering the room rates are also on the higher end compared to the other islands. i guess that's why aruba is so safe - everyone visiting is somewhat wealthy per se.

Tom and Stanley
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
This is why I fly during the week. I can usually get a round trip from Boston for about $400.00 non-stop. Once in a while I find a cheapy for about $300.00 round trip. Weekends are just out of the question. They got you and they know it. . . . .

Tom and Stanley

Andrea J.
12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
imo and i may be wrong.....aruba is the most popular of the caribbean islands.

the reason the flights are as expensive as they are is because the demand for air warrants the price. (folks are willing to pay the fare for such a great destination. also too, the airlines knows that many of us are "married/locked in" to their timeshares and again, the demand for those air seats dictates the price of the seat/flight.

i do not think the visitors are particularly wealthy. maybe some of course, but many others use their timeshares or rental of timeshares and cook and eat in.

aruba definitely has a reputation of being safe and that causes some/many to visit aruba as opposed to acapulco, cancun, dominican republic or jamaica. in aruba one can leave their resort and feel comfortably safe.

the folks flying from the northeast always seem to have the better selection and the better fares than the folks traveling from other parts of the country.

in prior postings i think that you have mentioned that you exclusively fly jet blue to aruba. i have found that jet blue is a lttle too pricey for my wallet and AA typically has more reasonable fares.

in 33+ aruba trips dh and i have only paid over $500 each once, and most of the time we are in the $400 pp range. also too, we find that 8 or 10 years ago the flights were just as high as they are today.

one of our members, works for an airline, and he seems to think that the fares to these vacation destinations are fairly priced or even underpriced.

have a good holiday
andrea
but surely the islands are as popular as aruba is. no? i just can't understand why they're so much more expensive. paying $500+ is a lot, considering the room rates are also on the higher end compared to the other islands. i guess that's why aruba is so safe - everyone visiting is somewhat wealthy per se.

fattypatty
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
for some reason jetblue has now come to dominate the northeast corridor flights to aruba. american has retrench drastically from this route - at least from jfk they have. american doesn't offer direct flights from nyc anymore during the weekdays - but only on sat/sun. after jetblue cornered the route here, they've slowly raised their prices every year. they were once the cheapest....now they are one of the most expensive. i just paid 174 (departing) and 234 (return) + 80 tax for a 10 day thur-sat traveling in mid june.......a few years ago that would cost me 400 or less.

perhaps, i shouldn't be complaining.....aruba is an hour further than the other islands.

trying to move the family breaks the buck....

Andrea J.
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
re: moving the family breaking the bank!
yes indeed.
our son has not traveled with us to aruba since christmas 2007 and prior to that was in 2004.
now that he is grown and on his own it is just paul and me.
considerably less expensive than paying for kevin and girlfriend (now wife).
i do not envy those days of buying 4, r/t tickets.

qlaval
12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
You can add to the equation that Aruba is much farter to the south compare to the other Caribbean destinations in consequence the added cost of fuel is a major factor.

arubamark
12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't believe it's because it's the most popular place traveled to. Cancun and the Bahamas have many more travelers so I don't believe that's why the air is more expensive. Maybe to keep some of the rift raft out? Also it is one of the furthest south islands so it costs more in fuel. Just some thoughts.

All I know is whenever I talk to friends or people we meet it seems like Bahamas, Mexico, and Jamaica are the most common places traveled to. You will here Aruba once in a while especially for a honeymoon.

rob o
12-23-2009, 07:37 PM
i guess that's why aruba is so safe - everyone visiting is somewhat wealthy per se.

What makes Aruba safe is not the income of visitors.....bad people come in all income brackets.

What makes Aruba safe is the quality of the Aruban people.

Why is it expensive to fly to Aruba? Market conditions.....they charge what people will pay.

Shnyda
12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
The $100 or more in departure taxes for Aruba add to the price of that ticket. Other islands are lower in fees.

