PDA

View Full Version : US Air

dividiviprincess
01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I read alot of bad on here about US Air. We are flying out of Manchester NH @ 6:00 AM, layover in Charlotte NC, leaves NC 11:30 then onto beautiful Aruba :) Anyone ever had problems with any of these flights? Im a little worried now:o

Randi
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Our kids did that same flight last year and had no problem. With the exception of this year, we have had no problems with US Air and have found them very good.

dividiviprincess
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Our kids did that same flight last year and had no problem. With the exception of this year, we have had no problems with US Air and have found them very good.

Thanks Randi. I read you horror story on here and felt terrible for you. That really was not a very nice thing for US Air to do to their customers. If it wasnt for us they wouldnt even be here!! I used AA a few years ago and swore them off completely !! I had my 4 yar old daughter with me traveling alone to LA. I was trying to use the quick check in, where you do everything on the computer to save you time in line. Well to make a long story short I couldnt figure out the darn thing !! A lady from AA came tromping over to me like I was the biggest pain in her A#@ !! Raising her voice at me in front of my daughter, explaining to me how to use this check-in like I was such an idiot for not figuring it out myself. I was almost in tears when she was done checking me through. She was just awful and mean. And I was so kind and only wanted help. My daughter looked at her with such a scared look on her face. I wrote AA a letter after. And it did absolutely nothing ! I will never give them my business again ! Nor will any of my friends and family !! And thanks so much for giving me the scoop on these flights I have booked ! That was very nice of you :)

Randi
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
My pleasure....that's what we are here for, to help out all of our friends!:)

I think with every airline there can be issues (ok, mine was horrendous this year but I think/hope that is not the norm) but it is the way they handle the after math which is what we remember (same goes for restaurants ;)) and dictates how we move forward.

For us, US AIR has been fine on our flights to Aruba. Charlotte is a nice airport in that it is not too big and easy to get around in. Dec. '08 two of my kids did that exact 11:30am flight and had no troubles and thought it was great. I have had a layover there and had a positive experience.

Don't worry just enjoy!:)

dividiviprincess
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
My pleasure....that's what we are here for, to help out all of our friends!:)

I think with every airline there can be issues (ok, mine was horrendous this year but I think/hope that is not the norm) but it is the way they handle the after math which is what we remember (same goes for restaurants ;)) and dictates how we move forward.

For us, US AIR has been fine on our flights to Aruba. Charlotte is a nice airport in that it is not too big and easy to get around in. Dec. '08 two of my kids did that exact 11:30am flight and had no troubles and thought it was great. I have had a layover there and had a positive experience.

Don't worry just enjoy!:)

Thanks again Randi :) I spend way too much time on this website heehee

Randi
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Don't we all!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shnyda
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
US Air out of philly in late December lost 27 bags on one flight. They got them in the next day. It was a headache!

Tom and Karen
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
We have used U.S. Air out of Detroit thru Charlotte many times. Works good for us. We only stopped using when they started charging baggage fees.

Andrea J.
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
that is inexcusable behavior by the AA person.

for once i am speechless.
Thanks Randi. I read you horror story on here and felt terrible for you. That really was not a very nice thing for US Air to do to their customers. If it wasnt for us they wouldnt even be here!! I used AA a few years ago and swore them off completely !! I had my 4 yar old daughter with me traveling alone to LA. I was trying to use the quick check in, where you do everything on the computer to save you time in line. Well to make a long story short I couldnt figure out the darn thing !! A lady from AA came tromping over to me like I was the biggest pain in her A#@ !! Raising her voice at me in front of my daughter, explaining to me how to use this check-in like I was such an idiot for not figuring it out myself. I was almost in tears when she was done checking me through. She was just awful and mean. And I was so kind and only wanted help. My daughter looked at her with such a scared look on her face. I wrote AA a letter after. And it did absolutely nothing ! I will never give them my business again ! Nor will any of my friends and family !! And thanks so much for giving me the scoop on these flights I have booked ! That was very nice of you :)

purpleangel
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I travel from Hartford through Charlotte and have never had any problems with USAir.

TERJOE
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Just came home yesterday. Flew US Air and I had no trouble at all. Perfect flight going down from Philly and coming back. Enjoy Aruba. It was great. Can't wait to go back!:)

Chadd
01-20-2010, 02:19 AM
US Air out of philly in late December lost 27 bags on one flight. They got them in the next day. It was a headache!
The usual reason for that is too many tight connections. Especially if you are going from the express terminal to the main terminal.

