PDA

View Full Version : Heightened Security at Queen Beatrix Airport

Andrea J.
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Leave xtra time when departing Aruba

Due to the incident in the air over Detroit on Christmas Day

All carry ons will be searched

All/if not most passengers departing Aruba will experience increased security measures and there have been pat downs.

remember too, (and i find this unbelievable)
passengers are NOT allowed to leave their airline seat during the last hour of flight, not allowed to have ANYTHING in laps, no pillow/blanket during the last hour either, no reaching into overhead or leaving seat, no monitoring flight for last hour on the seat back tvs :doh::eek:

Andrea J.
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I got this email from Arubalisa who is still in Aruba

, "received this
| from my Mom today re: their departing flight yesterday.
|
| "new rules - you h ave to submit your carry on and pocket
| book for search at the gate - and then they pat you down at
| the gate - so be prepared""

DANNYO
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
:doh:Next thing the airlines will say is that no carry on luggage is allowed....Think about it an extra $25 per bag..Im all for safety but there has to be a better way....:eek:.Maybe we should all be naked on the plane.:eek:..that would be funny.....NOT:eek:

Andrea J.
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
if we have to be naked for flight, i will begin the fundraiser for the BIG LONG bridge to aruba.

Andrea J.
12-28-2009, 10:32 PM
from American Airline's website:
Increased Airport Security Screening

Increased Airport Security Screening from any non-U.S. location TO the United States:
For all flights departing from any non-U.S. location TO the United States, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued new security screening measures. This measure is in addition to the normal screening that all passengers must complete to enter secured areas. All passengers should plan to arrive at the airport at least three (3) hours in advance of their flight departure to allow extra time for check-in and the boarding process.

ragdoll
12-29-2009, 12:31 AM
From Toronto airport you are only allowed one piece to carry on, soon it will be none.

lizzardo
12-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Here is the TSA announcement. no clarity on what is going on - but
I understand it varies from airport to airport. Many people are flying
back to Aruba and getting in for the New Year's celebration. Will
let you know more when I hear it.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm

Andrea J.
12-29-2009, 08:39 AM
ragdoll is the one carryon the same as prior to the detroit incident?
since the events of Sept 11 or since the events of that shoe bomber, we are allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal item. typically for us the personal items are our laptops and the carry on is a daypack or a small rolling pilot bag.

pretty sad that our world has come to this isn't it.

and i do have to say your avator is beautiful.
is that your child?

From Toronto airport you are only allowed one piece to carry on, soon it will be none.

Arubalisa
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Returned late yesterday afternoon from Aruba.

Delta has always permitted just one carry on as well as a bag such as a purse or computer bag.

Security at Reina Beatrix was like I have never seen in 19 visits to the island.

1. When they say get to the airport 3 hours prior to your flight, do it. Why take the chance?
We stood in line for 20+ minutes just waiting to get to the FIRST document verification BEFORE going through Aruba Immigration.
US immigration had only 2 windows open (one addtional for VIP's & crew members). Other US officials were at the gate areas.

2. US Customs were roaming the gate area with detector dogs.
The dog spent a good amount of time on my camera bag until he was redirected. The scent of all of our cats must have been to the dog's liking. ;)

3. Boarding- expect long lines.
Upon being called for boarding you will be asked to place your carry on and any addtional items on a table for hand inspection. In Aruba the inspection was done by a private security firm as well as gate personnel with a Customs official overseeing the operation.
Each and every carry on, purse, etc. were emptied, searched and then re-packed. Most if not all items spread out in the search were opened and inspected further.
For example:
I carry a sun glass case holding not only the glasses but cleaning cloth and prescription for the lens. The eye glass case was opened, sunglasses removed and case searched.
Also in my purse is a small pouch with spare sets of house and car keys as well as a container of Tylenol and OTC sinus tablets. Everything was removed from the pouch and then replaced. As you can imagine, this is all very very time consuming.
Dh's carry on had all of the Christmas presents (think valuables not fit for packing in suitcases). He was the last person to board the plane. :o It took him an hour at the hotel to fit everything in "just right" so that it fit. It took him and the inspector both to get everything back in randomly just so that it fit.