Arubalisa
12-31-2009, 12:23 PM
The $100 or more in departure taxes for Aruba add to the price of that ticket. Other islands are lower in fees.
"The departure tax for Aruba is US $36.75 to the USA (It is usually included in the purchased airline ticket). For all other destinations, the departure tax is US $33.50." http://www.aruba.com/ExploretheIsland/TravelInfo/airportinfo.aspx (http://www.aruba.com/ExploretheIsland/TravelInfo/airportinfo.aspx)

Imo, pricing is supply and demand. You can fly to Aruba from many other places in the states cheaper than you can from Atlanta. In Atlanta, Delta was the only air carrier flying non-stop.

When Air Tran offered their introductory air fare pricing for their Saturday only non-stop flights which commenced 12/19, Delta matched pricing. Post sale, the fare on Delta returned to it's customary $550 - $620 range.

Air Tran right now off season is $426 roundtrip. Downside, can only fly Saturday to Saturday. 7 night for our family is just not enough time on the island, 14 nights hotel is just a bit too expensive. :(

Chadd
01-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Aruba has fairly inelastic demand compared to a lot of other islands, hence the higher price. It is the most re-visited island in the Caribbean, people come back year after year. If the airlines were having problems filling seats you would see lower prices to stimulate the market.

The income levels of the visitors isn't even remotely relevant, as wealth will frequently attract/create a local criminal element.

All of that said, $500 isn't bad for 4000 miles of flying (NYC - Aruba) a lot of people spend close to that per night for their hotels.

Mr. Ratt
01-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Wow.... you folks are complaining about $500+, and my Lady and I just booked for a week, and you know, you got it pretty good at the prices you're getting.
Don't let the idea that you're from the Northeast make any difference in your pricing. We just laid out over 2G each.... so when does it get inexpensive?
Granted, we are talking AI and not flight only, however, flight only is still over 1G.

We have the option, as anyone does, of putting together our own little package through one of the online travel sites like expedia, but that adds up even more.
We have the option of 2, count 'em, 2 agencies that supply packages to Aruba, and needless to say, the one we didn't go with was considerably more pricey.

Why is it so much more expensive? Who knows?
Exclusivity?
Not really... anyone can go as long as you can scrape up the cash to get there.

We wish it were less expensive as well (who wouldn't?) but I guess it makes the trip all the more worth while... something to really strive for.

Or, we could just go someplace else, less expensive, less (perhaps) enjoyable.

Happy New Year folks....

Pattyt
05-02-2016, 07:14 AM
Aruba has fairly inelastic demand compared to a lot of other islands, hence the higher price. It is the most re-visited island in the Caribbean, people come back year after year. If the airlines were having problems filling seats you would see lower prices to stimulate the market.

The income levels of the visitors isn't even remotely relevant, as wealth will frequently attract/create a local criminal element.

All of that said, $500 isn't bad for 4000 miles of flying (NYC - Aruba) a lot of people spend close to that per night for their hotels.

Fast Forward to 2016, JetBlue direct non-stop from BOS to AUA is $1900 PP round trip. Must be the gas prices?

AndyM
05-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Fast Forward to 2016, JetBlue direct non-stop from BOS to AUA is $1900 PP round trip. Must be the gas prices?

You don't have to pay anywhere near that amount for a R/T from Boston. We go every year at peak times (Jan/Feb) and never pay more that $600 PP. You have to be patient and check prices daily.

angelone
05-02-2016, 11:29 AM
I think it could be a little the gas prices but I really think it's simply economics Supply and Demand.

~Amy~®
05-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Definitely supply and demand - and if there is any airline competition in your market. The key to getting good airfares (to anywhere) is to be very flexible with your dates and check airfares almost every day.

Aruba4ever
05-02-2016, 12:18 PM
It is 100% supply and demand setting the prices.

schexc
05-02-2016, 02:15 PM
We fly a one stop from Syracuse, NY and haven't paid more than $435 pp our last seven trips. We usually go in March and October. Currently prices are in then$455 range for next March. I will grab a couple as soon as the price drops below my threshold of pain.

angelone
05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
I paid $535.00pp only because my wife want to go to Aruba direct on the way down so Jet Blue down @ $301.00 and American Airlines back @ 234.00. out of Boston. Dick.

Pattyt
05-05-2016, 07:13 AM
I paid $535.00pp only because my wife want to go to Aruba direct on the way down so Jet Blue down @ $301.00 and American Airlines back @ 234.00. out of Boston. Dick.