Chadd
01-20-2010, 02:22 AM
I read alot of bad on here about US Air. We are flying out of Manchester NH @ 6:00 AM, layover in Charlotte NC, leaves NC 11:30 then onto beautiful Aruba :) Anyone ever had problems with any of these flights? Im a little worried now:o
Other than hating the security folks in Manchester, I've never had problems in either city. My wife loves the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in Charlotte (on the way to the D concourse), she always grabs a snack for the flight. I love the Carolina Pit BBQ in the main food court.

Shnyda
01-20-2010, 09:30 AM
The usual reason for that is too many tight connections. Especially if you are going from the express terminal to the main terminal.

We were direct out of Philly - most of the folks that had their bags lost were direct. I felt really bad for the one guy who lost his cooler with $350 in steaks and seafood!

CandyC55
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
No problem with US Air we fly out of Syracuse NY to Charlotte no problem then on to Aruba never late and never lost luggage. At least not yet!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

dividiviprincess
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
that is inexcusable behavior by the AA person.

for once i am speechless.
Haahaa your funny ANDREA !! Made me laugh :)

dividiviprincess
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
yikes !!!
us air out of philly in late december lost 27 bags on one flight. They got them in the next day. It was a headache!

dividiviprincess
01-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Other than hating the security folks in Manchester, I've never had problems in either city. My wife loves the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in Charlotte (on the way to the D concourse), she always grabs a snack for the flight. I love the Carolina Pit BBQ in the main food court.

Ohhh yummy !! I will have to try these places !! Thanks Chadd:p

dividiviprincess
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
No problem with US Air we fly out of Syracuse NY to Charlotte no problem then on to Aruba never late and never lost luggage. At least not yet!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

Thanks Candy !!:D

cukiecutr
01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I am sp sorry I did not book with US Air. I got a "group rate" and book direct flights for all and not they changed all to non direct. My parents (78) and young nieces and nephews will not arrive back in boston after midnight. I feel terrible but was angry that they never informed me. The only way I knew was from all the postings so I checked my flights. I can cancel but will most likely lose the ins $$ and the prices are much higher. I had booked back in September. Next year, we will back with US....we never had a problem. Shame on AA for not notifying people of changes like this!

arubadc
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
We've flow US air with a layover in Charlotte at 10 times in the past 7 yrs and have never had a problem.

dividiviprincess
01-21-2010, 03:43 PM
We've flow US air with a layover in Charlotte at 10 times in the past 7 yrs and have never had a problem.
Thank you so much. I feel much better now :)

danadog56
01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

DiviPrincess,
I too use USAir and except for 2 times traveling to Aruba...have always flown them. Only had one occasion where our luggage didn't make it till the next day and that was only because we were late out of Pittsburgh going to Philadelphia not charlotte and the connection was so short the baggage handlers could not get them from one plane to another quick enough....we gpt vpuchers to buy neccessaties and our bags were there the next afternoon......as others have said, the charlotte airport is pretty easy to manuver through and there are a few places close to the gate that you can get munchies, magazines, etc for the flight.
As for AA...I would have kept after them until I got some kind of answer.....if I did that in my job, I would be in the unemployment line before I could finish my sentence.....
Have fun in Aruba...take lots of pictures and post a bunch on your return !!!!

dividiviprincess
01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
DiviPrincess,
I too use USAir and except for 2 times traveling to Aruba...have always flown them. Only had one occasion where our luggage didn't make it till the next day and that was only because we were late out of Pittsburgh going to Philadelphia not charlotte and the connection was so short the baggage handlers could not get them from one plane to another quick enough....we gpt vpuchers to buy neccessaties and our bags were there the next afternoon......as others have said, the charlotte airport is pretty easy to manuver through and there are a few places close to the gate that you can get munchies, magazines, etc for the flight.
As for AA...I would have kept after them until I got some kind of answer.....if I did that in my job, I would be in the unemployment line before I could finish my sentence.....
Have fun in Aruba...take lots of pictures and post a bunch on your return !!!!

Thanks so much :) Im not worried as much now thanks to all the kind people on here! And that horrible story about AA, I have never gotten over it. And that was a few years ago. Never again let me tell you. I have never been treated so rude, and in front of my little one:mad: OHHHH !!! Its a little too late to make anything of it now with AA. My bad ! Should have talked to manager or a higer up I guess. Thanks for the response:D

Chadd
01-28-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm in Charlotte right now after taking the redeye back from Vegas. I've been sitting in a rocking chair for more than an hour waiting to pick up some chocolate for my wife. She's picking me up when I get home, so I have to be nice.

Aruba76
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
We flew US Air out of Charlottesville to Hartford with a connection in Charlotte on Monday evening. Our suitcase finally arrived home 12 hours later (not because of a tight layover - our flight was delayed over an hour so not sure why our bag didn't make it - the only one on the full flight that didn't) with some items missing. Not sure if it was the baggage handlers in Charlottesville or Charlotte or TSA - our suitcase was opened and inspected on our flight down and our flight back. Are these checks random? Kind of makes you feel helpless that they can help themselves to whatever they want. Thank goodness it was nothing valuable, but still upsetting.

superbee
01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I've used US Airways for the last 3 years (Mpls to Charlotte to Aruba) and have had no problems. I hope the same is true for your next trip. Enjoy!