4. Physical "pat down" search.
No wands, just hands of the inspector. This is the last step before heading down the jet way.

Planning on traveling to Aruba with "just" a carry on? Be prepared for lots of wrinkles. ;) Inspectors really tried to do their best but watching the line of people for the Delta flight prior to ours, inspectors trying to do a good job and satisfying the numerous passenger complaints (yes there were plenty) just cannot do it all perfectly.

Welcome to a new world.

Delta boards by zones. There were two Delta flight departing yesterday. The full flight departed an hour late. Yes it takes THAT long for boarding inspections. Our flight was virtually empty so departed only 15 minutes late. Our flight arrived in Atlanta early but had to sit on the tarmac waiting for our assigned gate to clear. The jet there was late in departing.

After witnessing what we saw yesterday, to do it all over again, travel with as few carry ons as possible and minimize anything you are bringing aboard.

mjn109
12-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much Arubalisa and everyone else for all your information, it definately puts things into a new perspective...we are leaving thru JFK on Saturday. I guess we will be at the airport wicked early-thank you underwear bomber!

While I DEFINATELY agree that it is WAY better to be safe than sorry, it does make me grumble just a little to wait just a little longer to get to paradise!;)

damnyankeeuk
12-31-2009, 03:06 AM
I remember in 1970, flying to Itqaly from Boston via Frankfurt. We had to deplane, and go through security including a "complete" patdown by armed German security forces. It's all part of trying to make the world safe from airline terrorists.

They have new scanners that can look right through your clothes, that would negate the need for patdowns, but the US seems reluctant to put them into use.

I would think it would, at the very least, make the job of monitoring them a lot less boring!

Arubalisa
12-31-2009, 11:10 AM
but the US seems reluctant to put them into use.
Might have something to do with the price tag of $200,000 EACH. But then again, it is our safety and the US government has spent good money on many other more stupid things.

Just crank up the printers at the mint! :p ;) :rolleyes: :)

Arubalisa
01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm (http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm)
TSA Guidance for Passengers on Heightened Security Measures in Place Following Dec. 25 Incident

JohnL
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Q: What additional security measures are being taken for international flights to U.S. destinations?

A: On January 3, 2009, the Transportation Security Administration issued a new security directive to all U.S. and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010. The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.
TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. TSA directed the increase use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for majority passengers on U.S. bound international flights.

I SUPPOSE THERE COULD BE THE SLIGHT CHANCE THAT A TERRORIST MIGHT BOARD A PLANE IN ARUBA BOUND FOR THE USA, BUT SINCE WHEN HAS ARUBA BEEN A STATE SPONSOR OF TERRORISM OR A COUNTRY OF INTEREST? CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT TYPE OF SEARCHES ARE DONE TO PEOPLE FLYING INTO THE USA FROM LET'S SAY,YEMEN, GIVEN THE NEW SECURITY AT AUA???? WOW....I CAN'T WAIT TO FLY TO ARUBA THIS MONTH... AND I'M GOING US AIR.... OH NO!

I

Andrea J.
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
in no way does anyone ever consider aruba a terrorist country.
here is part of that TSA quote the part in RED is the important wording. the remaining part of that sentence probably should be its own sentence or at least have a comma thrown in.

"consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.
TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening."

i for one am glad that the TSA is taking measure to protect ME, my family and my friends.

your opinion is appreciated.
andrea

Q: What additional security measures are being taken for international flights to U.S. destinations?

A: On January 3, 2009, the Transportation Security Administration issued a new security directive to all U.S. and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010. The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.
TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. TSA directed the increase use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for majority passengers on U.S. bound international flights.

I SUPPOSE THERE COULD BE THE SLIGHT CHANCE THAT A TERRORIST MIGHT BOARD A PLANE IN ARUBA BOUND FOR THE USA, BUT SINCE WHEN HAS ARUBA BEEN A STATE SPONSOR OF TERRORISM OR A COUNTRY OF INTEREST? CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT TYPE OF SEARCHES ARE DONE TO PEOPLE FLYING INTO THE USA FROM LET'S SAY,YEMEN, GIVEN THE NEW SECURITY AT AUA???? WOW....I CAN'T WAIT TO FLY TO ARUBA THIS MONTH... AND I'M GOING US AIR.... OH NO!