JetBlue Direct flight non-stop BOS to AUA round trip $987 per person flight 773 and 774 today 5/5/16. Unless you don't mind sitting around on a layover, these people have it sewed up.

vallond
05-05-2016, 07:35 AM
I gather that the high price in airfare to and from Aruba would be based on factors such as:
Time of Year( during the peak time vs the slow time).
Flying direct vs making connecting flights, my aunt and her family normally fly out of JFK and they tend to take connecting flights to Aruba by way of Orlando, Charlotte, etc.
Based on the day of the week when you travel, weekends vs weekdays.

For me getting to and from Aruba involves connecting through Curacao, for a while the only way to get to and from Curacao was with Suriname Airways with a connecting flight via Insel Air to Aruba. As of 2014 with the resumption of flight operations by Insel Air I now have another option, and in good time too as Suriname Airways has been increasing the price of round trip tickets from T&T to Curacao, Insel's price is really quite reasonable(under $350.00 US) which covers both the flight to Curacao and connecting flight to Aruba.

Jacki
05-05-2016, 08:02 AM
I paid $456, but have a connector in Orlando. I'd much rather fly direct, but the price was just too much for me to justify.

Aruba4ever
05-05-2016, 07:06 PM
I paid around $675 for our upcoming August trip for direct out of Boston. Its way more than I wanted to spend for 3 people but I am glad I booked when I did because that is now around $800pp for the same trip now.

Sue M.
06-06-2016, 11:25 AM
We paid $626.00 with American airlines from Columbus Oh cheapest flight. We do have to change planes in Charlotte, I booked our flight in Jan. This is for our July 2 trip. I was hoping Southwest was going to be cheaper because it is a direct flight but was much more expensive, in fact I just checked the other day and American was $634.00 and Southwest was $925.0 R/T. We all like to find a great deal but that is not always possible and I love Aruba.

Retagger
06-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Anyone from Boston ever drive down to Newark and fly from here? I just paid $320.oo per person for a direct flight to Aruba on United Airlines. It might be worth it to rent a car, drive down, spend the night at one of the hotels by the airport and have a great Portuguese dinner at one of our famous restaurants.

cpjones
06-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Anyone from Boston ever drive down to Newark and fly from here? I just paid $320.oo per person for a direct flight to Aruba on United Airlines. It might be worth it to rent a car, drive down, spend the night at one of the hotels by the airport and have a great Portuguese dinner at one of our famous restaurants.

I admire the idea, but I could never be convinced that the drive thru NYC and 4 hour drive time wouldn't absolutely wrack my nerves.... regardless of the savings!

glynis
06-06-2016, 10:39 PM
We paid this time with KLM which I though was reasonable as I have e paid more £750 each ...KLM never lower there prices at all.
no offers plus it's the same if you go for a week or 4 ,depending on the time of year....

JackieK
06-09-2016, 05:06 PM
After booking my Aruba trip, I had to book airfair. That was a shock. I waited and waited with flights not yet showing for my travel dates in Feb. I usually fly Spirit and I do have Spirit miles. They do have Aruba routes. Well low and behold the flights are loaded. I can leave from Fort Lauderdale. Although Spirit only flies on Saturdays to Aruba I got a great fare. I did use alot of points ( which I had just sitting there) Even if I didn't use the points it would have been reasonable. Using points with each of us having a checked bag it was under 300$ round trip for 2!!! I was so excited and can not wait to visit Aruba for the first time.

Andrea J.
06-09-2016, 05:10 PM
welcome to the aruba.com community forum

After booking my Aruba trip, I had to book airfair. That was a shock. I waited and waited with flights not yet showing for my travel dates in Feb. I usually fly Spirit and I do have Spirit miles. They do have Aruba routes. Well low and behold the flights are loaded. I can leave from Fort Lauderdale. Although Spirit only flies on Saturdays to Aruba I got a great fare. I did use alot of points ( which I had just sitting there) Even if I didn't use the points it would have been reasonable. Using points with each of us having a checked bag it was under 500$ round trip for 2!!! I was so excited and can not wait to visit Aruba for the first time.