Chadd
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
We flew US Air out of Charlottesville to Hartford with a connection in Charlotte on Monday evening. Our suitcase finally arrived home 12 hours later (not because of a tight layover - our flight was delayed over an hour so not sure why our bag didn't make it - the only one on the full flight that didn't) with some items missing. Not sure if it was the baggage handlers in Charlottesville or Charlotte or TSA - our suitcase was opened and inspected on our flight down and our flight back. Are these checks random? Kind of makes you feel helpless that they can help themselves to whatever they want. Thank goodness it was nothing valuable, but still upsetting.
I strongly suggest buying TSA approved locks for your bags. At least if something is missing with one of them on your bag, you know who to blame.

Arubalisa
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I strongly suggest buying TSA approved locks for your bags. At least if something is missing with one of them on your bag, you know who to blame.
:) We have been using them about 3 years now and have never had any problems.

CandyC55
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
We've used US Air for 3 years with no problems and that is from Syracuse NY to Charlotte to Aruba never a problem. But there's always a first time...

purpleangel
01-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Ditto what a few other posters said about TSA approved locks. If items are taken out of your bags, it narrows down potential suspects tremendously.

Aruba76
01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you for letting me know about the locks. Didn't know that was an option. I'll look into getting some.

paulandnan
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Have used US Airways nonstop from Boston since 2007. But, will be using them for the last time after Thanksgiving with a stopover in Charlotte because we have miles to use and they are discontinuing their nonstop after mid-May. Will be switching over to Jet Blue from now on because of their nonstop flights. Didn't have any complaints about US Air for the times that we used them, partly because we use carry-on's; so we never had to wait for luggage. In Dec. we noticed that the plane was starting to show it's age (ie. stains on seats, tray tables out of alignment, some windows showing condensation between panes, etc.)

dividiviprincess
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Have used US Airways nonstop from Boston since 2007. But, will be using them for the last time after Thanksgiving with a stopover in Charlotte because we have miles to use and they are discontinuing their nonstop after mid-May. Will be switching over to Jet Blue from now on because of their nonstop flights. Didn't have any complaints about US Air for the times that we used them, partly because we use carry-on's; so we never had to wait for luggage. In Dec. we noticed that the plane was starting to show it's age (ie. stains on seats, tray tables out of alignment, some windows showing condensation between panes, etc.)

Condensation between panes ?? Why does that happen? Hope the plane wont fall apart on the flight !! YIKES !!! I am a nervous flyer. Im going to wear ear plugs and blinders or i am going to drive my hubs crazy with fear !! Nuttin like flying to Aruba on US Chitty Chitty Bang Bang !! :eek:

Randi
02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Condensation between panes ?? Why does that happen? Hope the plane wont fall apart on the flight !! YIKES !!! I am a nervous flyer. Im going to wear ear plugs and blinders or i am going to drive my hubs crazy with fear !! Nuttin like flying to Aruba on US Chitty Chitty Bang Bang !! :eek:

Perhaps the best idea would be Valium instead of the ear plugs and blinders!:D

Andrea J.
02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
lots of planes are showing age and wear and tear. it is unnerving to say the least.
dear husband had an malfunctioning seatbelt on our flight TO aruba. took the flight attendant quite a while to get him a seat with a working seatbelt. it are those things...condensation, stains, broken seatbelts that make one question the airlines' abilities to maintain the basic repairs and maintenance on planes

Chadd
02-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Condensation between the inner cabin window and the outer window on the airframe is not a sign of a dangerous condition. It's simply the difference in temperature at altitude that causes it.

dividiviprincess
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Perhaps the best idea would be Valium instead of the ear plugs and blinders!:D

Haahaa im calling my doctor right now Randi !!:D

dividiviprincess
02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
lots of planes are showing age and wear and tear. it is unnerving to say the least.
dear husband had an malfunctioning seatbelt on our flight TO aruba. took the flight attendant quite a while to get him a seat with a working seatbelt. it are those things...condensation, stains, broken seatbelts that make one question the airlines' abilities to maintain the basic repairs and maintenance on planes

Makes me wonder too Andrea:rolleyes:

dividiviprincess
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Condensation between the inner cabin window and the outer window on the airframe is not a sign of a dangerous condition. It's simply the difference in temperature at altitude that causes it.

Hey I feel smarter already Chadd:p Thanks !! Now next time I fly I will tell my family "I know why that condensation is there" heeheee