I

fry120
01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Me too. I don't mind the pat downs and the searching through suitcases. It sucks, but just think what would happen if someone like the previous guy got on board with YOU and was actually ABLE to detonate a device! It is a pain, but it could potentially save your life.

Andrea J.
01-04-2010, 09:28 PM
ISRAEL'S EL AL seems to have it all figured out.
The TSA needs to crack down and just use the EL AL procedures or hire those folks as consultants.
But, the American travelers would not be very happy flying with EL AL policies.
I prefer safe in the air over happiness in the air.

purpleangel
01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I saw on the news last night that all passengers on international flights from 14 specific countries to the US are subject to enhanced screening. Aruba is NOT one of those countries.

Arubalisa
01-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I saw on the news last night that all passengers on international flights from 14 specific countries to the US are subject to enhanced screening. Aruba is NOT one of those countries.
Hopefully someone returning since Monday can report first hand on present departure procedures.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/010310_statement.shtm (http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/010310_statement.shtm)
TSA Statement on New Security Measures for International Flights to the U.S.

sunnysmiles
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Me too. I don't mind the pat downs and the searching through suitcases. It sucks, but just think what would happen if someone like the previous guy got on board with YOU and was actually ABLE to detonate a device! It is a pain, but it could potentially save your life.

We'll be heading to Aruba in March and my husband asked me last night how I felt about a pat down at the airport. I told him, I'd rather go thru that than be blown up thousands of feet in the air by some idiot wrapped in explosives! Hands down, no hesitation in my response!

I understand it's a pain to spend that much time in an airport, waiting in line after line but I have many many years of vacationing ahead of me and there's no way I'm letting that stop me! It's worth the time on the beach!

hvy747
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Last Saturday when we left Aruba, while standing at the gate TRYING to get to the bag search,mad rush, some people just won't move out of the way...I guess they don't know how they start loading a jet, after first class it's the back of the plane, moving forward according to seat numbers, that's the way at Cont. I just can't believe the amount of carryon. I better stop...I'll get carried away....sorry

cindyo
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
My thoughts..."Do whatever ya gotta do to keep my family and I safe"...

Chadd
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I just can't believe the amount of carryon.
The number of carry on bags has soared since airlines started charging for bags.

Arubalisa
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
The number of carry on bags has soared since airlines started charging for bags.
;) My opinion, and that only...

In my OP http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/heightened-security-queen-beatrix-airport-42787/#post160437 (http://www.aruba.com/forum/f33/heightened-security-queen-beatrix-airport-42787/#post160437) one of my points :o was that out of consideration for your fellow passengers, since everyone is in this together, to try to "plan" your carry on strategy a bit better. :confused:

The pat down did not hold up the boarding process it was the emptying of each carry on and then re-packing. :doh:

While waiting for our flight to depart, people on the flight ahead of us were yelling at anyone would listen about the long line and having to go through such a lengthy process. I guess they couldn't see the people with full size carry ons being unpacked and yes many were full of clothes.

I understand both sides. People don't want to pay to check luggage, the airlines are charging fees in order to stay in business.

Our government is ultimately going to make the decision on the amount of security required, but imo, out of consideration for your fellow passengers don't belly ache about the line if you are one of the folks who will be holding up the line yourself. :doh:

Either that or only travel where you can drive to and you will avoid all airport waits and delays all together. ;) We stopped flying to Florida after 911 and now drive. Timewise, driving is only a few hours more, airport commutes, wait times (without any delays)and flight time- 7 1/2 hours vs. 10 driving. Cars imo are more comfortable than an airplane, it is much less expensive and we can bring as much luggage as we can fit. :) Or in our case, as much Trader Joe's 2 buck Chuck as we think my Mom can drink. ;) :D

<<sigh>> Unfortunately it is not possible to drive to Aruba. :p

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6043Y420100105 (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6043Y420100105)
Canada to use full-body scanners for U.S. flights

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100105/D9D1FGIO1.html (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100105/D9D1FGIO1.html)
Spotty enforcement for new US air screening rules